2012 Lotus Evora IPS Observations - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By chrislynn5
  • 2 Post By Julian73

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

2012 Lotus Evora IPS Observations

I've had my 2012 Lotus Evora IPS (20k miles) for a little while now (7 months) so I thought I'd list my observations.

1.) The stereo: I have the tech package with the upgraded Pioneer system. Growing up, Alpine was always the better system.
But for Lotus that is the stock system? I find the Pioneer system:
- interface difficult to use
- the navigation screen has a lot of icons that don't seem to be much help
- the map upgrade price is something like $120+
- I found it confusing as to what software version and updating should be performed. The website states
if you have one version, do this. If another do this, etc. And don't do it unless you have an iPhone..
I use an Android phone.
- the sound volume dial is almost useless, it's so small that when you try to grab it and hit a bump you shut it off or select another input
- there are no back speakers! just a sub-woofer. It's such a small cabin, it needs rear speaker to balance the sound out, and those could be used for what bass is needed
- the phone blue tooth integration is almost useless, callers say they can't hear me or there is too much distortion. I couldn't figure out how to dial a number and then type in a code (i.e. conference calling, etc.) painful

2.) Wiper motor makes noise. I can't tell if too loud, or normal. I've heard it goes out early. I have purchased a replacement but before I swap them out I wish I knew what was too noisy

3.) Door sensor: It was delivered with the passenger door sensor not working. So I couldn't lock the car.
That required a sensor replacement

4.) A/C: It was delivered with warm air only from the A/C. I found out that the software version affects the rotation of the compressor motor.
So when it was flashed and updated, I had cooled air!

5.) Oil change: That was nice and easy. I think it had more than 6.1 quarts of oil in it though. After heating the oil and added more till in spec.

6.) Engine air filter: That was hard, to get the air box cover off, removing the center connector piece and get it back on was difficult. A lot of good posts out there that help.

7.) Pollen air filter: That was easy. A little pricey as I had to order from over seas. $39

8.) Front end alignment: I'm getting steering wheel vibration around 80 mph. It's pretty noticeable. Do I need balancing and alignment?
Below 70 the car drive straight and I can let go of the wheel and it drive straight.

9.) Wing/Tail: I've added a new wing, that was easy to replace. Swapping out the CHMSL.

10.) Side scoops: I've added carbon fiber air intake scoops on the side. That was hard. I glued them on, and since my car is yellow, the black glue compound required tedious work to make sure it looked good.

I'm now looking at changing out the front bumper to the GTE style, and also change the Side A panels to GT4 style.

My Evora is yellow with black vinyl.

Last edited by chrislynn5; 04-22-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislynn5 View Post
1.) The stereo: I have the tech package with the upgraded Pioneer system. Growing up, Alpine was always the better system.

2.) Wiper motor makes noise. I can't tell if too loud, or normal. I've heard it goes out early. I have purchased a replacement but before I swap them out I wish I knew what was too noisy

7.) Pollen air filter: That was easy. A little pricey as I had to order from over seas. $39

8.) Front end alignment: I'm getting steering wheel vibration around 80 mph. It's pretty noticeable. Do I need balancing and alignment?
Below 70 the car drive straight and I can let go of the wheel and it drive straight.
1) Both of the "stock" units aren't the best. They're also a number of years outdated, so most people swap them with any modern double-DIN unit.

2) Mine recently started making noise. The motor itself shouldn't really be noticeable when the wiper is moving. So any sound that isn't the rubber against glass sound is likely too much.

7) I think @HethelSport stocks these domestically.

8) You shouldn't get vibration at any speed in the steering wheel. It should also track straight on a flat road, but might drift towards the shoulder on crowned roads. Balance and alignment might be in order.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:42 PM

So far my 2012 IPS is rock solid. I picked up last week. Radio is not the best, but work. No strange noises during call. But my other car is a 2019 PHEV Mini Cooper Countryman, sometimes I miss the full technology, lights and confort. The only strange sound is the vibration coming from the exhaust during idle. I think is the diffuser.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:41 AM

I have a 2012 Evora S, and I laughed at your post! Your radio observations are spot-on. Trying to touch the screen to interface is affected by every bump, and there is almost nothing intuitive about using the GPS of the radio.

My wiper motor is making a horrid noise as well, and I need to change it. Do you have a good (as in reasonably priced) source for a replacement?

I never had the Ac trouble, as mine is superb; was freezing in the CA & AZ desert in August, and the car never came close to overheating.

But what an amazing and euphoric drivers' car the Evora is, right!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa TC View Post
I have a 2012 Evora S, and I laughed at your post! Your radio observations are spot-on. Trying to touch the screen to interface is affected by every bump, and there is almost nothing intuitive about using the GPS of the radio.

My wiper motor is making a horrid noise as well, and I need to change it. Do you have a good (as in reasonably priced) source for a replacement?

I never had the Ac trouble, as mine is superb; was freezing in the CA & AZ desert in August, and the car never came close to overheating.

I've been purchasing parts and upgrades from two sources.
Elise Shop, Yvo Tuk, https://www.elise-shop.com/ (this is where I got the wiper motor, best price I found),
1 ea. WIPER DRIVE ASSEMBLY, LHD 225.27
I also have a wing from them.

Hethelsport, Sherman Koo, Lotus Evora Parts & Accessories | HethelSport (New GTE bumper and A panels coming)

Two of the nicest people I have found in this hobby. They were patient through all my emails, etc.
They get busy in the summer though.

Next, I think the stereo has to go That rear camera is for ****.
Europa TC likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
1)
8) You shouldn't get vibration at any speed in the steering wheel. It should also track straight on a flat road, but might drift towards the shoulder on crowned roads. Balance and alignment might be in order.
Well that sucks, fortunately I have a Lotus Mechanic that opened his own shop 2 miles from my home. What are the odds. He was the head Mechanic here at the Lotus/Lambo/Aston/McLarn dealer here in Atlanta.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa TC View Post

Hence my license plate
Attached Images

tye-bo and Europa TC like this.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

No one has noticed my license plate is the postal code for Lotus google it
I guess images [IMG] don't work on this site,
try this.
http://www.atari8bitcarts.com/images/DSCF2352.jpg

Last edited by chrislynn5; 04-24-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in