7Likes
  • 1 Post By agentdr8
  • 4 Post By GatorMS_Service
  • 2 Post By GatorMS_Service

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Comms failure EMS

Hi there,

Just received my 2011 Evora IPS auto with a flat battery, guys at the port tried jump starting it with the key in the 'on' position, my auto electrician said chances are that has probably fired the ECU- anyone had this problem before or seen that 'Comms failure EMS' warning light before? Please help! Quite annoyed to say the least if I have to replace the ECU because of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:54 PM

Garage
What does that light look like? A wrench? Or is it a message displayed one of the information panels?

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:54 AM
Got Parts?

@Liamlotus
ECM is more than likely fried.

It most commonly happens when the key is in the ignition while trying to jump an Evora. We have seen a few cars come in with this issue.

We always keep the key away from the vehicle until we have the jump box connected. Then we proceed to grab the key and start the vehicle. The ECM is extremely sensitive to voltage spikes and is powered up when the key is in the ignition in ANY position.

IF this is the issue, you will need a new ECM, label, and the ECU has to be reprogrammed by a Lotus dealer. Variant codes, TCU pairing, Green learns procedure, everything. It is usually between 4-5 hours of labor for removal, reinstall, reprogram, ect.

Retail price on the ECM is $1614.05, and the label is like $6.

@agentdr8 - It is a message on the right side in the coolant temp widow on the cluster. "COMMS ERR"

GATOR MOTORSPORT
'The Lotus Evora - A Rose of a Different Color'
Authorized Lotus, Rossion, Magnum, and Zenos dealership.
Specializing in Lotus service, parts, and performance upgrades.
"Unrivaled Excellence"
3353 West 96th Street. Indianapolis, IN 46268
(855)-428-6767
www.GatorMotorsport.com
www.LotusParts.com
Click here to take a virtual tour of our facilities!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Garage
Ouch. Hopefully you can get those guys at the port (or their company) to foot the bill @Liamlotus

Thanks for the info Gator. It'll definitely come in handy if I'm ever in that situation.
GatorMS_Parts likes this.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Supporting Vendor

There is new hope. We recently received information that the ECU can be saved when this COMMS ERR occurs. It is a time consuming process, but it can be done at a Lotus dealer that has all the proper information and contacts and software (which should be any certified Lotus dealer). In most cases it will only be a labor charge, no parts needed.

Best of luck,

T.J.

GATOR MOTORSPORT
"Unrivaled Excellence"
(855)-428-6767
www.GatorMotorsport.com

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Gator and agentdr8, hopefully it will work out. I have attached the error message.
Attached Images

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:22 AM
Supporting Vendor

That is the message. I would tow it to your dealer and have them go through the procedure I outlined in my earlier comments. Best of luck. If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to shoot me an email and I will be happy to help in any way I can. [email protected].

T.J.

GATOR MOTORSPORT
"Unrivaled Excellence"
(855)-428-6767
www.GatorMotorsport.com

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 07:06 AM

Garage
did you ever get this resolved?? Mine has been at the dealer for almost half a month now with similar issue and little progress made..
just looking for answers at this point..
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:22 AM
BANNED

You're both screwed. You need an ECU. Same thing happened to me, and I tried literally EVERY avenue to save it. The worst part about my case is that while I was having exhaust designed for my car the fabricator left the trunk open, killed the battery, and fried the ECU while trying to jump start, then refused to take responsibility. My local Lotus dealer Ferrari Bentley Lotus of Denver took care of me, I was able to source a new ECU from an online dealer for around $950 shipped, and they slashed the installation cost to $100 flat rate. I then told the fabricator to pound sand when he handed me a $1000 bill for his work, so I came close to breaking even.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobo941 View Post
You're both screwed. You need an ECU. Same thing happened to me, and I tried literally EVERY avenue to save it. The worst part about my case is that while I was having exhaust designed for my car the fabricator left the trunk open, killed the battery, and fried the ECU while trying to jump start, then refused to take responsibility. My local Lotus dealer Ferrari Bentley Lotus of Denver took care of me, I was able to source a new ECU from an online dealer for around $950 shipped, and they slashed the installation cost to $100 flat rate. I then told the fabricator to pound sand when he handed me a $1000 bill for his work, so I came close to breaking even.
Yep ECM fried at the hands of the dealership employee, but I still had to assume responsibility.. despite trying the software patch, nothing could be done to save it.

My whole ordeal cost me almost $3500 and 29 days without the car. The car is still under warranty and I was not behind the wheel when the error came up, but Lotus still claims I was still responsible for the whole thing.

New battery, new ECM from Lotus, 2 tows and 1k in labor.

Disputing the responsibility and charges with Lotus but I highly doubt I'll ever even get a response back from them.
As much as I love my car, the whole experience has left me somewhat disappointed in the brand as a whole.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NichyNeato View Post
Yep ECM fried at the hands of the dealership employee, but I still had to assume responsibility.. despite trying the software patch, nothing could be done to save it.

My whole ordeal cost me almost $3500 and 29 days without the car. The car is still under warranty and I was not behind the wheel when the error came up, but Lotus still claims I was still responsible for the whole thing.

New battery, new ECM from Lotus, 2 tows and 1k in labor.

Disputing the responsibility and charges with Lotus but I highly doubt I'll ever even get a response back from them.
As much as I love my car, the whole experience has left me somewhat disappointed in the brand as a whole.
Let me guess, Park Place? Their Lotus tech is as crooked as they come.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texevora View Post
Let me guess, Park Place? Their Lotus tech is as crooked as they come.
lol yep, indeed they are.

Only reason I took it there is because I was under the impression it was a warranty issue. Otherwise they will never see my face, my car... or my money again.

I thought they should have at least comped me the labor charges because of how mishandled the situation was, but nope, their bottom line is most important to them over customer service/ satisfaction.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Garage
It might not be something you want to do, but I'd probably consider doing a chargeback if it were me.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Plug Whisperer

Anyone wants to send me a "fried ECU", I'd love to see if it's really fried...

Cheers,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:43 AM
Nein Kinder

@turbophil - The ECU vulnerability described here seems like a real gotcha and one that would put the ECU at risk any time the vehicle was out for service. Does your firm have enough experience with the Evora to develop power conditioning that would prevent ECU damage from transient voltage spikes? It seems like it would be as simple as a capacitor or a zener diode in the right place. If I had an Evora, I'd sure as heck being doing something . . .

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
It might not be something you want to do, but I'd probably consider doing a chargeback if it were me.
Whats a chargeback?

I gave my old EMC back to Lotus for diagnostics hoping they'd see i was not at fault, but again, doubtful ill hear back
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NichyNeato View Post
Whats a chargeback?

I gave my old EMC back to Lotus for diagnostics hoping they'd see i was not at fault, but again, doubtful ill hear back
It's where your credit card company revokes the funds on your behalf, essentially: https://www.dalpay.com/en/support/chargebacks.html and https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cred...d-chargebacks/

2011 Evora S - Carbon Grey
2014 Fiat 500e (DD)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:37 PM

Are there any updates on this thread?

I swapped my battery out to come back to a "Comms Failure EMS". I didn't jump anything, so I'm utterly confused. I did try and start when the trickle charger was connected though.

I'm going to setup a dealer appointment. Has anybody confirmed if the labor (software) only solution works and what it cost them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in