Car Lift Recommendation? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Car Lift Recommendation?

Atlas seems to be the best lift for the money with many height and width options.

Is anyone using one for the evora? Any concerns with bottoming out, especially the middle of the car, when driving onto the platform?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:40 PM
MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtag114 View Post
Atlas seems to be the best lift for the money with many height and width options.

Is anyone using one for the evora? Any concerns with bottoming out, especially the middle of the car, when driving onto the platform?
I recently bought a Challenger 4-post 9,000 lb. CL4P9S, and I love it. US-assembled, Korean steel (over Chinese, FWIW). Works great, decent price. My Evora doesn't bottom out on the standard ramps, but they had longer ones available if necessary.

2011 NA Evora
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:05 PM

I just bought the Danmar Maxjax 6000 lb 2 post lift. It was delivered a few days ago and I have it on my list to install it soon. Minimum jack pad height is an impressively low 3.5 inches (even the Lotus has 6 inches available) and 'portable' i.e., easy to move out of the way when not in use.
DaveS4s likes this.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:32 PM

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
I recently bought a Challenger 4-post 9,000 lb. CL4P9S, and I love it. US-assembled, Korean steel (over Chinese, FWIW). Works great, decent price. My Evora doesn't bottom out on the standard ramps, but they had longer ones available if necessary.
I second the Challenger. That's what I got last year for my Evora and it works great. If you get 2 rolling jacks you can do 4-wheel rotations very easily (obviously not on the Evora). I opted for a single rolling jack and a jack platform for the few times I need both ends of a vehicle off the runways. Unless your Evora is lowered, there shouldn't be a problem getting onto the runways with the standard aluminum ramps it comes with. I even leave hockey pucks on my rolling jack and it clears them just fine.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:46 PM
MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
I second the Challenger. That's what I got last year for my Evora and it works great. If you get 2 rolling jacks you can do 4-wheel rotations very easily (obviously not on the Evora). I opted for a single rolling jack and a jack platform for the few times I need both ends of a vehicle off the runways. Unless your Evora is lowered, there shouldn't be a problem getting onto the runways with the standard aluminum ramps it comes with. I even leave hockey pucks on my rolling jack and it clears them just fine.
I got the one rolling jack and the jack tray for the back, which hopefully I can put a scissor jack on, though I haven't used it yet.

The rolling jack is great but when the car is fully lowered the jack handle hits the undertray at the very limit of its pumping action, so you have to pump it about 50 times to move the first inch. After that the car is high enough to let you move the handle normally. Not sure what can be done about that, but I found it a bit inconvenient.

2011 NA Evora
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
do you both have the 400? I think the front chin strap hangs a little lower that the earlier models?

I just watched this video and it looks like his GT4 scrapes a little in the middle AND front... starts at 7:10 minutes

https://youtu.be/iDv5hE9bGMY
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:16 PM
MGB

Quote:
do you both have the 400? I think the front chin strap hangs a little lower that the earlier models?

I just watched this video and it looks like his GT4 scrapes a little in the middle AND front... starts at 7:10 minutes

2011 Evora for me. Longer ramps or riding up onto a piece of wood first would probably solve any clearance problems.

2011 NA Evora
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:40 AM

Im looking for a 4 post lift as well and those short extensions on the rolling jack is a deal breaker for me. I do plan on using rolling jacks so do you guys know which company makes rolling jacks with long enough arms to reach the jacking points on our cars?
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
Im looking for a 4 post lift as well and those short extensions on the rolling jack is a deal breaker for me. I do plan on using rolling jacks so do you guys know which company makes rolling jacks with long enough arms to reach the jacking points on our cars?
One thing I haven't measured but Atlas's seem longer at 65" and as low as 3.5"

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/A...5-Sliding-Jack
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
2011 Evora for me. Longer ramps or riding up onto a piece of wood first would probably solve any clearance problems.
Can I trouble you to measure the height of the platform off the ground when full lowered to load? No one seems to have this listed. I assume its 4-6 inches somewhere.

Longer ramps will fix the front but will extend out of the garage and land almost 2" lower than the garage due to two small drops as you exit the garage. I fear my back wheels will be on this lower surface while the front wheels are on the platform and I may hit the middle of the car badly.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:28 AM

I have an Advantage SS 9000 lb XLT Lift (extra length and height). I picked it up at one of their eastern warehouses and my brother and I assembled it in 5 hours.

I bought their rolling jack, as well as their rolling jack tray (for depending on what car I am lifting). I was concerned about the approach ramp clearance when driving the Evora on, so I use my longer Race Ramp trailer ramps instead. Although, they do sell longer 48" aluminum approach ramps (comes with 36" ramps as standard).

