The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Anyone track their evora

9K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  mibbj 
#1 ·
Looking buy an evora for daily and track usage

#3 · (Edited)
plus @XHILR8N!, @Plackslayer, @boxerman, @iDuc, @invictusmaneo. Very capable cars as a road and track car. IDuc used his as a daily driver and regularly ran on Laguna Seca and other Cali tracks. Only car that I've used on track driving across country without a trailer or tire changes. My other cars seemed to be something that I trailers to the track, changed tires, adjusted the shocks, arb's, brake pads .. then reversed. Both Evora's drive and drive, maybe not chasing the best lap times anymore, but neither am I fighting an oversteer, or understeer issue.

#4 ·
Someone on here has a McLaren 570 I believe as well, said the Evora a more enjoyable drive on track. The power and balance.

#8 ·
I still have BOTH my 2011 NA Evora, and 2017 Mclaren 570S.
My 5-'18 comparison is in Post #45 here:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/buying-430-states-453914/index3.html
As an update, I have gone to aftermarket wheels and tires on the 570S: 9"X19" 245-30-19, and 11"X20" 305-30-20 PS4S's.
After a lot of seat time in the 570S, I find it just as nimble, responsive, and balanced as the Evora, but just with incredible acceleration, even with the stock wheels and tires.
Clearly, the 570S is a MUCH faster track car, and back country carver due to the HP, but not necessarily any more fun than the Evora.

#6 ·
I've only tracked my car once but I didn't lower tire pressures enough. I won't make that mistake again but it was fun it its way. The car drove back home exactly the way it drove to NCM. Nothing had changed but I didn't wring its neck although I'm clumsy so machines fear me. For my kind of casual events, it's empty car, pack small cooler, bring hat. Car makes me want to go to school some more.

#9 ·
I daily and track mine, '14 NA manual. It's a great drive there - track - drive home car. It is incredibly balanced and folks with much more $$ and powerful cars fawn over it. While you won't miss it around town, you'll want the extra HP from the S apexing onto the straights. That's the only thing I'd change about mine.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
I track mine and do long trips from France to Spain, France to the UK, France to Poland, Hungary, ec, then drive it around a few tracks and then back to France. Always check fluids, particularly oil. Always lower tyre pressures, and then lower them again after a few laps. You will use more fuel than you thought if you stay 'on it' for any length of time. Heat soak will occur so max 20 mins at a time on track.

Grease your bushes, adjust your gear cables and go enjoy.

Attachments

#12 ·
I tracked my 2010 NA, I wasn't the fastest one there, but I sure wasn't the slowest! My only complaint was the shifting, but I remedied that with an Evora 400, I can't wait to get it to the track! Here's a video of my S1:

#14 ·
I tracked my NA10 couple times at willow springs. I was very conservative, and mostly getting to know the car balance and limits. Also knowing that driving home it must, I made sure not to push too hard. Altogether fun car everyday and track day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Noone ever plans to spin off track. I see people with broken/bent wheels at the track from impossible-to-predict incidents often enough to not want to risk my factory wheels. I have always viewed dedicated (and significantly cheaper) track wheels as a cheap insurance policy and peace of mind. Every local Evora owner I see at the track regularly doesn't run their factory wheels.

Added bonus: 18" tires are cheaper than 19/20s. I'm obsessed with minimizing running costs (I'm a numbers geek so I model my expected running costs for everything), so every dollar counts when it comes to consumables.

#18 · (Edited)
Problem is, with the loss of the R888 275/40R18 tire, nothing really exists any more to properly fit a set of TD1.3 18 inch setups. 235/40R18 at 25.5 OD and 275/40R18 at 26.7 gave our cars a perfect rake. We are now stuck with the 275/35R18 with an OD of 25.6. I ran these before the 40 series became available. I instantly like the 275/40R18 better. The offset makes finding a set of wheels for this vehicle very challenging. I know my OD's , widths etc quite well, but wheel offsets are a different story.

ET 52 (18's) ET55 (19's) and ET 69 roughly for the 19/20 combo are real tough ones. Expensive enough using stock wheels although used cast sets with a few dings are not so bad, but going custom quickly gets you over $2000 at a minimum. Maybe folks that have found solutions can add to our list of choices. Hopefully I will get lucky and Tire Rack has 275/40R18's in stock one more time.

Forget street tires. I'd love to know what folks run at the track. Michelin Cup @?? Toyo R888, 888r?? Hoosiers.... Nitto supposedly makes a size for us but haven'yt tried them. I want to stay at least with the R888,R888r level of grip I am used to. Currently I run Toyo R888r front in size 235/40R18, Rear Toyo R888 in size 275/40R18. The R888's have been discontinued but I have been able to source them thus far.
If forced to lose an inch of OD going to a 275/35R18 at 25.5 instead of 26.5-26.7, what would be the best fronts to run to maintain the stagger and rake???

#19 ·
Yes they dilemma and why I haven pulled trigger on my 410 setup.

#20 ·
I ran 235/40/18 fronts and 275/35/18 rears without any issues for years on my S1 Evora, most recently with RE71Rs, which were/are incredible.

On my 400, I have 19" wheels (fronts from the 400, and rears from the S1 Evora), and planning on using Re71Rs 235/35/19 fronts and 285/35/19 rears as soon as reasonably priced aftermarket brake rotors become available for the 400/410/430.

#21 ·
Encouraging to hear but for some reason I liked the 40's on back better than the 35's. Turn in seemed crisper and I figured it was the rake angle allowing this. Rear traction always my limiter for what it is worth and I am down to 31/32 pressures which is fabulous. Forget the 3 lb stagger! Maybe it is time to revisit a pair of 275/35R18's?? But I do see an extra set of wheels in my future!

#25 ·
Thanks Tex. See my PM to you.

#26 · (Edited)
The Forgestars donour steered me to look sweet, but they have sizing issues in the model I was steered towards. Will see how it plays out and I have give them the WIKI details on our wheels. I do not want any more 18/18 or 18/19's as I plan on migrating things over to a newer Lotus someday.

#28 ·
I"ve tracked my Evora 400 once. It's a better car than I am a driver. Had one of the Porsche instructors do a few laps in it, with me riding shotgun. Car is simply amazing on the track.
I did nothing special: lower tire pressure is about all. 90 minutes to the track, drive for 5-7x 20 min sessions, then drive 90 mins home.

#30 ·
A great uber thread would be for all the wheel options we have available. I know there are a few members that have gone the custom route. I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a set of curb rashed wheels that I can refinish and repaint for track use, unless I get lucky.

#32 ·
Do you have the 18/19 or 19/20 inch wheels and what tires are you on?

#35 ·
Try 29 psi front, 32 rear to start, then bleed back to that when warm after a lap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.