AIRBAG HELP PLEASE - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:31 PM

This needs to be sticky-ed very impressive work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:48 PM

Garage
Hip Hip Hooray!

2011 Lotus Evora N/A Quartz Silver
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:10 AM

Wow... Well done.

Canít believe in 8 years nobody has figured this out. I guess this is truly a low volume car where discoveries like this take much longer than with other platforms.

I just ordered/received an Innova 3100j from Amazon. Now going to return for an NT630.

post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:25 AM

I mean, I'm impressed regardless of 8 years that someone would guess a Daewoo Gentra. I don't believe I've ever heard of that model.

I guess Lotus did dig through the Korean parts bins on the Evora, since that matches up with the door latch actuator seeming to be from a Hyundai.
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:59 AM

OP:

Did you buy the Foxwell NT630 ďPlusĒ or just the normal NT630?

Also, Iím assuming it had no problem reading system readiness/checking for codes (even though you had none)?

Just want to make sure itís not a one trick pony and I need to keep my Innova
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakhteria View Post
SOLVED

So let me help all my fellow Lotus Evora owners.

I was ready to drive all the way to NJ for this but I wasn't giving up. I knew that Lotus would not have enough airbag development money to make something so unique that not even the best scanners could figure out. Well after speaking to a few dozen lotus mechanics who reiterated that in fact you have to use the lotus scanner, I got no where.

But then I bought a scanner off of Amazon Foxwell NT 630. It does not have Lotus anywhere in the menu but after doing some deductive reasoning I narrowed it down to Vauxhall, Toyota, Chevy, and Ford Europe. One after another failed to communicate. Then I figured who is the cheapest Asian car maker that would have a bin-full of airbags for the US market but no cars and I remembered Daewoo. Well on this scanner they have Daewoo. And two choices. the correct choice was Gentra. And sure enough not only did it recognize the car and connected to it, then I get the beautiful message "Do you want to erase?" what beautiful words.

So anyone out there that has this issue, here you go. BTW I bought mine from Amazon Prime because I wanted it quickly so I probably paid too much for it ($150). You can probably be more selective.

I can't say much more .
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/ View Post
OP:

I'm speculating here, but it's possible many/most universal readers that can reset SRS can sort this out, provided we can select the correct kind of vehicle. I can't get over how many different testing devices each company makes.
post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowphun View Post
I'm speculating here, but it's possible many/most universal readers that can reset SRS can sort this out, provided we can select the correct kind of vehicle. I can't get over how many different testing devices each company makes.
You would think that... however the Innova 3100 (or any Innova I believe) barely even supports Daewoo for basic OBD2 codes (only like 4-5 models listed) and although they have an SRS and ABS function on the 3100 and up, they do not support Daewoo vehicles for either (or most brands for that matter). Mostly only support US brands and a very few Asian brands (Honda only I think).

Thus my returning of the Innova unit because I’m still in the Amazon 30 day window.

This is also why the OP has done very well to not only find the right reader brand, but to also find the right brand and model Lotus uses.

It was a needle in a stack of needles.
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:10 PM

So I picked up

to test this.

Must be a different unit than the OP, as it doesn't have a Daewoo Gentra. However, it appears the Daewoo Gentra is also the Isuzu Cruze and some other things. Sure enough, the Isuzu Cruze is in there, and if I try to do the SDM module connection, it connects, and gives me a Lotus A132 part number back. I don't have any active codes in there, but it does seem to properly understand how to communicate with the module.

I'm guessing quite a few other GM-international models are going to have this same SDM that works.

Seems a good find.
\Boost Monkey/ likes this.
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
So I picked up https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-Engin...=foxwell+nt630 to test this.

Must be a different unit than the OP, as it doesn't have a Daewoo Gentra. However, it appears the Daewoo Gentra is also the Isuzu Cruze and some other things. Sure enough, the Isuzu Cruze is in there, and if I try to do the SDM module connection, it connects, and gives me a Lotus A132 part number back. I don't have any active codes in there, but it does seem to properly understand how to communicate with the module.

I'm guessing quite a few other GM-international models are going to have this same SDM that works.

