brakes squeak at low speed braking - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM

Do it several times and personally a nice 100+ to 20 will really do the trick nicely. You might be shocked how the brakes bite after you do that!! Burns all the nasty crap off! I have a favorite exit ramp I come into at 75-80 at least once a week. Its downhill with a hard left at the bottom. Needless to say waiting till ~200 ft is all that is needed! Threshold braking is typically the single biggest weakness in street driver's esp in the age of ABS. BTW have you tried to find ABS yet?

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:45 AM

Garage
This all makes a lot of sense and, of course, I was aware of the fact that brake pads can glaze up. What I wasn't aware was how it can throw the entire setup out of kilter. I live in a densely populated area of Florida where stop and go driving is a fact of life. That kind of driving has probably been my undoing all these years. First chance I get, I'm gonna take the b**** out for a hard ride and deglaze the bad boys.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
2012 Lotus Evora S
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder
2008 Porsche Boxster S
2007 Porsche Carrera S
2005 Porsche Carrera
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:14 PM

She'll thank you for it! She likes being ridden hard!!!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:22 PM

Garage
Funny thing. I wanna drive this car hard, and I know I should, but I've got a mental block from all the stuff I've read on this forum about this and that, even though it's mainly to do with foo foo stuff. I'm babying this car too much.

Now watch me go get two tickets in the next week.

2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
2012 Lotus Evora S
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder
2008 Porsche Boxster S
2007 Porsche Carrera S
2005 Porsche Carrera
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 PM

I have plenty of complaints about foo foo stuff but that doesn't stop me from putting the pedal down and making it go sideways every once in a while. The car is too much fun not to keep your foot in it, finding a safe appropriate place is always the difficult part.

2011 Lotus Evora S 2+0 - Ardent Red
2008 Cayman S - Speed Yellow
1991 Toyota MR2 V6 - ChumpCar
2011 VW Tiguan
2009 Dodge Sprinter 2500XL Class B Conversion
Sold: Audi A4, '65 Ford Fairlane 500, Passat TDI
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:47 AM

You won't get tickets for late braking and its even more fun than just squeezing a gas pedal!!

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 05:26 PM

drive the **** out of it. I'm telling you, it shifts better, stops better, accelerates better the more you push it. If there is one thing I've learned about this car over the last 17k miles, is it likes to be pushed, not driven easily.

2016 AMG GT-S
2012 Caterham R400 (sold)
2010 Chrome Orange Evora (Sold )
2005 ST Elise (sold)
2002 MB G500 lifted etc.
2003 Cooper S (track)
we'll see what Lotus comes up with next...
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:42 AM

I find she likes it both ways but is very happy when she gets throttled!
Julian73 likes this.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:40 AM

Hey Folks,

2010 Evora, not as mechanically knowledgeable as most on here but I'm loving every minute of learning about this car.
Not tracked but driven hard
Fair weather driven only (because Canada)

I have a similar issue but with 50,000km (31K miles) on it. Pretty loud low speed squeal even after they've been heated up. No vibration. Difficult to narrow down which area it's coming from though but am going to do some parking lot laps with my head out the window to figure it out (and enjoy look stupid). All stock still on there, I'm just unsure of how to troubleshoot it.

Could this be a real deal replacement at this many KMs? Difficult to source parts outside of dealerships in the great white north as well.

I'm getting a buddy to to lend me his jack & stands (recent thread shows thats a project in & of itself)

So with limited resources and options, how would you go about figuring this out?
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:30 AM

If you've had no other issues before, the first thing I'd check is the pad thickness for wear. (Everyone drives different, so pads wear at different intervals for different cars/ drivers.)

Standard pad thickness (excluding backplate); 12.0 mm
Minimum pad thickness (excluding backplate); 2.5 mm
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:42 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
What you are trying to do is wear the pad buildup off the disc.

Why do they squeal (and feel grabby) and even more so when wet? Just my theory but I think water acts as an imperfect lubricant and you get the same effect as running your hand across the top of a glass that has been lightly moistened; vibes you hear and feel through the controls.

My Ducati's Brembos are fussy about this. Working a 3M pad or higher grit (say 220 or 320) sandpaper around the rim will sometimes work to reduce the noise but ultimately pad material will attach to the disc again and I'm back where I started, sometimes within the space of just a few miles. As has been said, a few hard stops will temporarily reduce or eliminate the effect. When the discs have built up pad material, as they seem to around town, I find that the noise is most obvious towards the end of a stop when I'm easing up on the brake pressure.

My Evora doesn't elicit these symptoms, but my Ducatis all seem to and will clean up with a bit of hard scrubbing but will come back again in short order. I'm still on the original pads on my Multistrada so not much has changed but my riding buddies tell me that a change in pad material will often result in a change in the squeak quotient.

That said, squealing is often an indicator of pad wear and many street pads are intentionally fitted with an element that will cause them to squeal once the pads are worn past a certain point.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in