Best tires for daily driven Lotus Evora S - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:41 AM

Wear is due to too much toe in not camber folks. Maybe a tad less stable but turn in much better at 0 toe front and about half factory in rear. See my other posts on alignments. Car was set up for the underprepared.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharper View Post
I'd also be interested in what people think of the PS4s for when its time for me to get new tires. I've currently got Continental Extreme DWS for winter and Bridgestone Potenza for summer on my daily driven S. Pleased with both so far. 10,000 miles on each set with tread remaining. Not tracked.

I just ordered a set of PS4s from Tire Rack. Rears are currently back ordered. I will try and post my thoughts on them after I get them on my Evora S. But first have to actually start to drive my car again..... probably at the end of April beginning of May!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:43 PM

Discount tire price matched tire rack for me voluntarily and I told them that I had a $100 off of $450 somewhere in my email. They didn't even ask to see the email and I ended up with the PS4S rears installed for $500 including taxes and extended warranty. I have about 300 miles on them. I haven't really got to drive on much dry road but they have been great on the cold wet roads so far and for the price they're unbeatable imo
Attached Images

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusexige View Post
I haven't really got to drive on much dry road but they have been great on the cold wet roads so far and for the price they're unbeatable imo
Great. Did you have the Corsas before? How would you compare them to your previous Pirelli?

I wanted to go for a new set of Corsas but I think I'll give a shot at the PS4 which are an evolution of the PSS. The Evora 400 comes with PSS. To compensate for some of the extra stickiness of the Corsas, I would go a size
up (285 at the rear and 245 at the front which will keep the diameter ratio identical to OEM).

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

2014 Lotus Evora S | MT | Chrome Orange/Gloss Black on Ebony 2+2 | Larini Exhaust
2013 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe | Auto | Imola Red on Black Nappa | M Package
2013 Audi TT Roadster | DCT | Oolong Grey on Madras Brown
2012 MB CLS63 AMG Kleemann Tuning | MCT | Black on Black - Gone
2010 MB C63 AMG Kleemann Tuning | Auto | Black on Black - Gone
2008 BMW 550i | MT | Deep Sea Blue on Beige - Gone
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovedriving View Post
Great. Did you have the Corsas before? How would you compare them to your previous Pirelli?

I wanted to go for a new set of Corsas but I think I'll give a shot at the PS4 which are an evolution of the PSS. The Evora 400 comes with PSS. To compensate for some of the extra stickiness of the Corsas, I would go a size
up (285 at the rear and 245 at the front which will keep the diameter ratio identical to OEM).

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Are you lowering the profile of the tire also .....if going to a 245 front and 285 rear?

post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:31 AM

Garage
Same profile (285/30/20 and 245/35/19). The diameters will be 0.3" longer but the ratio rear to front will be identical. My speedo will slightly understate my actual speed. I don't think the diameter difference is material. My appointment is on Friday so I'll certainly be settled by then.

2014 Lotus Evora S | MT | Chrome Orange/Gloss Black on Ebony 2+2 | Larini Exhaust
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:14 AM

Garage
I have a 2010 NA Evora with the Pirelli P Zero's. I was wondering if anyone has tried the P Zero Nero GT's? They are a slightly less for a set with a higher wear rating. Maybe the Michelin PSS's are a better option? Which would offer less road noise?

Call me frugal, but for daily driving and/or Sunday cruising I would not spend $3000 on a set of 4 tires. IMHO it would be more cost effective to have a second set of rims to be able to swap tires on the car.

2016 Ruter #31 Bus, (not Ardent) Red
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1971 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovedriving View Post
Same profile (285/30/20 and 245/35/19). The diameters will be 0.3" longer but the ratio rear to front will be identical. My speedo will slightly understate my actual speed. I don't think the diameter difference is material. My appointment is on Friday so I'll certainly be settled by then.

I would be interested in hearing about how they fit on the car.....rubbing....etc?

post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypaspazz View Post
I have a 2010 NA Evora with the Pirelli P Zero's. I was wondering if anyone has tried the P Zero Nero GT's? They are a slightly less for a set with a higher wear rating. Maybe the Michelin PSS's are a better option? Which would offer less road noise?

Call me frugal, but for daily driving and/or Sunday cruising I would not spend $3000 on a set of 4 tires. IMHO it would be more cost effective to have a second set of rims to be able to swap tires on the car.

I have been running PSS tires on my cars for years and love them. It's a tire you can't go wrong with. Is it the greatest thing since sliced bread? No, but they work and do it well.
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:23 PM

I run Nitto nt555's on the car. They have proven to be very sticky, moreso than stock at my power level. I run 10mm wider than stock on the front and back, and +10 on the aspect ratio front and back.
Lovedriving likes this.

ChaosPerformance.com

2011 Evora S starlight black, gt3076 turbo, Chaos Performance 550hp Built internals package, still the daily driver(weather permitting have an f250) 40kmiles on the car in 2 years!
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:05 AM

Garage
I replaced my 4 Pirelli Corsas of my Evora S and have been running the new Michelin PS4s for a week now. I went a notch wider on both front and rear (245/35/19 and 285/30/20) to compensate for the fact that the PS4s is a less aggressive tire than the Corsa (the PS4s is more comparable to the Pirelli P Zero). As there is limited information on these new tires installed on an Evora S, I thought this little write-up would be useful. If you want to know the bottom line, well go the bottom line of my post.

