Clicking sound from rear wheels - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 10:34 PM

The only time I've ever hear these bicycle clicks on my 13 ips are when I'm creeping the brake reversing, straight or turning. For me it seems to click as soon as the wheels start turning with my foot lightly on the brake. Creeping forward and turning in parking lot or doing slow u-turns, no clicks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"According to astronomy, when you wish upon a star you're actually a few million years too late... that star is dead, just like your dreams."

1983 Toyota Cressida
1995 Honda Civic LX
2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250
2007 Pontiac Solstice Roadster
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2009 Mercedes Benz 350 SLK Roadster
2013 Lotus Evora IPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymotix3 View Post
The only time I've ever hear these bicycle clicks on my 13 ips are when I'm creeping the brake reversing, straight or turning. For me it seems to click as soon as the wheels start turning with my foot lightly on the brake. Creeping forward and turning in parking lot or doing slow u-turns, no clicks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hey I am hearing the same bicycle clicks (i.e. the sound when you lock the bicycle pedals and just let the wheels spin) too on my 2012 IPS, mostly when I turn. Sometimes it sounds like the noise when you move an old wooden door. Went to the dealer once already and they said that it was some loose bolts, can't remember which ones though, and they kind of fixed it, the noise went away for a few days. Now the noises are back, and every time I turn I feel like the wheels are gonna fall off... I've scheduled an appointment with my dealer again and will see what's up.
post #123 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:50 AM

Still clicking but less than before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4092xx View Post
Longboarder: Did this eliminate the clicking noise????
Hi Rob,
I only had 1 run in the autumn before putting the Evora away for winter. Clicking on my right hand turn was still there with a small amount of copper grease on the nut but my impression was that it was reduced from before.

It seems also when checking the Torque setting that the lug nuts have better purchase with greased threads. Does that make sense to you? I'm inclined to put some more grease on and then clean them off after some more driving. I also have a new set of wheels coming in April so will see if that makes any difference.

post #124 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:16 PM

I felt very confident this would help! Just be sure to check the torque after driving a few mile....again at 50 miles. Then again at 100 miles. Assuming they did not loosen, and I confident they will not, just enjoy your ride!

Like I have stated before, and despite all the naysayers who replied, this should help eliminate or significant reduce the ticking noise.

Personally, I would not use any type of metallic grease. I always used very thick, high temperature axle grease for best results
post #125 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:23 PM

Oh ya....one more thing....clean off everything before applying. I would also put grease behind each lug nut hole on the wheel where the wheel mates with the rotor. This will prevent any noise from slippage. YES, there is minute slippage when you mate aluminum wheels to the solid metal axle. Pressing two different types of metal against each other can create noise under extreme tension. I hope this makes sense to you.
post #126 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Grease is not a cure all. In fact wheel bolt torque setting are based on dry threads, torque specs are the indirect way to apply pretension to the wheel bolt. Too light tension permits wheel to move and shear bolt, too much overloads to bolt when fully loaded in cornering leading to snapped bolts.

Reducing torque friction with grease results in a higher tension load being applied for a given torque setting. Industrial equipment overcomes this problem by specing dry and lubed torque values.. car companies just say keep it clean and dry of grease oil.. besides, applying grease here eventually get to to the brake discs.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #127 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 12:07 PM

Clicking

Been investigating this... Striped it off, we looked at the drums, and noticed that there is signs of rubbing on the metal. Scuff wear makes in various areas some more sporadic but one area in particular had more wear. The same was seen on the other side. The noisiest clicking side we noticed that the plate where the drum was was slightly bent down fraction of a mm, and if you look on top you see more slight bend in the plate and top of the rim on the drum. Directly under this dent, slight bent of the metal there is much more wear which looks like it's been connecting the disc. We washed it down noticed more random wearing. We rubbed and sanded down the back if the disc, all around the drum removing any dirt, loose metal and rust, knocked the bend in the drum plate back to its original position. Then we gave it another wash down, blew out any holes in the disc and in the drum, adjusted the handbrake. Did the same on both sides. We did notice that there may be a slightly dry bearing possibly further past the cv joint, on one of the sides for further investigation. Everything put back on tighter up, so far the clicking noises have gone, I've got couple of photos. Not sure if you will see what I mean.

post #128 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 12:09 PM

post #129 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Keep an eye on it and tell us how long before it comes back. The difficulty about this is that whenever the wheels are removed and replaced the problem subsides for a period of time. This has lead me and a few other folks to attribute false credit as you may be doing also. Nonetheless good luck with it.
post #130 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
Keep an eye on it and tell us how long before it comes back. The difficulty about this is that whenever the wheels are removed and replaced the problem subsides for a period of time. This has lead me and a few other folks to attribute false credit as you may be doing also. Nonetheless good luck with it.
Haha, I stopped hearing the rear wheel clicks because of the plack. I still have my steering wheel turning clicks I've been too lazy to get taken care of.

"According to astronomy, when you wish upon a star you're actually a few million years too late... that star is dead, just like your dreams."

1983 Toyota Cressida
1995 Honda Civic LX
2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250
2007 Pontiac Solstice Roadster
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2009 Mercedes Benz 350 SLK Roadster
2013 Lotus Evora IPS
post #131 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Will let you know how long til come back or if they come back at all. Could be number of things just a process of elimination and then reporting back
post #132 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 11:17 AM

guess what.... its back :-( annoying one month on
post #133 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
its back
post #134 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 AM

Ok, I have any update after 1000 km of new testing. I think Rob 4092 is right. Here is where I'm at:
-So from the posts I have made above I used a very small amount of copper grease on the rear lug nuts and I had the impression that there was a small improvement in my right hand turn clicking but no cure.
Then, I was unhappy about the inconsistent amounts and the brand of copper grease I had used and it was too thick, so I decided to go back and clean all the lug nuts. I did this using WD40.
-I soaked each nut in WD40 and then used a rag to wipe all signs of copper grease and oxidisation till the nuts were dry but holding only the slightest residue of WD40.
Since then I have done a tour of the Pyrenees of around 1000km and I have had no clicking. I've done nothing to the contact face between the wheel and the hub.
post #135 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 AM

This is what I have been saying for years! I am happy it worked for you!!!!
post #136 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:35 AM

I am not sure how long the WD40 will last since it is so thin and has solvent in it which tendts to dry quickly. I would try axle grease next time. Whatever you use, be sure to check the lug nuts tightness every 100 miles or so for the first 500 miles or so.
post #137 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 01:28 PM

Nobody else with the 'clicking' issue has tried this????
post #138 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 09:54 PM

Garage
I need to address this clicking noise, going to try this.

2011 Lotus Elise R Ardent Red/Black
2013 Lotus Evora S Carbon Grey/Black (sold)
2010 Lotus Evora 2+2 / Arctic Silver/Charcoal (sold )
2016 Ford Focus RS / Frozen White
2015 Mini Countryman S / Cosmic Blue
post #139 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

be careful not to lose your nuts

err i mean ur screw

I check mine sometime a screw loose other time another screw loose. Tighten tighten!
post #140 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 04:21 PM

Any updates or new info on the "clicking" issue??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in