4000 RPM rev Limit - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
4000 RPM rev Limit

Went for a quick drive on Saturday morning and had the revs limited to 4000 RPM right after filling with gas. I have not yet had time to investigate but searched for answers here and elsewhere and see that there are few threads on the topic but no solid conclusions. The car did not throw any messages on the dash and seemed to run just fine up to 4000 RPM. I'm wondering if I have missed any more conclusive threads on this topic.

The car is a 2018 Lotus Evora 400. Manual transmission. No mods. 8,000 miles.

The only "other" problem I have is a (very) infrequent situation where the backup camera image remains on the (Alpine) display after shifting into forward gears. Wondering if these two could be somehow related.

afgliafw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:00 AM

Below operating temp is my best guess unless it was a one off malfunction. Take it back out and see if fully warmed up problem recurs.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimarneson View Post
Went for a quick drive on Saturday morning and had the revs limited to 4000 RPM right after filling with gas. I have not yet had time to investigate but searched for answers here and elsewhere and see that there are few threads on the topic but no solid conclusions. The car did not throw any messages on the dash and seemed to run just fine up to 4000 RPM. I'm wondering if I have missed any more conclusive threads on this topic.

The only "other" problem I have is a (very) infrequent situation where the backup camera image remains on the (Alpine) display after shifting into forward gears. Wondering if these two could be somehow related.
Was the blue cold coolant light on? Until engine is warmed up, rpms are limited, but this should be an ingrained practice anyway and fyi, my 410 is equipped with an oil temp gauge and oil is still cool after the blue coolant light goes out; so take it easy for a few more minutes are lights out.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:05 AM

Garage
Quote:

Was the blue cold coolant light on? Until engine is warmed up, rpms are limited, but this should be an ingrained practice anyway and fyi, my 410 is equipped with an oil temp gauge and oil is still cool after the blue coolant light goes out; so take it easy for a few more minutes are lights out.

As to the camera, this car is very unsophisticated electronically. Not like and Ford where a 'radio' error requires you to pull over and reboot the car.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Garage
I agree with temp thoughts. You are basically in limp mode until warm. If not that, then pull codes to see.

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I drove the car 4 -5 miles to a gas station and the blue light was definitely off. I filled up the tank and noticed the rev limit on the entrance ramp to the highway. I'm certain it is not related to low temperature operation. I'll be able to take it out again tonight and see if it has gone away.

afgliafw
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:52 PM

Could a miss seated fuel cap cause this?

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:42 AM

Garage
Possibly. Pull codes (or drop by auto parts store and have them do it.). From there it can be better assessed.

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I took the car out tonight and drove about 30 miles. The 4000 rpm rev limit is gone. I connected my scan tool and found no codes. The gas cap seemed to be seated correctly. I have no idea what to think.

Does anyone here know what is supposed to trigger a 4000 rpm rev limit or that there actually is one in the engine controls? I have not downloaded the Toyota engine documents and don't know if they would help. I guess I'll have to wait for this to show up again and carry a scan tool.

afgliafw
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
I took the car out tonight and drove about 30 miles. The 4000 rpm rev limit is gone. I connected my scan tool and found no codes. The gas cap seemed to be seated correctly. I have no idea what to think.

Does anyone here know what is supposed to trigger a 4000 rpm rev limit or that there actually is one in the engine controls? I have not downloaded the Toyota engine documents and don't know if they would help. I guess I'll have to wait for this to show up again and carry a scan tool.

No need for the Toyota engine doc's unless you want to open the engine. Besides due to copyright restrictions, Lotus doesn't have permission to give it away but charges $320 USD I believe. The EFI ECU and engines tunes are Lotus, nothing to do with Toyota.

A number of major faults place the car into "limp mode" where rpm is limited, however as people have stated the common limit is purely warm up cycle. If you don't have CEL light showing on the dash you either missed its on a very minor code or no problem exists. Major problems that would put car into Limp mode do not just self clear the CEL.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So... Where can I read more about the "EFI ECU and Engine tunes" ?

afgliafw
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I found these two references to the 4000 rpm rev limit in the Service notes (pages 48 and 49).
Attached Images

afgliafw
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So... maybe had a random misfire or injector issue?

The misfire seems more likely as the MIL was not illuminated for two trips...

I did not put my scan tool on the car until until two days later. If it happens again I'll try to scan it right away to see if any of the codes referenced above show up.

I did not find any other "Limp Home" conditions in the Service Notes.

afgliafw

Last edited by jimarneson; 06-12-2019 at 06:28 AM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:30 AM

Garage
Have you tried to pull codes? It shouldn't go into that limp mode without setting the DTC.

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oops... Spoke too soon. Found three more (I guess search really is your friend)
Attached Images

afgliafw
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes... I connected my scan tool and did not encounter any fault codes. (said so above).

afgliafw
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye-bo View Post
Have you tried to pull codes? It shouldn't go into that limp mode without setting the DTC.
Exactly

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes... I connected my scan tool and did not encounter any fault codes. (said so above).
If you have no codes and no code history then very very unlikely that the car entered Limp Mode, If you never got an MIL light on you didn't get a serious code, lessor codes must trigger on 2 trips before light comes on... I believe there are more codes than listed above that trigger limp mode, you diagnose from code down, not symptom up.

The only way to get a 'Limp Mode' 4000 rpm limit without a MIL light trigger and code is the coolant temp being low.

Other Limp conditions such as electronic throttle misreadings with limit throttle opening to 15% or 7% so as to stop a run away engine..

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
So... maybe had a random misfire or injector issue?
It wasn't this - this condition shuts down a bank and you are running effectively only on 3 cylinders - would be a very rough ride and you wouldn't be worried about a 4k rev limit - you'd have trouble keeping it running.

On my Evora S, I had the same experience as you did - started car, let warm up a few seconds, started driving a normal route I take. When I got to the highway on-ramp the car us usually well warmed up by then, but car rev limited to around 4k. No MIL. Was like that the entire 30-40 min drive. Went home and checked codes - none pending and none open. Didn't run any procedure to clear codes, just started car again and drove - drove normal - no rev limit.

Happened once 1 year ago, never happened again. Did much of the same research as you've seen here in the great comments. As you mentioned the reverse camera stays on in your case - I looked at the wiring diagrams for the reverse switch to see if there is anything sent to the ECU - there is nothing in the wiring harness that I can find.

I hate chalking things up to 'it was a fluke', but in my case that's where I am. Once and a while me and my buddies swap our 'fun' cars for a run - in the back of my mind I think 'hope it doesn't happen to them', not that it's a big deal, just that I love promoting Lotus cars in my circle, and the less quirks the better!

-SpaghettiPie
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank You Spaghettipie... Sounds like we had the same experience. I connected my scan tool and checked for codes again last night before taking another 30 mile drive. Found no codes (again, & again) and the car performed perfectly. I guess I could have missed a quick message on the dash but I drove the car for at least 10 miles with the 4000 rpm limit in place (when the incident took place on Saturday). There were no (dash) messages during that drive.

Having only a symptom (4000 rpm limit) is why I came here in the first place. Having no code to work from makes any diagnosis more difficult (TYCO)...

FYI... Searching this forum for "Limp home" brought me to a nice collection of constructive thoughts on this issue.

Attached Images

afgliafw

Last edited by jimarneson; 06-14-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in