Any experience BOE headers and Moroso oil plan - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
DLO
Evora '10

Any experience BOE headers and Moroso oil plan

Hello,
Had Moroso oil plan on Evora NA and just installed BOE headers and finding there is extremely little clearance between exhaust and side of oil pan (0.33 MM). BOE hadn't heard of any feedback for this combo so checking if anyone else has had experience and if so, how did you resolve?

I don't see way to 'move things' so can leave and monitor (I did ceramic coat from Swain Tech so that will reduce heat transfer). Can have pan notched, pain. Or go back to stock. On stock I found a baffled insert from Wilhelm Raceworks that looks interesting but no feedback/comments from others that I could find (though he does post some interesting oil pressure performance testing results).

I don't know what other oil pan brands are out there, Moroso clearly looks like the most popular. I want to do occasional track days and hence the extra safety goal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:31 PM

I found that the engine mounts flex enough that my 2bular Headers hit the belly pan where I had filled in the factory openings.
See Post #46 : https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...64/index3.html
There was clearance when standing still, but it banged when accelerating and decelerating.
I had to dome the filled in patch to clear and allow movement, so I would worry about your header hitting the oil pan.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer View Post
I found that the engine mounts flex enough that my 2bular Headers hit the belly pan where I had filled in the factory openings.
See Post #46 : https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...64/index3.html
There was clearance when standing still, but it banged when accelerating and decelerating.
I had to dome the filled in patch to clear and allow movement, so I would worry about your header hitting the oil pan.
Your problem is different from this one. The engine and headers will flex as 1 unit on his car. Yours the undertray is stationary.

I would modify something in the OPs case. The moroso oil pan is aluminum any rubbing that takes place will put a hole in the pan eventually.

As for your gap .3mm is feeler gauge distance. You sure it's not more?

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
DLO
Evora '10

Yes I did measure with feeler gauge. Yes this is in relationship to the oil pan... Given the reference you had Bobsy Racer, I will reinstall the undertray as well to see if any other challenges come to light.

I can take the pan off and have it notched. It is next to the corner edge as you can see in the picture. Need to also find someone in north dallas area. I liked the 'simplicity' of the Wilhelm Raceworks solution I just don't know about the reliability.
Attached Images

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLO View Post
Yes I did measure with feeler gauge. Yes this is in relationship to the oil pan... Given the reference you had Bobsy Racer, I will reinstall the undertray as well to see if any other challenges come to light.

I can take the pan off and have it notched. It is next to the corner edge as you can see in the picture. Need to also find someone in north dallas area. I liked the 'simplicity' of the Wilhelm Raceworks solution I just don't know about the reliability.
I'm in the north Dallas Area, what are you looking for?

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Based on that bit if information.i would definitely have something done.

As for the boe headers and the under tray, you will have to open that up too. The boe under tray would be a nice addition as it will help keep things cool

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Race & Pamper

That's virtually no space in between, that header will be hot enough to get the oil pan warm...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 AM

The moroso pan gets very hot on its own, but the headers will definitely increase that. FWIW, my early-run 2bular headers didn't clear the moroso pan at all and required some modification of the radius to get it to clear, and even then it was tight.

Given how close that one is, I would worry that as parts expand (namely the headers) with heat, you might get contact. I am sure Phil will weigh in.

I also had to dome out my undertray on the 2bular headers-these are likely better but I would check clearance.

2016 AMG GT-S
2012 Caterham R400 (sold)
2010 Chrome Orange Evora (Sold )
2005 ST Elise (sold)
2002 MB G500 lifted etc.
2003 Cooper S (track)
we'll see what Lotus comes up with next...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
DLO
Evora '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye-bo View Post
I'm in the north Dallas Area, what are you looking for?
Given where the conversation heading, looks like I'll need someone good at aluminum metal work and welder (think TIG) to notch the pan. Open to referrals. I'm actually in Richardson.

Still interested in feedback on the Wilhelm Raceworks option, he has baffle kit that goes inside the stock oil pan (though being the stock pan already has more clearance).

Aside, have seen the new BOE vented under tray, that looks like very useful upgrade in Texas heat, its only money!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Given where the conversation heading, looks like I'll need someone good at aluminum metal work and welder (think TIG) to notch the pan. Open to referrals. I'm actually in Richardson.
Cool, I'll ping my buddy and see if he's interested in helping.

Current:
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
12 others...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:30 PM

Garage
Quote:

Take it to Regogo Racing/Sports Car World on Butler.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**

Last edited by Julian73; 04-16-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 PM

Garage
Quote:

Still interested in feedback on the Wilhelm Raceworks option, he has baffle kit that goes inside the stock oil pan (though being the stock pan already has more clearance).

Aside, have seen the new BOE vented under tray, that looks like very useful upgrade in Texas heat, its only money!
I use the old Lotus Motorsport baffled aluminum pan. I see Lotus now uses the Toyo steel pan with modified with internal baffles on the GT430, this should be available for sale.
Attached Images

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:28 AM

Garage
Quote:

PM'd.

Current:
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
12 others...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in