The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Anti-Sway Bar - S vs. (NA)

7K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  HethelSport 
#1 ·
Is it worth it to buy/Replace the Evora (NA) anti-roll bar and put on an Evora S anti-roll bar? will it fit?

If I understand the difference between the two sway bar is .5 mm

(Also I need to replace the Rubber Mount, anti roll bar
diameter to 21.5mm)

does anybody know the other suspension part number from the S?

thanks

#3 ·
I believe from 2012 on, they are all S spec. Nominal difference.

#4 ·
As far as sway bars go, the difference is nominal at 10% stiffness change. I believe Lotus was more focused on the rear weight increase in the back of the S/C'd car.

Bars and Dampers remained difference between NA and S/C through life of Series 1, what became the same post MY12 was suspension arms (actually the bushings) became the same for NA's automatics as used on the S/c man and auto.

NA man & auto:
rear ARB 21 mm (black) A132D0039F
ARB bushings A132C6013F

S/C man & auto:
rear ARB 21.5 (grey) A132D0061F
ARB bushings A132C6016F

#6 ·
Out of shear curiosity, why do you believe your suspension needs to be upgraded?

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong -- look what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver." - Colin Chapman

#11 ·
You better be knocking out mid pack T2 times to necessitiate any upgrades

Reactions: Julian73
#13 ·
Always amusing to me when someone gets one of these magical cars and starts changing suspension and actually believes they know what they are doing.

#23 · (Edited)
I am asking for OPINION !!!!

This is a car forum, you can ask for opinions!!!!
If you DON'T like my questions DO NOT COME here!!!!

These is a GREAT CAR, but NOT perfect !!! there are upgrades that you can buy !!! DID YOU KNOW THAT?

I have been in many Lotus on track. Elises can indeed be made much better than stock. But, I have been in more poorly "enhanced" Elige's than well upgraded ones.
Interesting how original poster goes straight to hardware upgrades, but has made no mention of alignment 'enhancements". This is one of the biggest areas one can improve upon (removing the setup designed to protect the common idiot) without changing a single piece of hardware. Hint-->my recommendation, start here. One can improve both road and track abilities at the same time, depending on your driving style. The magic of these cars is compliance, take it all away and its just another oversprung, twitchy sports car.
Of course ALIGNMENT is considered, I am asking for opinion about asb :facepalm

Not sure what you are looking for but I have tinkered a little with mine. I have a set of tailored Nitrons fitted on my Evora S. It is an improvement over stock in my mind.

Then again Lotus haven't changed the suspension on any of their Evora's since launch have they? S1 NA same as GT430? >:)
What Nitrons did you have?

I will also replace its rear toe links,front rods and bushings for upgrades.

#15 ·
In all fairness, even if one of us were the genius of our generation, it would almost certainly require years of research and trials and refinements to better some area of human endeavor.

The sort of thing that Lotus have done.

Reactions: brgelise
#17 ·
As I understand, changes have been made to compensate for some changes in power and weight.

But the bigger changes came about when there was a change in philosophy as the 400 came along. As best I can tell, they wanted to dumb it down a bit aiming for a broader audience.

#19 ·
Getting back to the original question...

It's very unlikely to be worth it to increase the rear bar by 0.5mm. The difference is academic. Tire compound/size/temperature/pressure, road surface, and nut behind the wheel will dominate any small change like that. Lotus Sport makes bigger front and rear bars. I believe the part numbers are: ALS5C0089J (Front), ALS5C0090J (Rear). Some of us contend that even these are too small.

The evora suspension is an interesting compromise between comfort, performance, and *budget*. If you're willing to give up one, you can certainly improve the other. Personally, I'm willing to give up a lot for better transitional response. Therefore I'm a fan of big, big bars. Well that and the fact that the SCCA doesn't let me change springs. :p

donour

#21 ·
I have been in many Lotus on track. Elises can indeed be made much better than stock. But, I have been in more poorly "enhanced" Elige's than well upgraded ones.
Interesting how original poster goes straight to hardware upgrades, but has made no mention of alignment 'enhancements". This is one of the biggest areas one can improve upon (removing the setup designed to protect the common idiot) without changing a single piece of hardware. Hint-->my recommendation, start here. One can improve both road and track abilities at the same time, depending on your driving style. The magic of these cars is compliance, take it all away and its just another oversprung, twitchy sports car.

#25 ·
My mechanic once joked with me saying, “If Colin Chapman saw how you drove this car he’d be rolling over in his grave. This car is meant to be driven and driven hard just like Chapman would have wanted”. For me at least I wouldn’t think suspension upgrades would be worth it. That’s not to say, however, everyone should think the same way.

I’m my opinion it’s an individual choice and I’m anxious to see how it turned out for the OP and if it made a noticeable difference.

#29 ·
Thanks @cfg_77 and @Julian73

The front track-rods and rear toe-links are finally up on our website: Suspension | HethelSport :grin2: The v.2 of the rear toe-links include a very useful improvement during alignments and we're pretty thrilled to have initiated the revision with the manufacturer. (v.1 kits can updated so if you have one, ping me for details.)

We're looking into some stiffer sway bars and have chatted with a large capacity US based manufacture plus we've been approached to work with a UK fabricator with lots of Lotus experience. A large part of the decision to proceed is the actually need--sway control on the Evora is pretty dang good so we're a bit hesitant--with our upgraded bushings and Bilstein/Öhlins shocks, were not convinced anything less than a pure competition race car needs more. Plus the front bar is a pain to remove-&-replace.

For front-to-rear balance, We'll also be offering a simple stand-alone kit that can dial out some understeer. The kit's primary function is actually something else but it will have three balance settings: •Stock •Looser •Loosiest. For those of you that like looser cars on the track, this is for you! The kit has been on our test car for a year so we're ready to build more. No pricing yet but probably less than the cost of one R-compound Evora tire. --Sherman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.