Codes after BOE CAI install - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer View Post
I don't think that the thin sheet metal used in the dryer vent is rigid enough to firmly clamp onto the intake lip without collapsing.
4 inch OD aluminium tube is readily available from Aircraft Spruce, and many other suppliers.
Seemed solid enough when I put the hose clamp around it and the flex hose. I didn't crank the clamp down to point of crushing the tube, but I did give it a good yank to make sure it wasn't coming off.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 01:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
I don't think that the thin sheet metal used in the dryer vent is rigid enough to firmly clamp onto the intake lip without collapsing.
4 inch OD aluminium tube is readily available from Aircraft Spruce, and many other suppliers.
Since I haven't been able to resolve my P0175 code yet (even after uninstalling/reinstalling the whole CAI), I'm going to ditch that sheet metal tube and go with a 6061-T6 aluminum one as recommended. Most all places want around $50 for a foot section shipped, which I find ridiculous, but I found an online shop called Speedy Metals that could supply it for about half. Hopefully that'll get rid of that code, otherwise I'll have to start looking into other areas (vacuum leak detection, O2 sensors, etc).

@8Bit Gary did you ever solve your P0175 issue?

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Nope not yet! We back to stock and it came back again after i filled up on gas. I'm driving it around more often to see if its gas related because it seem to come up after I get a full tank of gas but I'm not sure if its related as I do get gas from one gas station most of the time. I think the next thing we might try is o2 sensor replacement. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
Since I haven't been able to resolve my P0175 code yet (even after uninstalling/reinstalling the whole CAI), I'm going to ditch that sheet metal tube and go with a 6061-T6 aluminum one as recommended. Most all places want around $50 for a foot section shipped, which I find ridiculous, but I found an online shop called Speedy Metals that could supply it for about half. Hopefully that'll get rid of that code, otherwise I'll have to start looking into other areas (vacuum leak detection, O2 sensors, etc).

@8Bit Gary did you ever solve your P0175 issue?

I doubt that your tubing is causing the codes. They are more likely from a vacuum leak, or similar issue.

Last edited by Bobsy Racer; 09-22-2017 at 01:40 PM.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
I have 3 feet of the 4" 6061 aluminum tubing. I can mail/ship you a 2.5" long piece for just the mailing cost. PM me if interested.
I doubt that your tubing is causing the codes. They are more likely from a vacuum leak, or similar issue.
Ah thanks for the offer Bobsy. I ended up buying a foot section, so I too will have some spare for anyone else that might want some at a future date.

And yeah, I can't imagine how the intake tubing pre-MAF would affect it, unless the hose itself were crimped and no air was making it through.

It's interesting that putting the stock airbox back in didn't resolve it for Gary; that was something I was going to try as well. I guess I'll have to go over the intake with some carb cleaner.

post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:33 PM

If I'm not mistaken(it was a while ago and I haven't had my car in 7months : ( the P0175 P0172 is referring to the left and right banks. I also threw those codes with the Komotech intake.
They are actually caused by a leak post MAF. I had the stock clamps cranked down but guess it wasn't enough. I purchased heavy duty clamps from NAPA and codes gone... popped up again a few weeks later... I retightened and cleared haven't returned after 5k miles : )
Hope this helps
Cheers
-t

2014 Aspen White Evora S IPS -Larini valved exhaust, de-res pipe and black tips, Komotec CAI, Nitron singles w/Eibach custom spring rates, H&R 11mm spacers, GT4 wing, Barge boards, CF canards, CF A frames, CF side scoops, Alpine type R Mids, Tweets, and Sub w/JL Audio amp
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACH1K View Post
If I'm not mistaken(it was a while ago and I haven't had my car in 7months : ( the P0175 P0172 is referring to the left and right banks. I also threw those codes with the Komotech intake.
They are actually caused by a leak post MAF. I had the stock clamps cranked down but guess it wasn't enough. I purchased heavy duty clamps from NAPA and codes gone... popped up again a few weeks later... I retightened and cleared haven't returned after 5k miles : )
Thanks for the helpful insight. I thought the BOE kit came with clamps, but maybe it didn't and I reused the stock ones. I'll have to find some heavier duty ones and give it a shot.

post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
Thanks for the helpful insight.
I can't find any pics of the clamps
But I do remember they have to be a certain width... If you just get the heavy duty clamps they're too wide and don't fit within the guides...

Eliminates "Cold Flow Hose Leaks" by Automatically Adjusting Diameter For Hose Compression Set or Expansion/Contraction of Hose & Fittings Due to Temperature Changes.
Attached Images

2014 Aspen White Evora S IPS -Larini valved exhaust, de-res pipe and black tips, Komotec CAI, Nitron singles w/Eibach custom spring rates, H&R 11mm spacers, GT4 wing, Barge boards, CF canards, CF A frames, CF side scoops, Alpine type R Mids, Tweets, and Sub w/JL Audio amp
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:02 AM

Garage
@8Bit Gary as a follow-up, after @BACH1K 's recommendation on better clamps, I bought some heavy duty ones (although not the constant-tension ones posted above) and replaced all the clamps before and after the MAF, mostly just for consistency. There are 2 different sizes; the one that connects directly to the throttle body is a larger one, and the 3 preceding it are slightly smaller. I'll look back through my notes and post up the metric sizes that I found.

After cranking them down, I reset the OBD codes and took it for a drive. After a few miles, the MIL came back on, so I assumed the clamps didn't resolve the issue. Fast-forward a week or so, the MIL turned itself off, and now there are no longer any codes stored. So maybe the clamps did resolve the issue, but because it affects the map, the ECU needed time to re-learn the proper AFR with the air leak fixed.

EDIT: The larger clamp I got was 89-97mm (3 1/4"), and the smaller size was 83-91mm (3").
BACH1K likes this.

