2017 vs 2018 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

2017 vs 2018

Looking at jumping into an Evora. Noticed that some really good deals exist on the 2017 models now. Besides the Carbon Fiber package, is there any notable differences between the two model years? Any mechanical differences or otherwise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:48 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Nope.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Just the carbon fiber and the 2018s tend to have premium color paint jobs.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. If that is the case has anyone seen a White, Kawasaki Green or Mettalic blue in person with the Carbon Fiber Roof and Tailgate?

What is your opinion on those colors with that spec?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:26 PM

after talking to a Lotus tech the 2018's seem to have the bugs worked out with several issues. Supercharger,battery charge etc. I am not a 400 owner so please take that with a grain of salt. just info I collected before my purchase.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdom View Post
after talking to a Lotus tech the 2018's seem to have the bugs worked out with several issues. Supercharger,battery charge etc. I am not a 400 owner so please take that with a grain of salt. just info I collected before my purchase.
Well since 400's have been built since 2015 model year for rest of world and those items are not specific to the US production I'm not sure 2018 would have any updates since 2017 models. My 2017 seems fine.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
Mine's good and saying that made my lips taste salty.

A supercharger seal on a few of the '17s failed . Mine was one of them. It was a part supplied by Edelbrock in their blower and could happen to any component part. Like the upholstery issue on some 17s, once it was replaced it was over. No doubt Lotus changed the upholstery clips in response to the issue with the seats but apart from that most of the 18s look like expensive 17s to me. I like special paint and carbon as much as the next guy but if there was anything more, I suspect we'd know.

I couldn't buy a $115K '18 knowing I could get a '17 for $35K less but I'm content with a plain old 400. I know not all of the cars brought over for '18 are loaded up and some less jazzy cars are out there. But they all look similar to me if given a pinch of carbon here and a squeeze of lime green there.

I know.....I'm a Philistine! Truth is, if money were no object I'd order exactly the one I wanted, damn the torpedoes. Very unfortunately for me, it is.
pharriso and robbdom like this.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:32 AM
edkap2002

i Love the look of the engine visible through the glass panel on the 2017!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Just test drove the Evora 400 today.

First Impression:

Nimble, direct steering (although dealer did not have many winding roads close by to test on). I has to settle for roundabouts. Lol.

As said many times before, great sounding engine.

Turning radius seemed to extremely good. Wasn't expecting that.

Compact inside but not cramped. I like that.

Direct and notchy shifter. Not as notchy as the GT350R Tremec transmission but better than the GT4 which to me is too smooth.

Even though it's over 3,000 lbs car still feels light enough to throw around the turns and enjoy some late breaking at the track.

The ride was surprisingly good. With the suspension setup I was expecting a much stiffer drive.

The sound dampening in the interior is better than I expected.

All in all it felt like a more refined, grown up version of the S260.

I have a few questions I would like the forum to help answer:

Did anyone upgrade to the Titanium exhaust on the 410/430 and what difference was noticeable?

Does the AC cool well?

Is it just me or does anyone find the digital displays on the dash of low resolution?

How does the car drive on wet roads with Pilot Super Sports? If I purchased I really would like to put the Cup2 tires on as their grip is on matched.

Did anyone upgrade the stereo head unit? To what?

Are there any maintenance issues to look out for on a car with 7000 miles?

The leather seats are comfortable but the leather feels like it will wear poorly. Is this the case?

Any advice you guys can give I would appreciate.

Thanks
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:32 AM
scv

"Does the AC cool well?

Is it just me or does anyone find the digital displays on the dash of low resolution? "

My '17 400. AC excellent; I added heat rejecting film to windshield/side windows, and do not need full AC in Florida +90deg. for my comfort.
Portion of the digital display is muted when using polarized sunglasses.

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRS View Post
I have a few questions I would like the forum to help answer:

Did anyone upgrade to the Titanium exhaust on the 410/430 and what difference was noticeable?

Does the AC cool well?

Is it just me or does anyone find the digital displays on the dash of low resolution?

How does the car drive on wet roads with Pilot Super Sports? If I purchased I really would like to put the Cup2 tires on as their grip is on matched.

Did anyone upgrade the stereo head unit? To what?

Are there any maintenance issues to look out for on a car with 7000 miles?

The leather seats are comfortable but the leather feels like it will wear poorly. Is this the case?

Any advice you guys can give I would appreciate.

Thanks
Titanium exhaust? I'm curious about the Top Speed exhaust and how it is long term/road trip wise.
https://topspeedauto.com/lotus-evora...ith-resonator/

The A/C does great, I had an issue with my S1 (I think it was a stuck TXV), but I've been in crazy TX heat/humidity with no issues.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the PSS's since they are too noisy, but they have great wet grip. I'll be going to PS4s or Indy 500's after this set is due.

The screens are low resolution and mine flicker if you're viewing them off axis. Meh, it's a Lotus thing.

The factory unit is awful, I just replaced mine with a Pioneer unit, I tried another Alpine unit, but it was terrible. You will have to rewire the car harness for a unit that isn't Alpine.

I had my S1 from 26k-36k, and all it needed maintenance wise was oil changes and tires. Although the new owner got in touch with me noted that the clutch master went out (known issue) and the input shaft seal on the trans was leaking (early build issue?).

As for the leather, I haven't experienced any issues, but I only have 2K~ miles on mine.

Hope that helps!

