Is there such a thing as a FWD (front-wheel drive) sportscar? - Page 32 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
View Poll Results: Can Front-wheel Drive cars be sportscars?
Yes 193 46.28%
No 85 20.38%
H#ll no! 139 33.33%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #621 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 AM

Lots of strong opinions, and for good reason; nobody wants their ideals/dreams crapped on. That said, I take a more holistic approach to the term "sports car". To me it's simply a vehicle that brings joy to the driver through driving. I can understand the strong opinions where sports cars should be this or that in terms of physical specification, but to me that only limits the possibility you might simply love driving something that doesn't fit those rigid guidelines. It could be that I was never a fan of accepting what society told me what I was supposed to like and was determined to discover driving pleasure on my own.

Has anyone brought up Evo magazines 100 greatest drivers' cars of all time? Those would be my definition of a sports car, and there are a handful of front-drivers in there.

'07 Exige S270 :: Aspen White ::

"This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
Sterling Mallory Archer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #622 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 AM

Not sure why anyone would say no. I've owned 2 and yes they are incredable sports cars. Unless you have driven one you're opinion (vote) doesn't count. I currently own my second original Elan (S2) and have a owned a total of 12 rear wheel drive sports cars (Bugeye, Tigers, Alpines, Miatas, Alfa, and Elans). The M100 is a real sports car!
post #623 of 628 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 11:11 AM

Front wheel drive sports car

Absolutely- the SAAB Sonnet was pure sports car - whether you had it with 3 cyl 2-stroke or the V-4. Had a '71 for over 35 years. Not the greatest auto cross car (especially compared to my '67 Elan) but wonderful for road rallies- especially after putting in a turbocharger. Fun car and plastic-fantastic, too.

post #624 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 06:19 PM

Cool

The SAAB Sonnet - in both 2-stroke and V-4 configurations was definitely a sports car. FWD, 2 seater, 4 speed and lots of torque. Had a '71 for 35 years. Was great for road rally (especially after I turbo-charged it) but with 60% of the weight on the front end, it was a bear at autocross (Never could keep up with that Elan....)
post #625 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 07:24 PM

H#ll no, FWD cannot handle enough HP to be considered a sports car, if you have a high HP FWD car it will handle and drive like garbage. BTW I DD a '13 Cooper S
post #626 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
H#ll no, FWD cannot handle enough HP to be considered a sports car, if you have a high HP FWD car it will handle and drive like garbage. BTW I DD a '13 Cooper S

So what you're saying is an elise isn't a sports car since it has less power than a Mini Cooper S?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #627 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 08:19 AM

I'm not a fan, and obviously for any given car, RWD has more performance potential.

That said, I voted yes. if we start looking at some of the POS RWD cars out there that are billed as sports cars, I'd rather have a nice Mini any day.

IMO, sports car just means a car that is designed more for driving enjoyment than baby seats or whatever, so there are a lot of cars I don't necessarily love that fit the bill.

Pat Wildfire

06 Elise
02 Triumph 955i
93 Mazda RX7 3 rotor
09 Mini Clubman
14 Mercedes GLK250
99 Mygale FC
post #628 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
So what you're saying is an elise isn't a sports car since it has less power than a Mini Cooper S?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Not at all, but the Lotus has a much better hp to weight ratio and sends the power to the proper wheels with an excellent weight balance and the engine in the correct location. My Exige is a NA '06 and I think it is an excellent sports car with its 190hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in