Alternative Exterior SAE Battery Charger Connector For Evoras - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By zthang

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Alternative Exterior SAE Battery Charger Connector For Evoras

Greetings Lotus bros, I've been racking my brain for months trying to find a way to charge the battery without opening the trunk lid. Finally after months of research and planning, this is what I've come up with. Hope it helps anyone else who finds charging through the trunk lid annoying.

First, the materials needed.
1. A drill bit that can cut a hole 3/4"-7/8"
2. An SAE extension cord. You only need around 3ft.
3. This flush mount SAE connector:

Next, cut a 5/8" hole near the interior trunk latch. There's a crease there which I lined the hole up with. I've included a reference photo to show approx where this hole is being made.
Don't worry, any cuts you make in this project are only through fiberglass and plastic. There are no wires nearby to interfere with, and no metal cutting.

From the outside, measure where you'd like to place the connector and make a 3/4"-7/8" hole. Remove the license plate light to assist you in visualization and routing the cable.

From here it's pretty self explanatory. Route the cable through into the boot of the trunk and connect it to your SAE battery terminal connector. I used some waterproof silicone to keep things water tight (although prob unnecessary as it was all very tight) and a 5/8" rubber grommet for the trunk interior. Tidy things up and enjoy charging the battery without having to open the trunk. From normal standing height, you can barely notice it's there.

Last edited by zthang; 08-25-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in