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:17 AM

Would echo tye-bo's comments on the factory head unit. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but the Evora 400's factory setup is laughably poor. I had a '12 Evora S and never felt the need to upgrade, but the 400's system from day 1 was mind-bogglingly crappy.

I switched to an Android-Auto capable Alpine (with the benefit of hindsight i wouldn't have bothered), along with an amp and new speakers/sub, and it has made a world of difference.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:46 AM

Owner of 2017 400 here that I have put almost 5k miles on from new. Agree with so much of what has been said. A/C is shockingly good, even on 100+ degree days - I barely have to run it at half speed (and my windows are not even tinted).

The weight savings of the carbon hatch seem nice but, ultimately, for me it would not be a deal killer (I love being able to see the engine through the glass, to be honest). I am not sure what kind of deals are out there on 17s vs 18s currently, but last May I bought my 400 (which had about 70 miles on it) for 23% off sticker and I had similar deals (20+% off) available through other dealers on different cars all over the US so I would imagine a 17 could be had for a REALLY sweet deal right now.

And yes, the stereo is comically, shockingly bad. Like the old AM radio in my grandmother's kitchen when I was growing up bad. But . . . when you have an engine that sounds as fantastic as this one, I usually never even use it. I drove it 900 miles home from the dealership and probably had it on for a total of 5 minutes and have taken numerous other 2+ hour trips and never get bored with no music.

These Evoras are the absolute hidden gems of the sportscar world. I drove a friend's 991 Carrera S PDK recently and just went "meh" - the Lotus has ruined me!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:58 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Another positive report on the AC here. You'll be cool, calm and collected in the worst of the hot summer weather the south can throw at you. The HVAC is just fine.

As for the rest, buy in confidence. The leather has held up, the upholstery is not sagging or wrinkled after 18 months of suffering abuse under my lard ass (once it had been corrected with the proper factory clips: ask if you want to know about that) . Better, it has retained the aroma of my first baseball glove which I find a considerable bonus to the leather pack and very critical to the "I drive a British car" experience.

The car is tight and rattle free, and as for the rest, you buy the car knowing that the infotainment system isn't world class but it does get the job done. Priorities vary on that so if it stabbed you in the heart to give up the option of paying $5K for the Burmeister system in a Porsche, comfort yourself knowing you still have the cash to upgrade to any double din system on the market with money left over. The backup camera works, the beepers beep, the road lighting (nobody ever mentions this) is quite good, the fit and. finish are not exemplary ( this is the main critique of the car when compared to its peers ) but once ensconced in the driver's seat. the Evora is remarkably comfortable and perfectly suited to long days in the saddle. Really, really comfortable to me. That was the thing that pushed me over the line. How could a Lotus be this accommodating when my previous impression was that they were heretofore the most annoyingly compromised and least practical cars on the road?
Answer: I was wrong! In the form of the Evora, it's a cosseting place to be.

You buy an Evora because you want the top tier driving experience, the exotic packaging and a fundamentally simple but profoundly satisfying drive. The car comes with some compromises; no frippery that wasn't available ten years ago in a GTI, and the usual limitations that accrue to a car that is made in small (teensy weensy actually) batches of ten or twenty at a time.

In return you get the drive of a lifetime in a car you can use every day. Works for me. I've no regrets and don't feel the least bit deprived in the company of Huracans, Corvettes, Aston Martins, Jaguars.......or Porsche 911s.

Rather made me into a Lotus person. A shocking outcome I never in a hundred years would have thought possible two years ago!
javistor likes this.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusquacious View Post
Rather made me into a Lotus person. A shocking outcome I never in a hundred years would have thought possible two years ago!
The same happened to me, being brand agnostic until my first Evora. Selling it to buy an R8 and instantly regretting the decision. Traded the Audi in for the E400 and haven't looked back.

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
Well since 400's have been built since 2015 model year for rest of world and those items are not specific to the US production I'm not sure 2018 would have any updates since 2017 models. My 2017 seems fine.
this dealer is in a large city and has had several super charger fails, Does not mean they all will but it is a known issue. I think Jayemm traded his after this problem. He is the only reason I looked at Lotus. I honestly had forgot about their cars for a time. Big mistake
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:02 PM

I upgraded stereo to a Alpine INE-977HD, was a 15 minute swap and now have Carplay which I wanted and in case of no cell signal has a good nav in it.

Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:47 AM
scv

Lotusquacious-"Rather made me into a Lotus person. A shocking outcome I never in a hundred years would have thought possible two years ago! "

Agree..........nothing else needs saying...........
javistor likes this.

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for a the great feedback. Every since buying my Exige nothing else seems to give me that raw driver experience but a Lotus for the price point.

After trying the GT4, R8 and a few others twhich all had positives but fell flat on overall enjoyment that the little seat time I had with the Evora gave me. The Evora feels like the more mature Exige.

The hunt now becomes about a good deal on an Evora 400. Hopefully I can score a low mileage well optioned.

Any thoughts on the Yellow, Kawasaki Green, Cyan Blue, British Grey on the Evora?
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:57 PM

This 2018 Evora ad popped up for me. What seems strange is it does not have the Alpine INE-W960 that my 2018 came with. It has the Alpine INE-977HD that I just upgraded to. Only radio option I see for 2018 is for subwoofer. So did lotus just change mid model year? There is an over $700 price difference in the 2 so seems like a good deal if newer one comes with it

https://www.glenviewluxuryimports.co...lmdvn0jha21240

Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in