Last edited by agentdr8; 09-22-2017 at 01:50 PM.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 03:37 PM

Garage
I just installed on my 2010 NA and everything is working fine, no codes, but I'm not clear about the PCV hose connection.

The instructions just say " attach the PCV hose to the 5/8 port on the bottom of the CAI inlet elbow. " No pictures of the connection are shown. (step 11 a.)

This is a connection between two soft rubber parts, of roughly the same diameter, and no fitting is provided?

I improvised something, umm... unsatisfying... How did you guys make this connection?

2010 Evora / Phantom Black / Oyster / premium,sport,tech packs / Manual / 2+2
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:38 PM

Garage
That PCV hose originally attached at the top of the inlet elbow on the stock system. On the BOE, the fitting is on the underside of the elbow.

I can snag a pic of that tomorrow.

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 08:23 AM

Garage
Thanks,

I know what needs to be connected.

I'm really curious about what type of fitting you used?

I figure I need something like this with 2 clamps
Attached Images

2010 Evora / Phantom Black / Oyster / premium,sport,tech packs / Manual / 2+2
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:03 AM

Garage
Sorry, I didn't realize your BOE kit didn't come with that piece. It's an elbow hose adapter like the one you posted, but I can't recall if it was plastic or metal. Either way, as long as it fits the inlet elbow bung and the PCV hose it should be fine. I don't believe the inlet elbow side has a clamp, as it's fitted in there pretty tight. I just reused the stock clamp on the hose side.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

I think I just have bad luck with my CAI.

Long story short, couldn't figure out my original issue so I went back to stock and no lights after. 6 months after I tried installing it again and none of the original lights popped up BUT now I am getting P0106. Asked my friend google about the issue and came up with a few fixes. Checking the PCV making sure there isn't any pinch in the line and cleaning the MAF and throttle body. Still no luck.

Anymore suggestions?
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:00 PM

Garage
That code is MAF-related, so it's either an intake leak after the sensor, or maybe the connector or MAF sensor itself. But if it goes away when you put all the stock stuff back in, then I'd be more inclined to think it's an air leak, as it seems everything is hyper-sensitive to unmeasured air.

If you haven't tried some heavy duty clamps on the BOE, I'd recommend it. After torquing them down, and resetting the OBD codes, it was fine for a few weeks. The MIL came back and I just had to re-torque the clamps again and it's been solid since.

post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 06:48 PM
Ddlutz

Hi 8Bit Gary, I seem to be having very similar problems to you. I bought a 2012 Evora n/a in December, and I've had a ton of codes thrown with it. I've had the P0106 happen twice in a row, and then I had the fuel too rich with p0106, and then I had fuel too rich again. I've taken the car multiple times to Park Place Ltd, and they claim that the issue is because the Evora is very sensitive. They are going to swap out the CAI with the stock and see if it makes a difference. It sounds like for you in your post #23, that you actually did have issue come back after going to stock.

Have you been able to figure out any more of what's going on? Did you try the heavy duty clamps? I've been searching all over and I'm glad I finally found somebody that is having the same issues as me.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dlutz View Post
Hi 8Bit Gary, I seem to be having very similar problems to you. I bought a 2012 Evora n/a in December, and I've had a ton of codes thrown with it. I've had the P0106 happen twice in a row, and then I had the fuel too rich with p0106, and then I had fuel too rich again. I've taken the car multiple times to Park Place Ltd, and they claim that the issue is because the Evora is very sensitive. They are going to swap out the CAI with the stock and see if it makes a difference. It sounds like for you in your post #23, that you actually did have issue come back after going to stock.

Have you been able to figure out any more of what's going on? Did you try the heavy duty clamps? I've been searching all over and I'm glad I finally found somebody that is having the same issues as me.
So the issue came back after I went back to stock and my car went into the learning mode. I drove the car from LA to ATL Lotus dealership where they couldn't find any issues what so ever. Got the car back and it ran flawless so the issue fixed itself? I tried installing the intake again few months after the car drove normally and it threw the P0106 code again but not the system too rich this time. The car drove fine but the code would pop up every few start up. I love the intake but I can't stand lights so I went back to stock eventually and its driving fine now. My harness was switched out already and Lotus dealership said my car is good so I'm just assuming my Evora is sensitive. Sold the intake to my buddy and he installed it on his car without any issue. Also, I tried everything everyone suggested, MAF cleaning, throttle body cleaning, checked PVC tube, and stronger clamps (maybe one of these method would help with the fuel too rich because I didn't get that my 2nd go around).
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Did you ever try replacing/swapping your MAF sensor? With all the issues, it wouldn't be the worst idea. They are reasonably finicky bits.

Having a shop do a full intake pressure test & vac test wouldn't be a terrible idea either. It might be somewhere else entirely.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:13 AM

Garage
Hate to necro this post, but I've been battling with the P0172/P0175 codes for the past few months now. After getting better hose clamps, the issue was gone for months, but now it's back. I went through my normal routine of tightening all the clamps, cleaning the MAF, cleaning the BOE air filter, but the rich codes have still persisted. I went as far as buying a smoke tester and found an unrelated vacuum leak in the hose leading to the brake booster, which was resolved by replacing that piece of hose. Recently, I bought a new MAF, but it apparently wasn't the problem, as it too is still showing the same codes.

Earlier this week I swapped the stock air box back in, hoping that it would resolve the problem. I manually cleared the codes, but within 2 drives, the MIL is back on with the same codes.

At this point, I'm thinking maybe it's something else other than a post-MAF air leak. Any insight would be appreciated.

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:24 AM

Could be a bad O2 sensor or a leak on the exhaust side ahead of the first O2?

From all the things you've done that and making sure the ECU is on the latest firmware would be my next steps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in