2017 Evora 400 simple stereo upgrade DIY - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2017 Evora 400 simple stereo upgrade DIY

Hey guys I have the INE-W960 double din head unit and it sounded like I was playing music from my iPhone as it laid on the dash. The Tuneit app was not much help, but today Santa hooked me up with a nice DIY project that turned out great. The sound difference is night and day.

Alpine KTP-445A 4 channel power amplifier.
Alpine SPR-50 coaxial 2-way speaker system (5.25”)
Utool 15 piece trim tools

Thanks to Mobius97 for the tips and the Service Notes showing disassembly of the head unit & doors.

I started by disconnecting the battery and carefully pulling the bezel/trim around the head unit. I found the best way was to use the trim tools to pop the left lower side then top left before working the right side top and bottom out. To be honest, it took a while for me to work up the nerve to apply enough the force to unseat the clips, but all 4 eventually popped straight out towards me.

Next were the 4 Phillips head screws holding the head unit in place and it slid right out. The amplifier connections are plug and play with no modifications needed. I checked all of the connections and tucked the amplifier in the back before sliding the head unit back into place.

Next I worked on the doors following the instructions in the Service Notes. There was no need to dig out the window switches as I didn’t completely disconnect the door panel from the door. I just leaned the door panel against the door after I pulled it off while working on the speakers. Removing the door trim components using the trim tools was pretty straightforward. If at first you can’t get one area to free up just move around to another until they all pop free. The 5.25” Alpine speakers fit perfectly in the door. Note, the factory doesn’t give you much slack in the speaker wires so you might want to add extensions to make it easier to connect the new speakers. Then you just have to reinstall the door trim components and connect the battery.

If you cut out time spent Google-ing what the clips look like and me using less force than necessary because I was worried about ordering broken Lotus trim components the whole job took about 2-2.5 hours. After you get the hang of it with the first door, installation in the second door will take no more than 20 minutes.

Thank goodness I didn’t break anything and it and it all went back together perfectly. I could not have done it without help from this site so I figured I would write this up and add some pics. Merry Christmas.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I forgot to mention, my subwoofer still isn’t working and I have checked the fuse box as well as the amplifier (green light). While the head unit was out I checked the red-white-yellow AV connections, but they were fine. The one thing I did find behind the radio was a strange green-black wire with a connector that did not have a mate. Does anybody know what this goes to?Name:  AB068F41-F5F2-4C35-9458-FCCE027C75FB_1545794035210.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  72.7 KB
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 09:14 PM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docflaco View Post
I forgot to mention, my subwoofer still isn’t working and I have checked the fuse box as well as the amplifier (green light). While the head unit was out I checked the red-white-yellow AV connections, but they were fine. The one thing I did find behind the radio was a strange green-black wire with a connector that did not have a mate. Does anybody know what this goes to?Attachment 1221496
The subwoofer in my new 400 isn’t working as well. I’ve done the same checks and no luck.
I also found the same wire not connected to anything behind the dash. I’m going to check into it more this next weekend and report back findings. If you beat me to it make sure to post it here!

Check out GregsRaceParts.com for all of your Elise, Exige and Evora parts needs!
Email:[email protected]
IG: @gregsraceparts
FB: @gregsraceparts

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 04:33 AM

Garage
I wonder if this amp is plug and plug for a '10 S1?

'10 Lotus Evora
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am pretty sure they make one that fits your head unit. The directions are very simple: “gray connector to the gray connector and black connector to the black connector”.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:58 AM

Thanks for posting. Changing the speakers is the number one thing on my list.

In addition to the helpful post, any other tips/tricks to removing the door panels? I like the idea of just leaving the window switches alone. Seems like there was also plenty of room for the amplifier? Lastly, if you had to split the improvement between the speakers and the amp, what would you say? E.g., better sound is 50% amp, 50% speakers? Thanks.

For others, I had switched the head units on my Elise, and my first Evora (2012 NA IPS). It seems like the Alpine's are generally plug-and-play across most models, but you can find all of the manuals on line, and at the back they show all the connections, so you can see if they P&P exactly, or if not, which wire goes to which.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
There was plenty of space for the amplifier to fit. You could probably fit 2-3 of them in there, not that you would need to.

Door tip: the door handle cover was removed by prying between the leather-coated cover and the hard plastic handle with the trim tools. I started at the point and worked up to the top before working the lower portion off. The clips in the doors look similar to the non-Lotus thumbnail pic below. I didn’t take a pic of the clips so I found this pic online. Apply pressure to the trim straight towards with the trim tool crowbar to get them out of the holes.

There are 2 bolts behind the storage bin, 2 large silver bolts behind the door handle, and 1 bolt on the top leading edge of the door. Don’t forget the 4 plastic rivets under the door as well. Work the crowbar trim tool under each and pull hard. I couldn’t get the inside piece pulled out so I yanked the whole plunger-type fastener at once then used a small Allen to push out the plunger before re-installing.

I say the amplifier added the most, but I was able to hear a significant difference between the stock and the new one after I installed the drivers side.

Everything was purchased from Amazon for $250.
Attached Images

Dylan likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:16 PM

Thanks!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
Just got an evora 400 and haven’t had the time to look into all the options on the alpine because my car is hibernating for the winter.

