Clicking sound from rear wheels - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4092xx View Post
Hey Squid....I was trying to help you. No need to be rude in your response. Trust me, I will not try and help you anymore!

My occupation? Metallurgical Engineer, Manager of Operations.
Hey Rob, I PM'd you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:42 PM

Squid...thank you for the very nice PM! Classy thing for you to do!

Please let me know what you find once you resolve the ticking issue. Best of luck and drive safe!

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
Hey Rob, I PM'd you.
post #103 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I kinda have given up on trying to solve the ticking issue. I'm sure one of you will figure it out.. I've had this for about 3 years and decided I'm not going to waste any more time trying to fix it, but it istill is an intriguing mystery.

Every time I think I know what the problem is it always comes back.. I have it so long now I'm not even frustrated any more.. As you might know, my license plate is . Yes, that's the story of my Lotus

My latest theory is the wheel bolt design. If I've not seen this type of bolt on any other cars including the other Lotus models.

I suspect that as the the nature of the two piece design is that there is always some level of tolerance between the two pieces as forces are exerted on them. I suspect the clicking sound is the physical binding of the outer collar with the inner threads, resulting in a metallic snapping when bolt itself enlongates and contracts (it is after all a spring of sorts). Anyway just a theory.

Of course to prove this it would mean I'd have to replace my wheel bolts. I hunted around for a compatible set of bolts but couldn't find any, and I certainly didn't want to buy the titanium ones offered by Radium. I couldn't care about the nominal weight savings.. $300 to shaved a pound off the car has got to be the most ridiculous weight weenie upgrade ever lol. Plus they're weaker than stock ones why in the world anyone would buy them other than for bling is beyond me.

Anyway just more ideas.. they're cheap haha

post #104 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:55 PM

squid, I have already tried this using the bolts from my Exige. No luck.

I got my car back from the dealer today, the problem is gone for now. they followed a procedure requested by lotus, taking the whole brake system apartment cleaning the hub, rotor and caliper. Basically a more hardcore version of what has worked for me temporarily in the past. I'm not super hopeful that it will solve the problem for good but for now it is quiet.

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
2017 Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4
post #105 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Also what reinforces this idea that it's the bolts is that in every case, the sound goes away when the wheels are put back on the car.

At first the dealership blamed the debris in/around the brake/rotor assembly. They said they cleaned it and it went away when I picked up the car, then the clacking came shortly thereafter. (a few days)
Then they blamed it on the tires.. I eventually replaced them and they went away right afterwards but then the noise shortly thereafter. (2 week).
Then they blamed it on remnants of my tire repair kit (Dynaplugs) which they found that little metal arrows had fallen off the plug.. They remounted the tires and said the noise was gone when I picked up the car.. It came back a few days later.
Then in my own attempt to diagnose, I noticed the retaining screw on the rotor was loose. Using some thread lock i tightened it. It went away right away, but then came back a few days later. I took it off, the bolt was still tight, put the wheels back on, and it went away. Then came back a week or two later.
Then I replaced my wheels tires again. The sound went away.. Then came back 6 months later. Then I replaced my rims. Sound went away, and came back 6 months later. Then replaced my tires again.. Same story.

So the common denominator is that the clicking went away for no other reason than the fact that the wheels were removed and re-installed.

Anyway just for reference, I'll let you guys watch some videos I recorded over the years on this very problem...

Feb '12.

April, '12

March '13 (if you listen closely it's present in this unrelated video)
post #106 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:05 PM

A few times for me remounting the wheels didn't help. It clicks with the Exige bolts too (see the pics I posted earlier in this thread), so it isnt because of the 2piece bolt design.

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
post #107 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 07:13 PM

My Cayman S has a similar two piece bolt design. Not say that it's not the bolts, just noting that similar bolts are used on other vehicles. Biggest difference is the Cayman S originally had a torque spec of 130Nm/96 ft lbs and was later revised to 160Nm/118 ft lbs.

2011 Lotus Evora S 2+0 - Ardent Red
2008 Cayman S - Speed Yellow
1991 Toyota MR2 V6 - ChumpCar
2011 VW Tiguan
2009 Dodge Sprinter 2500XL Class B Conversion
Sold: Audi A4, '65 Ford Fairlane 500, Passat TDI
post #108 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 07:14 PM

Wow - Squidward - that's louder than I thought it would be. Been following this thread and may have missed it. Does it do it when the wheels are off the ground and you rotate the tire by hand? (Car in neutral of course). Is it both rear wheels, one side, front wheels? All four?

James
post #109 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 PM

If it's the same issue, it only happens when the car loads the wheel, not when lifted. Also its only on the drivers side with mine.

