Decisions, decisions. To go back to stock or... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ShadowWulf369
  • 2 Post By brgelise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
RegisteredUser of a Lotus

Question Decisions, decisions. To go back to stock or...

Hey Guys, So I've got my 2013 Evora S IPS and I've been doing some modifications. I had a 2bular header set up installed and a tune done at a local tuner with a mustang dyno. I'm at the point where I feel like im stuck. On the one hand I have my car that was running perfectly before, now tuned with 2bular headers and the stock exhaust. The sound is far better than it was before and after the tune it got, it seems like its faster on the top end but as i mentioned before in this post, it doesn't feel as fast as it did before and I keep getting a CEL for p0420 code for bank 1. The tuner is confident he can tune that out but I don't know. I also noticed that when on the highway for an extended period, the car won't downshift from 6th when i slam the gas as it did before i did all of these changes. I feel like it has something to do with the tune but have no idea really. After reading your responses and doing some research, I think the solution would be to either put the stock tune and manifold back on and just change the exhaust to a plack or similar system, or keep going and finish what I've started by getting either a plack or similar and upgrading the pulley with the Monkey Wrench Racing design at 66mm so I can get that umph back. Does anyone have experience with this? Any thoughts on what direction I should go?

Did they Notice that
Im in a Lotus?
2013 Lotus Evora S IPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:12 PM
Addict

Garage
How much experience does your tuner have with this car? I'm not that familiar with the Evora but feel of the pants as it relates to power can be deceiving, smoother power delivery may feel slower. The CEL and downshifting do sound like issues related to the tune though. I'd call a few other tuners (BOE comes to mind) to see what advice they have in addition to what others here say.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:22 PM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
With regard to the downshifting, you might have to go through a green learn on the transmission. This way it will relearn when to up- and down-shift. I believe this needs to be set in TechCenter. I just had the BOE TEK installed on my IPS and it's highly recommended to do a green learn on the transmission as a result. My car is shifting when I think it should be for the most part, it goofs up occasionally, but it's always learning from how I treat it.

I would say keep going forward with what you've started, just know what you're looking for as a result. Is it louder sound? Faster 0-60? Higher top speed? A higher number on a dyno sheet? Better fuel economy (probably not haha)? High reliability? Just know what the goal is and work toward that because you likely can't have the best of all worlds.
etaent likes this.

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response guys! Shadow, I am definitely not looking for improved fuel economy! LOL. I am however looking for improved sound, faster 0-60 and faster speed over all. I'll reach out to BOE because honestly, i don't think the tuner knows what he's doing! So pulley and full exhaust and keep going is the verdict?

Did they Notice that
Im in a Lotus?
2013 Lotus Evora S IPS
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:29 PM
glb

Wait a moment.

1. How did your local tuner change your tune. What software? Has he ever tuned an Evora before?

2. I will not likely ever understand why ppl skip this important step:

Pick an RPM range where you want to gain power. Using a digital stopwatch, use whatever gear you need to get you thru this range without shifting.

(Shifting introduces variables we don't want.)

Then, after work is done, using same bit of road, with same amt of gas/weight in car, time it again.

Compare results. (see https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...erience-37912/) PES Experience

3. Note some headers produce power gains only at higher, others only mid-range. What were you looking for and how is the header you chose rated for that. (Check BOE tests.)

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:31 AM

Since when did another tuner crack the code?

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:39 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaent View Post
Thanks for your response guys! Shadow, I am definitely not looking for improved fuel economy! LOL. I am however looking for improved sound, faster 0-60 and faster speed over all. I'll reach out to BOE because honestly, i don't think the tuner knows what he's doing! So pulley and full exhaust and keep going is the verdict?
. The rest of the exhaust is more weight savings and sound not power modifiers, however if you cannot get the tune right Do NOT continue with a pulley change. The pulley changes boost level thus needed new fuel rates, additionally it raises IAT rates which may then need adjustments to timing etc. to cut back preignition. The other thing is a pulley boost without an Intercooler will only shorten the time before power is cut back due to the high temps, in itself it is false power.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Wow this is all great info! Not very promising though. I was hoping to have the boost match the new breath-ability of the new exhaust system but its looking based on what Julian is saying, that this is not the case. The tuner I used is ACI Dynamix in Connecticut and he claims to have tuned Exiges, Elises, and an Evora in the past without issue. The transmission shifting issue has gone away and it seems that perhaps the transmission computer had to learn and adjust to the new tune. And the tuner claims he can get the CEL off with some more tuning. My only issue with all of this is the fact that I feel like I've lost torque. I used to be able to slam the pedal from a stopped position and the rear tires would burn out in position, now I can't do even remotely close to that. Not saying I'm looking to be doing burnouts at the red light all the time, but it is an example of the loss of power I feel.

