Adding Valved Exhaust - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Adding Valved Exhaust

I have a 2011 NA Evora that I plan to daily drive (including regulat 5+ hour road trips). I want the car to roar so I have ordered the BOE CAI and I may delete the 3rd cat. The long trips are pushing me away from placks and wanting to control sound when desired.

Both Larini and 2bular have valved exhaust options and both seem to have kits to add the valve on/off button. I don't want to start a "which exhaust is better" thread (plenty of those already). My questions are:

1) Am I correct that the valved exhaust can be added to a car that did not have a valved oem exhaust?
2) If so, how difficult is the installation of the button?
3) Can the valve on/off be easily added to the sport button?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:35 PM

You will be much better off installing a kit that allows you to actuate the valves from a remote control as opposed to trying to integrate it into the sport button IMO.

Also, you can save some major money and pick up a take off valved NA/S muffler and using that. With the valves open and a decat those sound quite good.

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 S PDK
2013 Evora NA IPS Nightfall Blue/Oyster
2015 VW Golf GTI DSG APR Stage 1
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Eurocompulsion Stage 2
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

With aftermarket exhaust being such a popular mod, I am surprised that there is not more information on adding the remote valve to a car that did not come with a valved exhaust. Any info is appreciated!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukadog View Post
With aftermarket exhaust being such a popular mod, I am surprised that there is not more information on adding the remote valve to a car that did not come with a valved exhaust. Any info is appreciated!
I think only the S cars came with the valved exhausts, and vary between late-model 11s and 12+. Take a look at section EJ in the service notes, pages 15-23. The valve is actuated via VSV/solenoid, and controlled by the ECU, opening after ~4700 rpms. If Sport mode is enabled, the valve is held open.

The solenoid appears to be connected to the ECU pin CB4, per the circuit diagram sheet C5A in section MR.16a. It doesn't look like this pin would be active on a non-S ECU per sheet C5 in MR.16 (non-S diagrams).

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:11 AM

You can T off the air box valve to get same effect as it operate with sports mode or you can add manual valve like I did. Good luck.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:33 AM

Garage
My 2012 n/a has valved so not just S cars
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukadog View Post
I think only the S cars came with the valved exhausts, and vary between late-model 11s and 12+. Take a look at section EJ in the service notes, pages 15-23. The valve is actuated via VSV/solenoid, and controlled by the ECU, opening after ~4700 rpms. If Sport mode is enabled, the valve is held open.

The solenoid appears to be connected to the ECU pin CB4, per the circuit diagram sheet C5A in section MR.16a. It doesn't look like this pin would be active on a non-S ECU per sheet C5 in MR.16 (non-S diagrams).
All cars 2012 and up have the identical valved exhaust. Only difference is the exhaust finisher shape. In 2011 only the s had a valved exhaust and the valve was located in a different location (behind the muffler) as opposed to on the driver's side of the muffler as it is on 12+ cars.
agentdr8 likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaphaphooey View Post
All cars 2012 and up have the identical valved exhaust. Only difference is the exhaust finisher shape. In 2011 only the s had a valved exhaust and the valve was located in a different location (behind the muffler) as opposed to on the driver's side of the muffler as it is on 12+ cars.
Slightly off-topic, but I think it's great that I can visit this forum every day and learn something new.

To amend what I posted, the MR.16 diagrams are for NA MTs from start of production to VIN BH_11177, so if the OP's NA falls within this range, it's likely the ECU won't support adding the solenoid, so no native Sport button control over the valve.
phaphaphooey and Lckitty like this.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I think it's great that I can visit this forum every day and learn something new.

To amend what I posted, the MR.16 diagrams are for NA MTs from start of production to VIN BH_11177, so if the OP's NA falls within this range, it's likely the ECU won't support adding the solenoid, so no native Sport button control over the valve.

My vin is earlier than the 11177 so no native support. Integration with the sport button seemed like a clean and easier install, but is not important. I want to control noise level when in a residential area and growl when on the open road.

Both Larini and 2bular sem to have kits to add the valve button to a car that didn't offer it originally.

Larini's kit is here:
https://www.larinisystems.com/collec...e-exhaust-kits

2bular's is described (using plip controller) halfway down the page here:
http://www.2bular.co.uk/evora/evora-...-valved-system

Can these be added to my car? How difficult? Are they hardwired and mounted to dash or a remote on a key chain? The larini is a stand aline product; could it be used with a 2012+ OEM valved exhaust?

