Clutch pedal free play - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NumberSix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Clutch pedal free play

New to me 2011 Evora S, just discovered the cruise control does not engage. Previous owner had the clutch master replaced, I believe its a wilwood master. So I poked my head under the dash and noticed that there is a lot of play between the clutch pedal and the clevis rod end. I removed the clevis pin and it is pretty worn. Car has 22k miles total and less on the wilwood master, seems awfully worn down for the mileage.
I'll replace the pin. My question is, the clevis pin is 8mm dia but the hole for the pin on the clutch pedal is quite a bit larger, maybe ~8.5mm. Is this normal? I can't seem to get in there to measure, not enough room, but the hole seems round rather than oval shaped which would indicate that's not just worn out larger.

My other question is do you know if I can remove these two bolts holding the clutch position switch bracket to the bulkhead or are there nuts behind the bulkhead and I would need to remove the front clam to access? (are there captive nuts on the other side?)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:28 PM

Garage
I don't recall there being another set of nuts on the clam-side for the sensor bracket, but I also didn't remove that bracket when I did my Wilwood.

The clevis pin hole in the clutch pedal side should be pretty tight fitting. The Wilwood side of the clevis most likely needed to be enlarged for that pin, but if it's too large it'll introduce slop. Sounds like the person that drilled out the clevis didn't have the right size bit. Pretty sure you can get the clevis separately from the m/c. Just be sure to measure its current distance from the pedal box wall prior to unscrewing it.

Based on the wear placement indicated on the pin though, it seems as if the hole in the clutch pedal arm is out of round, or too large. That would mean having to get another clutch pedal.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:31 AM

I would move the clutch pedal closer to the foot well with the threads on the rod first. I had that issue as well. It sat like way higher when I put the Wilwood in but then lowered it and now everything works just fine. I do have a little play in the pedal though.

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S

Last edited by MrMaru; 04-03-2019 at 08:51 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Just a follow up in case anyone ever runs into this same problem.
First, the dealer that installed this master did a poor job. The rod on the master was too long and was touching the pedal. I needed to cut the rod back at least a 1/4 inch.
second, don't try to remove the clutch position switch bracket, there are nuts attaching it on the other side of the bulkhead.
Third, If you are ever working on the pedals do yourself a favor a remove the drivers knee bolster, it's two torx screws and it will give an extra precious inch or so room to work.
Lastly, the clevis is 8mm dia and the hole in the pedal was around 10mm. I found a sleeved washer that was just about prefect to take up the gap. These are 5/16" which is very close to 8mm: https://www.mcmaster.com/93762a200
Also used 3 of these washers: https://www.mcmaster.com/91545a470
There is now just the right amount of play and the pedal is so much smoother to depress. I can't believe what a difference it has made and my cruise control is working now too!
agentdr8 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:07 AM

What is this drivers knee pad yu speak of?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Number 9 in the diagram. It may be a federal only part.
Attached Images

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Number 9 in the diagram. It may be a federal only part.
Yes Federal only

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in