brakes squeak at low speed braking - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

brakes squeak at low speed braking

I have only 3000 miles on my 2011 Evora NA. When i brake at low speed they squeak and at high speeds the is slight vibration in the steering when braking. any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Garage
Squeak/squeal yes. Normal. Hitting the brake real hard once in a while helps. Nature of them. Brake later in your stop.
Vibration, no, not on mine. Feedback, but I wouldn't call it vibration.

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

thanks Lckitty. I am thinking about putting the car on jack stands and inspecting the rotors and brake pads..but with only 3K miles i don't think that should be necessary right?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 12:35 PM

You can apply some brake squeel reducer on the back of the pads.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 PM

re: Brake Squeel

All disk brakes squeel. Some more than others. There are many cures:

1. Anti squeel compound... messy.
2. Anti-squeel shims.
3. Braking harder or more often to heat up the pads and polish them a bit.
4. Braking harder while reversing (i.e. press gas and brake at the same time). Again may take some varnish off the pads.
5. Harder compunds will squeel louder than soft ones. All compounds soften with temperature. Hence the brake warming trick. Either drive with one ffot on brake and one on gfas for 2 to 3 mins or fins an empty place and make 5 stops from 40 to 60 mph in a row....

Good Luck! I run race compounds on my daily driver M3. They squeel like stuck pigs when cold.

Anton
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 02:22 PM

Unless you are occasionally standing on the brakes for aggressive stopping from say 75+ mph, the pads are just glazing. You need to heat those pads up and burn off the glaze. That will get rid of your squealing.Its a sports car. Don't drive it like a Prius!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 03:19 PM

Garage
A vibration to the steering caused by braking usually points to a warped rotor.

2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
2012 Lotus Evora S
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder
2008 Porsche Boxster S
2007 Porsche Carrera S
2005 Porsche Carrera
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Unless you are occasionally standing on the brakes for aggressive stopping from say 75+ mph, the pads are just glazing. You need to heat those pads up and burn off the glaze. That will get rid of your squealing.Its a sports car. Don't drive it like a Prius!
^^ what he said.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM

Mine squeaks a lot....when the brake is full of dust
Brought it to Brown Bear today and washed it clean, now it doesn't squeak. Although yes it still squeaks from time to time, and I was told that it's normal because of the racing pads.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 AM

You will not warp these rotors. What you will do is get substrate buildup from a pad contacting a rotor, say being parked after a wash etc and then not being "cleaned" off properly. Happens every time rotors get wet.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
You will not warp these rotors. What you will do is get substrate buildup from a pad contacting a rotor, say being parked after a wash etc and then not being "cleaned" off properly. Happens every time rotors get wet.
+1

The OE pads are also a little noisy when out of their operating temp range (*cold*). It's not unique to the evora, similiar pads (Ferrodo DS2500) do exactly the same thing on other cars.

EDIT: for example...

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...do-ds2500.html
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-braki...squealing.html
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-ds2500-noisey

donour
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the confirmation donour!

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
That's good to know, though I would be interested in knowing how the Lotus rotor escapes vulnerability going from extreme hot to cold (such as driving through rainwater) where other manufacturers don't. I had lousy luck with Porsche rotors warping driving in stormy conditions in Florida.

2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
2012 Lotus Evora S
2008 Porsche Boxster S
2007 Porsche Carrera S
2005 Porsche Carrera
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by low2ground View Post
That's good to know, though I would be interested in knowing how the Lotus rotor escapes vulnerability going from extreme hot to cold (such as driving through rainwater) where other manufacturers don't. I had lousy luck with Porsche rotors warping driving in stormy conditions in Florida.
I bet you dollars to pesos that you didn't warp those either. Pad transfer is the likely cause for the shuddering that you encountered. "Normal" brake rotors are cast iron and won't warp -- in the conventional sense -- at the temperatures that we subject them to.

Obligatory Carroll Smith reference: -Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

donour

Last edited by donour; 08-12-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: grammar
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by donour View Post
I bet you dollars to pesos that you didn't warp those either. Pad transfer is the likely cause for the shuddering that you encountered. "Normal" brake rotors are cast iron and won't warp -- in the conventional sense -- at the temperatures that we subject them to.

Obligatory Carroll Smith reference: -Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

donour
Pretty good stuff! That's surprising from my perspective because the Porsche dealer put the rotors through rigorous testing before replacing them at no charge. I was at around 8k in mileage at the time.

2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
2012 Lotus Evora S
2008 Porsche Boxster S
2007 Porsche Carrera S
2005 Porsche Carrera
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 PM

Easier to replace than to resurface and they get to charge Porsche more also. Dealers love to hose the manufacturer

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 03:40 PM

Garage
Porsche (as in the factory) doesn't believe in turning cross-drilled rotors. They just toss 'em out and replace. IIRC it has to do with an inconsistency in thickness.

2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
2012 Lotus Evora S
2008 Porsche Boxster S
2007 Porsche Carrera S
2005 Porsche Carrera
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 04:52 AM

Turning to me , is heavy duty, I meant that 1/1000th to clean them up.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Yes what is said, normal brake bedding operation is to transfer some pad material directly onto the disc's. Improper break in (i.e. low heat) causes uneven dristributiion of transfer material, resulting in unevenness and vibration. Cure, re-bed to an approved method, normally some ten medium brake pressure slow downs from 60 to 30 ish mph is to heat up, then some 10 more serious, below abs threshhold 60+ to 20 slow downs. Do not come to stop will brakes as it will build a ridge of pad material, drive lightly to cool brakes before stopping.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**

Last edited by Julian73; 08-13-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: fixing typos from writing on touch screen phone
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
Yes what is said, normal brake bedding operation is to transfer some pad material directly onto the disc's. Improper break in (i.e. Low heat) causes uneven dristributiion of transfer material, resulting in unevenness and vibration. Cure, re bed to an approved method, .ormally ten mix presses lows from 60to 3p is to heat up, then some serious 60+ to20 is. Do not come to stop will brakes as it will build a ridge, drive lightly to cool brakes before stopping may
I think I follow this. What you're saying is improper braking at low temps is a big contributor to uneven wear, though I'm uncertain what it is that constitutes improper. The fix is to get the car up to 60 and brake hard to 20 but to not come to total stop until the brakes are allowed to cool for a period of time. Am I following you?

2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
2012 Lotus Evora S
2008 Porsche Boxster S
2007 Porsche Carrera S
2005 Porsche Carrera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in