Seems a good find.
So you bought the NT630 (same one I was looking at on Amazon) and no Daewoo Gentra listed? Iím confused as to the model OP got... But I guess heíll chime in and shed some light.

Regardless, an Isuzu Cruze worked for the SRS system? Interesting.
post #31 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
So you bought the NT630 (same one I was looking at on Amazon) and no Daewoo Gentra listed? Iím confused as to the model OP got... But I guess heíll chime in and shed some light.

Regardless, an Isuzu Cruze worked for the SRS system? Interesting.
Correct - linked the exact one I have (it's also prime free one-day, so handy). When you go into Daewoo, it gives you model years by VIN digit. I went through each, no Gentra. I'd have to go back and look at the exact menu steps. There was a Daewoo Cruze under 2010 or so, but it did not communicate. Wikipedia indicates the same vehicle is sold as the Daewood Cruze, Isuzu Cruze, Holden Cruze, Opel Cruze, etc. So I just gave it a shot with the Isuzu and it worked. I'm guessing some other variants of it would also work.
post #32 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:19 PM

Garage
Ordered one will report soon.
If worked itís probably the best post of the year
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #33 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Yes I had an airbag light after my battery drained due to back hatch not being properly closed. After going through every possible internet site, speaking to Lotus directly, speaking to a dozen lotus mechanics the only thing I was told was that it occurs when the backup battery in the airbag is deputed due to low battery.
There were no bad connections or fuses. The car only has 3k miles and never even hit a bump for anything to be out of place. My generic scanner didn't work. One I bought for nearly $300 from Advanced Auto Parts didn't work. I made an appointment with a very nice person at the NJ Park Ave dealer (BTW just to let you know how prices for the reset vary, they charge $75 where as a dealer just 30 min away from them "Victory" charges $175).

As a last resort I bought the scanner mentioned above and went through about 3 min of trying the other stuff and about 30 min of deep thinking.

YES in actuality I cleared the code. I will keep this scanner and will not update the software (although it is recommended). Iím afraid I may lose this option)

So there you go my Fellow Lotus-ians. This site has always been such a good resource, Iím happy to give back with a solution to the secret of Airbag 
HethelSport and Limbdoc like this.
post #34 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
OP:

Also, Iím assuming it had no problem reading system readiness/checking for codes (even though you had none)?

Just want to make sure itís not a one trick pony and I need to keep my Innova
I bough the regular NT630. I didn't need to do anything else at this time so I'm not sure if it works for other things. But as for emission stuff I would guess it should be the same as that part is a federal standard (unless ur VW )
post #35 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure why your scanner doesn't show Dawoo Gentra perhaps one is updated and the other is not. I had never even heard of the car. But I knew of Daewoo in general. There were two options and the other didn't work. I'm glad to hear that Isuzu worked.

Here is the link for the one I ordered:

nintense likes this.
post #36 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:01 AM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Quote:
I'm not sure why your scanner doesn't show Dawoo Gentra perhaps one is updated and the other is not. I had never even heard of the car. But I knew of Daewoo in general. There were two options and the other didn't work. I'm glad to hear that Isuzu worked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This link actually goes to the Plus model, per the amazon page title description. This is likely the difference. In that case, sounds like both can work, but Iíd go with the Plus if it were me, because whatís a few extra dollars when weíre talking about OBD II scanners.

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue
post #37 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah above guy is right, you bought the ďPlusĒ model and not the regular NT630. This is apparently important as noted that the regular doesnít list a Daewoo Gentra as a possible vehicle.

I figured you ordered the Plus when you said you paid $150 which is why I originally asked. The regular is cheaper.

Thanks to some detective work by esseye though, the regular version can apparently work as well.
post #38 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

You are correct it is the plus model. oops
nintense likes this.
post #39 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 07:11 PM

Garage
Got the Plus from the link... can't find Deawoo Gentra, Please help
post #40 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 07:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintense View Post
Got the Plus from the link... can't find Deawoo Gentra, Please help
Hmm, I have a Plus on the way so I'd be interested in the specific version of software/firmware that is on @bakhteria 's scanner. Maybe a newer (or older) firmware is needed for that model to show up.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in