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2

Last edited by pieter3d; 06-03-2014 at 07:41 PM.
post #110 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James33 View Post
Wow - Squidward - that's louder than I thought it would be. Been following this thread and may have missed it. Does it do it when the wheels are off the ground and you rotate the tire by hand? (Car in neutral of course). Is it both rear wheels, one side, front wheels? All four?

James
not fronts, only rears. and I believe both sides, not at the same time though.
post #111 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 04:16 PM

I think it is only the driver's side.

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
post #112 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 06:19 PM

Parking brake related if only one side on the rear maybe?
post #113 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 AM

Garage
ok, so today I decided to address my clicking issue.

Following a suggestion I found on The Lotus Forums | Official Community Partner of Lotus Cars I cleaned the face of the wheel where it mounts to the hub and the hub face.

Not sure if it is going to be permanent, but the clicking is gone for now.

2011 Lotus Elise R Ardent Red/Black
2013 Lotus Evora S Carbon Grey/Black (sold)
2010 Lotus Evora 2+2 / Arctic Silver/Charcoal (sold )
2016 Ford Focus RS / Frozen White
2015 Mini Countryman S / Cosmic Blue
post #114 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:05 AM

It'll be back. The problem is more complicated than that. Also, a dirty wheel is not a satisfactory explanation for me.

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
post #115 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 AM

Sounds like an under torqued wheel to me but I know everyone has checked and double checked that. I do know that the Cayman with similar two piece lugs has a much higher torque spec (originally 96ftlbs later revised to 118ftlbs).

2011 VW Tiguan
post #116 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:35 AM

I tried replacing my lugs with single piece and it made no difference.

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
post #117 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 07:41 AM

Yes, but even with single piece lugs you can get a clicking from the wheel actually moving ever so slightly under load. Given that everyone seems to indicate that removing the wheel and putting it back on alleviates the issue for a bit would make you think it's in the interface between the hub, wheel and lugs. Not sure what else would be effected by removal of the wheel. I would think that if it was the hub/wheel bearing then removing the wheel wouldn't have any effect as the load on the hub would be the same after the car is off the jacks.

I guess if it was me, not that I recommend anyone take my suggestions, I would probably incrementally torque the lugs a few ft lbs at a time to a reasonable max (say 90/95ft lbs) and see if it resolves the issue. To tell the truth I believe my wheels are torqued to 89 ft lbs as I thought it had the same torque spec as the MR2 last time I was at the track.

2011 VW Tiguan
post #118 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:08 AM

Trying Copper Greased Lugs MY12 - Evora S IPS

I too have been scratching my head on my loud right hand hairpin clicking and quiet clicking on left hand hairpins. Having read all of other people's tests I have done some test measures as follows:

-Had a garage check for any mechanical issue (no issue)
-Had 4 wheel alignment done (no difference)
-Removed wheels and cleaned hub and wheel contact with Brake dust remover (felt good but simply can't be relevant in my view)
-Checked all lug studs and found 2 to have the lug cover jammed forward- I replaced these with new ones that I had in place of the locking nuts

-I have used a small amount of copper grease on each lug and tightened all lugs to 120NM - I've used copper grease on nuts in the past and never had any wander off unlike the loosening issues I've experienced on the Evora in the 1st 6 months of ownership - I'm inclined to go with Rob4092's explanation.

I'm out in the mountains tomorrow and will keep measuring any torque changes in the lug nuts after each spirited run in the next month (before the salt comes) and will report back as to both Clicking noises and to torque setting changes.
Attached Images

post #119 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:30 AM

My lug bolts used to look like the ones in your pics, but during it's last trip at the dealer, they replaced them with shiny new ones. The clicking went away and so far isn't back.

2013 Mazda Mazdaspeed3
2015 Kawasaki H2
post #120 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Longboarder: Did this eliminate the clicking noise????

Quote:
Originally Posted by longboarder77 View Post
I too have been scratching my head on my loud right hand hairpin clicking and quiet clicking on left hand hairpins. Having read all of other people's tests I have done some test measures as follows:

-Had a garage check for any mechanical issue (no issue)
-Had 4 wheel alignment done (no difference)
-Removed wheels and cleaned hub and wheel contact with Brake dust remover (felt good but simply can't be relevant in my view)
-Checked all lug studs and found 2 to have the lug cover jammed forward- I replaced these with new ones that I had in place of the locking nuts

-I have used a small amount of copper grease on each lug and tightened all lugs to 120NM - I've used copper grease on nuts in the past and never had any wander off unlike the loosening issues I've experienced on the Evora in the 1st 6 months of ownership - I'm inclined to go with Rob4092's explanation.

I'm out in the mountains tomorrow and will keep measuring any torque changes in the lug nuts after each spirited run in the next month (before the salt comes) and will report back as to both Clicking noises and to torque setting changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in