Clicking sound from rear wheels - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thx Gernot.

I'm convinced we have the exact same issue, despite my report about the brass Dynaplug tips. My original complaint came way before the Dynaplug anyway.

I'm going to do this when I get my car back from the dealership. Great approach on how to clean the wheel bolt holes, btw. Never thought to do that! I just wad up the rag and use wrist power so this will spare me a sore wrist. :thumbup:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 AM

Resurrecting this thread. I've been having the same issue, and cleaning the wheel hubs only works for a while, then it comes back.

Now, I have replaced the stock bolts with the ones that used to be on my Exige (it currently has sector111 studs & nuts). As you can see, they are identical in every way, except that they are one-piece. The clicking is gone, and I am hoping it is gone for good. I'll post results in a month or so!

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
2017 Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4
post #63 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:49 AM

If that was the problem then the stock bolts were obviously never tight.

post #64 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 03:58 PM

They were definitely tight. I specifically checked.

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
post #65 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter3d View Post
Resurrecting this thread. I've been having the same issue, and cleaning the wheel hubs only works for a while, then it comes back.

Now, I have replaced the stock bolts with the ones that used to be on my Exige (it currently has sector111 studs & nuts). As you can see, they are identical in every way, except that they are one-piece. The clicking is gone, and I am hoping it is gone for good.
So, the Sector 111 Exige Studs and Nuts should also be a direct replacement for the Evora Wheel Bolts ?
post #66 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 12:11 AM

I've had this sound, as well. Never noticed it until I had the windows down and driving on clover leafs where there is a barrier to reflect the sound back into the cabin. It seems too pervasive on too many cars to be something as simple as loose bolts.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
post #67 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer View Post
So, the Sector 111 Exige Studs and Nuts should also be a direct replacement for the Evora Wheel Bolts ?
In theory, but they are sold in packets of 16 (4 studs/nuts per wheel), and the evora has 5-bolt hubs. Also I think the sector111 black studs/nuts wouldn't look as good on the evora, which doesn't have black wheels. Mine doesn't anyway.

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
post #68 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Well I can say that every time I to the wheels of and put them back on the clicking goes away but comes back. I've since stopped noticing them over my sports exhaust.
post #69 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 PM

Clicking came back, so can't fault the two-piece lug bolts. However I think I have finally figured out the cause. When I took off the wheels, I noticed the little bolt that holds the brake rotor on was loose. It was like that on both sides, and both sides had started clicking. After tightening, clicking is gone.

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
post #70 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

the mystery continues..

I'm expecting another few years from now Lotus will have a TSB on it, long after our warranties have expired..

Here's what my dealership had said about it:

Explanation #1: "It is rocks kicking up as yo udrive. that's what you're hearing."
Explanation #2: "It's debris around the hub. We cleaned it and it went away" (they did no such thing as my brake shoes and disk were still covered in a pristine layer brake dust).
Explanation #3: "It's be your tires, they're worn. it's the steel belts clicking".
Explanation #4: "We found these little metal things in your wheel" (referring to metal tips from dynaplugs, a tire repair plug). But after removing them, it made no difference.
post #71 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 02:00 AM

Garage
I never had it again since I did the measures described in the previous post of mine.

'76 lotus esprit s1 - monaco white ... '11 lotus evora na - aspen white ... http://www.atw.cc/007
post #72 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 04:06 PM

Long time reader, Evora NA owner.

I have exactly the same random clicking on mine from the rear. Was heard at the factory in Hethel late last year while I was there for some mods and servicing. They had heard it one time before on a GT4; but could not diagnose it. I live with it, but will track it down eventually.

I'm very glad to hear its reasonably common. For those who don't have (hear?) it - it sounds like a bike brake cable hitting wheel spokes as the the rear wheel rotates. I like squidward's idea about the hub allen key grubscrew. I am taking of my winters at the end of this week and will try the loctite and report back.
post #73 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 12:46 PM
axm

Same issue on mine. Dealer tech did not think it was something to worry about. But it was driving me crazy, esp taking turns around 20-30 mph with the windows down.

Took it to a local independent shop recommended by an Exige owner. He basically, lubed the wheel centers, cleaned and applied anti-seize to the lugnuts and then re-torque'ed the axle hubs and wheels. Voila! Noise gone.
post #74 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axm View Post
Same issue on mine. Dealer tech did not think it was something to worry about. But it was driving me crazy, esp taking turns around 20-30 mph with the windows down.

Took it to a local independent shop recommended by an Exige owner. He basically, lubed the wheel centers, cleaned and applied anti-seize to the lugnuts and then re-torque'ed the axle hubs and wheels. Voila! Noise gone.
Yeah, just give it a week or two, noise will be back. Mine is back to clicking too, even after putting threadlocker on the little brake rotor bolt.

I am at a loss. It sucks so much, it is embarrassing driving through a street with a nice car going CLICK CLICK CLICK. I am going to bring it into the dealer monday, but I am not hopeful... the service guy at Los Gatos I talked to had never heard of this.

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
post #75 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 AM
axm

You are right, it came back. Took the wheels off and torque'd it slightly higher than spec. Gone / not noticed it again. Will check it again this weekend..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter3d View Post
Yeah, just give it a week or two, noise will be back. Mine is back to clicking too, even after putting threadlocker on the little brake rotor bolt.

I am at a loss. It sucks so much, it is embarrassing driving through a street with a nice car going CLICK CLICK CLICK. I am going to bring it into the dealer monday, but I am not hopeful... the service guy at Los Gatos I talked to had never heard of this.
post #76 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 09:26 AM

Try putting a small amount of grease on the entire lug nuts. I have had this problem on other cars I've owned and, believe it or not, it was the wheel just slipping a tad bit when I accelerated, turned, etc. The grease may keep the issue from becoming an audible ticking.
post #77 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:28 AM

I must ask is the noise from the rear wheels literally a click or does it squeak? Mine are squeaking between 30-80 kph and its annoying the hell out of me
post #78 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 AM

It's literally a click

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
post #79 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4092xx View Post
Try putting a small amount of grease on the entire lug nuts. I have had this problem on other cars I've owned and, believe it or not, it was the wheel just slipping a tad bit when I accelerated, turned, etc. The grease may keep the issue from becoming an audible ticking.
First of all they are lug bolts. Secondly grease has no business being on anything that is meant to keep the wheels on the car. How is this safe advice? Or am overreacting?
post #80 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
First of all they are lug bolts. Secondly grease has no business being on anything that is meant to keep the wheels on the car. How is this safe advice? Or am overreacting?
Agreed. If it was the wheel moving with respect to the hub, then that means the lugs are not properly torqued, and things would soon break.

I tried messing with the handbrake while the clicking was happening, but it makes no difference in the sound. The things that affect it:
  • Cleaning hub, or maybe just re-mounting the wheel: makes the clicks go away for a few days
  • Lateral load, increases the occurrence (clicks more likely).
  • Temperature: When cold, I hardly ever hear it, but doesn't take driving much for it to come back.

Car is at a dealer service now, will report back if they find anything...

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in