On my 2011, the rolling jack arms reach the front jack points and like agentdr8, I also use hockey pucks on them. I can lift it at all four corners by using short bottle jacks in the rear platform (in line with rear lifting points) and then placing blocks under the rotors (with slight clearance) as a safety measure. They also have air bag jacks that may work for the rear but I haven't tried them.

https://www.advantagelifts.com/produ...age-ss-9000xlt
Attached Images

RBH likes this.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:04 AM

I also have this lift and the extra wide makes it easy for most work under car but the extra wide post width between them makes it super nice for pulling another vehicle under lift with no fear of hitting post..
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The Advantage Specs are great for my fit... can one of you please measure the platform height off the ground when lowered? My AMG has a 4 inch clearance compared to the 6 inch of the Evora... glad I measured... didn’t expect that.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:49 AM

Garage
Quote:

11 as well.

The video of the GT4 is just visually deceiving. When the back tires are on the ground, the middle of the car has about 1-1.5" of clearance above the corner of the ramps. You can see the reflection of the ramp surface, which can help to gauge how far away it is.

The middle of the front lip is around .5-1" above the center cross bar when the front tires are on the ground.

I measured the height of the center cross bar on the ground, and it's 5" +/- 1/8"
Attached Images

post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
The rolling jack is great but when the car is fully lowered the jack handle hits the undertray at the very limit of its pumping action, so you have to pump it about 50 times to move the first inch. After that the car is high enough to let you move the handle normally. Not sure what can be done about that, but I found it a bit inconvenient.
Yeah, kind of a PITA having to pump it so many times just to get it onto the first lock. The alternative was an air-powered one like the Bendpak, but I didn't want to have to run my compressor every time I needed to use the rolling jack.

What most of these equipment sellers won't tell you is that the majority of these accessories will fit many other lifts, so you can mix & match as long as the measurements match. I ended up getting cheaper inner drip trays from ebay for a Bendpak and they work just fine on the Challenger. I don't store a vehicle above mine as much any more, but if anyone else is looking to do this, the trays are essential even if your top vehicle is leak-free (A/C dribbles water, run off from wet/rained on vehicle, etc.).

post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Agent... 5” may still be tight for the AMG but that is my daily and will be under the lift mostly. now to find an installer... the Atlas is a little less $ but both come with all many extras (drip trays, jack tray, casters, etc). which is great.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:12 AM

I also have an Atlas lift that I use with my Evora 410 (and also a lowered BMW 1M). I have not had any clearance issues with the lift, but using the hydraulic jack lifters can be tedious (as already mentioned).

2017 Evora Sport 410

2006 Elise British Racing Green SOLD
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Agent... 5 may still be tight for the AMG but that is my daily and will be under the lift mostly. now to find an installer... the Atlas is a little less $ but both come with all many extras (drip trays, jack tray, casters, etc). which is great.
One way to know for sure is to compare slope percentages. If the vehicle's is greater than the ramps', you should be fine.

Based on the measurements I have, the stock 36" ramps (31.5" from tip to top angle before the flat) at a height of 5" is roughly a 15.87% slope ((h/d) x 100). My Evora is ~36" from tire contact to leading edge of car, at a height of about 6", which is a 16.67% slope.

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I’m ok on the front... it’s the middle I was worried about.
Here’s my math... the AMG wheelbase is 109 inches... when the back wheels hit a 36” ramp. 36/109=33% Only 33% of the 5 inch platform will be lifting the back third of the bottom as it approaches the ramp. So 1.65 inches plus my 4 inch clearance (no driver weight) means that section of the car will be 5.65 inches above the ground when the back wheels strike the ramp.
With a 48 inch ramp, 48/109=44% so 2.2 inches on the 4 inch normal clearance provides 6.2 inches from Floor height to bottom of car. Unfortunately my driveway sits 1-2” below my garage floor and the ramps will extend out there. Looks like I should relayer the driveway now.

For entertainment value, “let’s get a lift” morphed into; let’s replace the three garage doors too, might as well get all three high lift with new side mount openers, might as well get an epoxy floor before the lift goes in, now let’s replace the driveway too... 🤦‍♂️
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
For entertainment value, “let’s get a lift” morphed into; let’s replace the three garage doors too, might as well get all three high lift with new side mount openers, might as well get an epoxy floor before the lift goes in, now let’s replace the driveway too...
Lol I hear you. Had to add the door high lift and a jackshaft opener too in order to fully utilize the lift. But had epoxied the floor before move-in, so at least I was slightly ahead of the game there

Be mindful of your garage door opening height too; most of the posts on these lifts will barely squeak by on a 7' opening. Not a big deal if you plan on having someone build it in situ, but more of a roadblock when it comes time to disassemble and move it elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in