Does your head unit dim at night (new or OEM). Mine didn’t when I drove it home last week. Seemed very distracting.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
They don't dim although the GPS display will go into a typical night mode with a dark background and highlighted routes rather than the light background and dark roads it shows during day.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:04 AM

the lack of dimming is likely due to how the headlights run in the Evora. If the low-beams are constant on like they were in the S1 Evora (To meet the DRL requirement, although the 400 has the LED DRLs so they may not be) then the head unit will not dim, even if wired up.

2016 AMG GT-S
2012 Caterham R400 (sold)
2010 Chrome Orange Evora (Sold )
2005 ST Elise (sold)
2002 MB G500 lifted etc.
2003 Cooper S (track)
we'll see what Lotus comes up with next...
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:58 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictusmaneo View Post
the lack of dimming is likely due to how the headlights run in the Evora. If the low-beams are constant on like they were in the S1 Evora (To meet the DRL requirement, although the 400 has the LED DRLs so they may not be) then the head unit will not dim, even if wired up.
400's DRL's are the real thing, not jury-rigged headlights so all dimming circuits on dash and A/C switches work. Still something with the W960 though my booklet does not show a headlight signal wire to it, only way I found to dim it was to set settings to night. .. we are getting to the 20th century one step at a time.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjandern View Post
Just got an evora 400 and haven’t had the time to look into all the options on the alpine because my car is hibernating for the winter.

Does your head unit dim at night (new or OEM). Mine didn’t when I drove it home last week. Seemed very distracting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusquacious View Post
They don't dim although the GPS display will go into a typical night mode with a dark background and highlighted routes rather than the light background and dark roads it shows during day.
This is much more clearly stated. Mine wasn’t going into night mode. I’ll have to play around with it in the spring. Thanks to all who gave input
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
I should mention that mine switches mode automatically depending on ambient light, just as it does on my other units.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:30 PM

You should have a selector menu for day/night (somewhere in "Display"?), and this usually has an "auto" mode, so if it does, this might solve the problem.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:32 PM

Garage
Very interesting. Looks like Pioneer makes a similar one for my particular S1 (2012 with the AVIC-X940BT)

Where did you grab power and ground from for the amp?
Lckitty likes this.

'12 Evora S - 'Bob Lutz' Edition
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:48 AM
scv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusquacious View Post
I should mention that mine switches mode automatically depending on ambient light, just as it does on my other units.
As does my '17 400, and as did my '12 S...........

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docflaco View Post
Hey guys I have the INE-W960 double din head unit and it sounded like I was playing music from my iPhone as it laid on the dash. The Tuneit app was not much help, but today Santa hooked me up with a nice DIY project that turned out great. The sound difference is night and day.

Alpine KTP-445A 4 channel power amplifier.
Alpine SPR-50 coaxial 2-way speaker system (5.25Ē)
Utool 15 piece trim tools

Thanks to Mobius97 for the tips and the Service Notes showing disassembly of the head unit & doors.

I started by disconnecting the battery and carefully pulling the bezel/trim around the head unit. I found the best way was to use the trim tools to pop the left lower side then top left before working the right side top and bottom out. To be honest, it took a while for me to work up the nerve to apply enough the force to unseat the clips, but all 4 eventually popped straight out towards me.

Next were the 4 Phillips head screws holding the head unit in place and it slid right out. The amplifier connections are plug and play with no modifications needed. I checked all of the connections and tucked the amplifier in the back before sliding the head unit back into place.

Next I worked on the doors following the instructions in the Service Notes. There was no need to dig out the window switches as I didnít completely disconnect the door panel from the door. I just leaned the door panel against the door after I pulled it off while working on the speakers. Removing the door trim components using the trim tools was pretty straightforward. If at first you canít get one area to free up just move around to another until they all pop free. The 5.25Ē Alpine speakers fit perfectly in the door. Note, the factory doesnít give you much slack in the speaker wires so you might want to add extensions to make it easier to connect the new speakers. Then you just have to reinstall the door trim components and connect the battery.

If you cut out time spent Google-ing what the clips look like and me using less force than necessary because I was worried about ordering broken Lotus trim components the whole job took about 2-2.5 hours. After you get the hang of it with the first door, installation in the second door will take no more than 20 minutes.

Thank goodness I didnít break anything and it and it all went back together perfectly. I could not have done it without help from this site so I figured I would write this up and add some pics. Merry Christmas.
Thanks for the write up! Would you mind sharing the service notes/manual on removing everything? Did you just lay the amp behind the head unit or did you use something to fasten it in place?

For you and Greg, Tj at Carlock Motors in Brentwood spent quite some time trying to get my non-working sub and amp to work. It had power at the amp and was flashing error codes. Finally Lotus sent him a new sub and amp and he swapped them in and worked fine so it may be an amp issue and not a wiring issue like mine was. They checked every connection ten times and finally just replaced it all and worked fine after!! Guess it was just a dud unit from the factory

Spencer

Last edited by rsm688; 01-07-2019 at 06:41 AM.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:15 AM

Also, when you say the amp connections were plug and play. Do you mean you didn't have to do any wiring at all? Or just as far as the speaker component wires? Did you just plug it into the head unit RCA connections and then plug the speaker connections into it or what?

Where did you tap your power from for the amp and ground it at?
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The amp is a direct fit so no splicing is needed. The connectors are manufactured to fit perfectly.

I used zip ties to make sure it doesnít rattle around and tidy up the wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in