Did they Notice that
Im in a Lotus?
2013 Lotus Evora S IPS
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:12 AM

Unless he has the tunes from Phil at BOE, and I live in CT, he is full of SH!! because I know of no tuners in this neck of the woods that can deal with the ECU. As we all have said, for street you can have it tuned for a BIT more. You will not find it very beneficial for track as heat soak will neutralize any gains. It is a mid 4 second car, you are not going to make it that much faster and will basically just kill the driveability as you are discovering. Your "tuner" sounds like he has already Fu!!ed things up. He should already know the SC is at 90++ % of its potential.

The S is one of the smoothest power delivery vehicles I have had seat time in. I know what I can match down a straight on a track...as do the folks that can't walk me...nothing to do with driver...just straight away power. The car is very much respected. It is not a street racer. Its a Lotus , Take out the 44+lb exhaust, install an 18.4 lb 2bular. Take out the 40+lb battery, install a 3-6lb Li. BOE CAI, Right there 70+lbs =7+hp and better handling. Rotors, lighter wheels, remove +2 or +0 crap in the back...it all adds up. 100lbs = 10HP. That is what each iteration has done...make it lighter.
Julian73 and etaent like this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq

Last edited by brgelise; 08-19-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 PM

There is Evora tuning aside from BOE, just not very prominent in this country. He can certainly be using tuning software/hardware from one of the Euro tuning vendors.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
There is Evora tuning aside from BOE, just not very prominent in this country. He can certainly be using tuning software/hardware from one of the Euro tuning vendors.
There are only two that I know of, only one of which offers 'their' known tune as a package. There are no tune on the fly capabilities advertised anywhere in Europe, including the UK. There is just one tuner who can fit components from oe Lotus tuning stock, which then needs a new tunable aftermarket ecu plus rolling road tuning.

Which other Euro tuning vendors are you thinking of?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss View Post

There are only two that I know of, only one of which offers 'their' known tune as a package. There are no tune on the fly capabilities advertised anywhere in Europe, including the UK. There is just one tuner who can fit components from oe Lotus tuning stock, which then needs a new tunable aftermarket ecu plus rolling road tuning.

Which other Euro tuning vendors are you thinking of?
If you google search for it, you'll find several in the UK/Europe (Clark Turner, Komo-Tec, Quantum, etc). I don't know details of them, but the fact there are several selling them means someone is selling the ability to do tunes. InoKinetic has one as well. Just because they don't necessarily forward on the ability to adjust the maps to the end user doesn't mean they aren't giving the vendors the ability to modify the tunes.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
Komo-Tec is the only other tuner with half decent tun capability. The common European path is the toss the Lotus ECU and go aftermarket, funny that used to be the American car way. Tossing the ECU doesn't help much in the USA when you must pass an OBD2 full level test.

As to the Tunes earlier Evora tunes from Komo-Tec scratched the surface by manipulation read tables that the software uses, such as timing and fuel, they seem to have gotten better extending to cam timing; BOE's consultant using the Fastworks editor has hacked the Lotus security protocol and gained full access to the software, not just data tables. They have licensed a few other companies to market tunes such as MWR, whereby the ECU is actually shipped back to BOE.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:45 PM

Quantum tuning via the OBD port.

Good luck.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:06 AM

I was direct because no search has revealed someone in CT with capability and you would think they would proudly say it was from komotec or licensed from BOE etc to give solid backing to their claims. That was the intent of my statements....i would be interested if any of those where true and it was a street vehicle with the ability to provide 50HP that doesn't disappear with heat soak. On the other hand, that extra 50hp could just be getting brave and going back to WOT 50ft earlier or carrying 1 mph more thru an apex....

Last edited by brgelise; 08-20-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in