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Has nobody added a valved exhaust to an early evora? I am comfortable installing the exhaust, I just don't know how difficult it will be to add the open/close button. Any thouhts on this or ease/difficulty of 2bular vs. Larini?

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:48 AM

Garage
I think with any wiring going from the engine bay to the interior, the biggest hurdle is finding a suitable grommet to pass it through. There's not a ton of access through the firewall, so you'd either have to pick the grommets on the upper right passenger side of the rear window, or possibly along the wiring loom leading to the ECU area on the driver's side.
Lckitty likes this.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:19 AM

Garage
I'm going to try this in place of my 3rd Cat.
It is remotely controlled and can power up in the boot. I'll do a full how to next month
Attached Images

Lckitty likes this.

2011 Lotus Evora N/A Quartz Silver
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAY-DOH View Post
I'm going to try this in place of my 3rd Cat.
It is remotely controlled and can power up in the boot. I'll do a full how to next month

Oh man, I've been eyeballing these remote cutouts for 2 years but haven't pulled the trigger. Please let us know and post pre/post videos!! Do you not have the larini test pipe or are you welding into it? My thought was to weld into mine and then I'd have 3 modes. (Normal, Sport valved, open pipe).
PLAY-DOH likes this.

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:27 AM

Garage
My 2011 has sport mode but no valved exhaust. I will make new flanges and insert where Cat was. May have to add a lil pipe to both. I want to have that Plack sound when it's needed but stock quiet otherwise. The exhaust valve will have to be lengthened so it will escape the bottom pan or I'll cut a hole in my diffuser and let it escape there. Still can go back to stock in an hour if it doesn't work
Wish me luck

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:48 PM

Garage
Well it showed up today! For Chinese junk, it actually looks pretty good. All stainless parts and hardware. TIG welded and polished. Quite heavy I might add.
I rushed out to the garage to check the operation and it works great. It comes with a male cigarette plug which might just get plugged into the rear 12V outlet since I don't use it for my battery charger. The 12V motor opens butterfly style with a remote in under 4 seconds! I can even bump to different openings if I choose
I will probably use loctite on all the motor screws and anti-seize on the exhaust hardware
Kukadog, this might be the way to go, I'll keep you posted

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

I look forward to seeing how it turns out!

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 03:23 AM

Garage
Anyone on here that would donate their 3rd CAT for my project? I'd like to cut the flanges off

I will gladly pay for shipping

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 03:49 AM

I did it on my old n/a Evora. Bought a vacumn solenoid control valve thing of ebay and plumbed it in to the vacumn system to work as original. Just a case of powering it, in the end I just cheated and fed it off the heated screen wiring to test it. Ended up swapping my car for an Evora S so never got any further with it. I think you will struggle to power it from the sport button as it doesnt take much electrical load (just signal to ecu) so you run the risk of damaging the ecu if you get it to power the solenoid or relay directly.
Gav
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAY-DOH View Post
I will make new flanges and insert where Cat was. May have to add a lil pipe to both. I want to have that Plack sound when it's needed but stock quiet otherwise. The exhaust valve will have to be lengthened so it will escape the bottom pan or I'll cut a hole in my diffuser and let it escape there.
Wish me luck
I did it 6 months ago. Do that and resonation with the car's diffuser and flat bottom will occur. You will experience loud noise inside the car and uncomfortable vibrations too. Furthermore the car was too loud or too quite (i had the standard exhaust). I suggest you to go for a model S, Larini or plack exhaust.

After this failure I upgraded my NA Evora with a model S valved exhaust. The valve was initially operated by a wireless remote control kit bought on ebay. But, as i didn't like to have chinese electronic crap on my car, I recently managed to control it from the sport button. I had to remove the small airbox solenoid air filter, invert a couple of vaacum tubes, add a "Tee-pipe" and... A scooter carburetor idle jet!!! It's fully mechanic and works perfectly.

When SPORT mode is OFF, airbox flap and exhaust valve are closed up to 2.500 RPM, making the car quiter.
When SPORT mode is ON, airbox flap and exhaust valve are always open.
PLAY-DOH likes this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Can the oem valved exhaust from the S be used on a NA Evora? It seems like some cars (Elise) have different exhaust for SC vs NA cars but others are interchangable.

If the S exhaust can be used, how could I switch the valve?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in