On the first drive, whatís striking is how comfortable the PS4s are compared to the Corsas. I didnít find the Corsas so bad but the PS4s reduce a lot the vibration on rough pavement and make street driving quite smooth. Plus the road noise is much lower, almost quiet. Unlike the Corsas that tend to carve into the asphalt with a lot of kickback, the PS4s behave much better on imperfect roads like we have in Toronto. But then I got worried that they might be too soft and I would lose the magic of the Lotus handlingÖnot a chance, but there is a compromise.

In selecting a replacement for the Corsas, I thought that what was important was the traction in general, especially the rear wheels. The PS4s have plenty of traction and the wider tires feel quite planted. The compromise is not the traction but rather the rigidity of the sidewalls in general, especially the front wheels. For 90% of my daily driving time this week, I got the benefit of a smoother ride without any compromise on traction and handling. The steering feel is a bit more filtered in a good way as it removes the bad parts (kickbacks, rough pavement, Ö) without losing much on the good parts. All good. But under aggressive cornering or hard acceleration, although traction is still there, I can feel the tires flexing while the Corsas would never give a hint of the g-force. For example, on a 270 degree ramp, the Corsas feel that they would never let go no matter how fast I go. With the PS4s, the tires are flexing which increases the roll and made me nervous at first as I thought I was losing tractionÖnope, traction was still good. Interestingly, although they flex more under load than the Corsas, I couldnít make them understeer (within reason on legal streets), something that was not that hard to do with my Corsas even when they were new! Thanks to the extra width? At the rear, the softer sidewalls translate into a bit of squatting at the back under hard acceleration, something the Corsas would never do.

To make the sidewalls harder, Iíll be trying to increase the tire pressure by a couple of PSI and see if it helps. Talking about tire pressure, I noticed that it tends to increase by 3 or 4 psi after only 10 minutes of regular city driving vs about 2 psi with my previous Corsas (current outdoor temperature here is between 10 and 20 C) ... does it mean they get warmer faster?

My next step is to further explore the traction limits of the PS4s on the track, which is scheduled at the end of the month. Iíll report back at that time but I suspect this is where Iíll see the biggest compromise with the Corsas.

Other pluses for the PS4s over the Corsas include:
  • Wet: I havenít driven the car in the rain but another strength of the PS4 is supposed to be superior traction in the wet, something the Corsas are not good at.
  • Cost: Here in Canada, the PS4s are about half the price of the Corsas and will last at least twice as long so this is a factor of 4+.
  • Look: Itís odd to talk about the look of a tire but the PS4s have beautiful sidewalls highlighted with velvet finish to add some contrast. Because I went wider with the same profile, they are only a notch taller than OEM but they look much bigger from a side view, nicely filling the gaps with the fenders (see pics below).

Bottom line, except for aggressive corners, the PS4s is certainly a better tire for daily driving than the Corsas as it provides extra benefits without losing the magic handling and steering. For aggressive corners, is it a matter of progressively gaining confidence that the car wonít break lose when the tires start flexing or is it the limit of these tires? I hope itís the former (because I like aggressive corners!) More to come after my next track day.

Note to self: make an appointment for an alignment as my new tires are wider and taller.
Attached Images

Lckitty, PERVRSEWI and Timberman like this.

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:26 PM

So @Lovedriving any issues with the fitment of the wider tires?

post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERVRSEWI View Post
So @Lovedriving any issues with the fitment of the wider tires?

Not at all. Plenty of room.

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:43 PM

The Michelins transform the Evora. Love them.
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfink View Post
The Michelins transform the Evora. Love them.
I just put them on my car last week as well. I am happy so far but then again my front P Zero's were toast so anything would feel better.

2016 Ruter #31 Bus, (not Ardent) Red
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1971 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:45 PM

Garage
Just noticed that the Evora 410 come with the PS4s in the US...a bit surprising as street legal track tires like the Cup 2 or the Corsas would be more suitable for what this car is supposed to be.

post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:09 AM

@Lovedriving did you manage to get some track time with the PS4s in the end ? How do they compare to other tyres you've tried on track ?
Thanks.
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:45 AM
Elise Guru

Hankook RS-4

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightStuff View Post
@Lovedriving did you manage to get some track time with the PS4s in the end ? How do they compare to other tyres you've tried on track ?

Thanks.

Yes. Better drive on street legal road and more durable for sure but I have to say, I prefer the Corsas on the track. Corsas are designed for the track first, then sport street driving while the PS4s are for sport street driving first, then for the track. Does it help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:08 AM

Garage
If you have the 18/19s, then I would suggest the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. So far (about 2000 miles) they've been a very quiet, grippy, and rather cheap alternative. I was pretty skeptical when I first heard of them (I've had bad experiences with "cheap" tires in the past), but so far they've far surpassed my expectations. On the track, they were very predictable at the limit, and didn't get greasy when hot. After the track day there is still a TON of tread left, maybe I wasn't pushing them to their limits, haha! A full set of four was $511 delivered to my house, I'm very satisfied with the price to performance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in