In case you ever think about selling your car on Bring A Trailer - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:55 PM

With a traditional listing, the buyer will assume that the seller is willing to negotiate a 10% reduction in price.
So if you want $45,000, you would list the vehicle for $50,000. You see this a lot on autotrader, etc. for private sales.

In this case, the $41k reserve that BaT recommended is only 9% different from the seller's desired sales price.

BaT doesn't set the reserve, the seller does, but Bat reserves the right to not list the vehicle. If the seller doesn't like the suggestion, they negotiate or just go elsewhere. This is true of all auction houses. One way to negotiate a higher reserve is to pay for professional photographs and detailing.

BaT writes up the vehicle listing, so they have skin in the game in the form of labor hours. The write-ups are quite thorough. The objective write-ups combined with the pre-sales data from previous sales leads to BaT buyers being better informed than eBay buyers. I have found eBay listings to be highly suspect. Craigslist listings are just silly bad. When I have seen comments in BaT auctions that the seller takes exception to, it's typically the case that the comment is accurate but inconvenient for the seller (read undisclosed). I have seen BaT dispell bad comment information using additional photos or documentation, but the reality is that most of the comments are actually correct or easily corrected by the seller in the comments. The seller that is offended easily or emotionally invested is probably better selling on eBay where such communication is private.

I have sold cars on BaT, eBay, Craigslist, and private listings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
With a traditional listing, the buyer will assume that the seller is willing to negotiate a 10% reduction in price.
So if you want $45,000, you would list the vehicle for $50,000. You see this a lot on autotrader, etc. for private sales.

In this case, the $41k reserve that BaT recommended is only 9% different from the seller's desired sales price.

BaT doesn't set the reserve, the seller does, but Bat reserves the right to not list the vehicle. If the seller doesn't like the suggestion, they negotiate or just go elsewhere. This is true of all auction houses. One way to negotiate a higher reserve is to pay for professional photographs and detailing.

BaT writes up the vehicle listing, so they have skin in the game in the form of labor hours. The write-ups are quite thorough. The objective write-ups combined with the pre-sales data from previous sales leads to BaT buyers being better informed than eBay buyers. I have found eBay listings to be highly suspect. Craigslist listings are just silly bad. When I have seen comments in BaT auctions that the seller takes exception to, it's typically the case that the comment is accurate but inconvenient for the seller (read undisclosed). I have seen BaT dispell bad comment information using additional photos or documentation, but the reality is that most of the comments are actually correct or easily corrected by the seller in the comments. The seller that is offended easily or emotionally invested is probably better selling on eBay where such communication is private.

I have sold cars on BaT, eBay, Craigslist, and private listings.
BAT dictated to me what the reserve price would be, I countered and they bumped it a grand but said that was all they would do. If their “skin in the game” is the time it takes to write the ad then its more than covered with the $99 listing fee, so that puts them back to a zero loss of money if your car doesn’t sell, so...no skin in the game. But hey, I get it, great business model. Just not a smart move for some sellers. If you have a highly sought after, highly collectible car then the odds are in your favor, but if you don’t the odds are against you walking away happy. Tons of posts out there of not so smart consumers posting their cars on BAT and going with the suggested reserve only for the car to sell way cheaper than they wanted. BAT gets their fees regardless, seller gets less than what makes them happy, NEXT sucker into the chute...
javistor likes this.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:04 AM
Speed Racer

I was no longer a fan when they told me my car was too ****ty for their fancy web site:
https://spark.adobe.com/page/kDdqB/

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:48 PM

Check out the comments. The seller didn’t know that the car had sold because it was $2k below his reserve. BaT still sold the car and gave the seller $2k out of their commission.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ri-328-gts-28/
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:37 AM

Never knew BAT did that, awesome.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:12 AM

I'm glad BaT does this.... It's bring a trailer... not autotrader. Ebay if you want to sell maybe... BaT if you want it GONE!

Current Stable:
'15 Evora S Sports Racer
'15 Porsche GT4 Clubsport
'06 Subaru N12
'08 Ducati 848RS
'94 Honda RVF400RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in