Deep in stereo conversion need Lotus Harness Assistance - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By chrislynn5
  • 1 Post By chrislynn5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Deep in stereo conversion need Lotus Harness Assistance

I need some assistance on figuring out the pin out and connections for my new head unit swap.
The lotus harness is a mystery to me.
I have a 2012 Evora NA IPS with tech package, originally the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT but now the Pioneer AVIC-W8500NEX. I started another post but cannot find the lotus harness wiring diagram.
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...8/#post5952354

This is the best I have figured out

Help....
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislynn5 View Post
I need some assistance on figuring out the pin out and connections for my new head unit swap.
The lotus harness is a mystery to me.
I have a 2012 Evora NA IPS with tech package, originally the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT but now the Pioneer AVIC-W8500NEX. I started another post but cannot find the lotus harness wiring diagram.
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...8/#post5952354

This is the best I have figured out

Help....
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f13...in-out-469074/

Sorry I didn't respond to your other post yet. Below is what I found through my research and what I used for my AVIC-W8400NEX (should be the same harness as W8500NEX). What's key is the intended colors for the AVIC-X940BT, which is what is in the picture below, and my link above. The purple, purple/black, green, green/black aren't used by Lotus, so you'll find those areas of the X940BT harness blank. These would be rear speakers.

Use this chart with some masking tape and a marker, go wire by wire on the Lotus harness and write what color it means to the Pioneer standard colors. Then join the written colors on the Lotus harness to the actual colors of the Pioneer W8500NEX harness.
Attached Images

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWulf369 View Post
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f13...in-out-469074/

Sorry I didn't respond to your other post yet. Below is what I found through my research and what I used for my AVIC-W8400NEX (should be the same harness as W8500NEX). What's key is the intended colors for the AVIC-X940BT, which is what is in the picture below, and my link above. The purple, purple/black, green, green/black aren't used by Lotus, so you'll find those areas of the X940BT harness blank. These would be rear speakers.

Use this chart with some masking tape and a marker, go wire by wire on the Lotus harness and write what color it means to the Pioneer standard colors. Then join the written colors on the Lotus harness to the actual colors of the Pioneer W8500NEX harness.
On the Harness for output sounds did you connect the 'mute' wire to anything? Ground/common maybe.

I would have never guessed these colors! Thanx!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Also, I'm assuming the deck needs to be in standard mode and not in 'Hi' mode, is that correct?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Quote:
On the Harness for output sounds did you connect the 'mute' wire to anything? Ground/common maybe.

I would have never guessed these colors! Thanx!
That one lonely yellow wire on this wire harness does not get used. No need to worry about that one.

To your other question, the stereo should be in standard mode, not high.
Attached Images

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

@ShadowWulf369 you ROCK. and kick A$$.

I finished it tonight and it all works! Thanks to everyone that also pitched in! I had to rewire from scratch as there were too many differences but it sounds and looks great!

Again Thanx.

Makes for icing on the cake after spending the last month, pulling it apart (again) repainting all the new pieces (Bumper, A-Panels).
Boy what a journey.

Here's the final pic I took tonight.
Attached Images

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:09 AM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Quote:
I would have never guessed these colors!
I wouldnít have guessed them either! I probably put in 8 or 10 hours trying to figure those colors out just to be sure I didnít fry anything. Since I spent so much time figuring it out, I really wanted to share for anyone else to make their life that much easier!

Iím glad to hear the install turned out great! The car looks good and hopefully now it sounds good. Youíll have to post up your impressions once you use the system for a while.

The one disappointment that I noticed on my AVIC-W8400NEX was the fact the reverse camera doesnít have backup lines. They are missing and cannot be added. I canít find any reason for this online, but apparently everything from 2018 and forward doesnít have these lines. Does the W8500NEX have backup lines? Iím guessing not, but thought Iíd check.

I havenít used my car in a while but Iíll get a good chance this weekend during a long road trip. Iíll see if thereís anything else goofy that I notice.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWulf369 View Post
I wouldnít have guessed them either! I probably put in 8 or 10 hours trying to figure those colors out just to be sure I didnít fry anything. Since I spent so much time figuring it out, I really wanted to share for anyone else to make their life that much easier!

Iím glad to hear the install turned out great! The car looks good and hopefully now it sounds good. Youíll have to post up your impressions once you use the system for a while.

The one disappointment that I noticed on my AVIC-W8400NEX was the fact the reverse camera doesnít have backup lines. They are missing and cannot be added. I canít find any reason for this online, but apparently everything from 2018 and forward doesnít have these lines. Does the W8500NEX have backup lines? Iím guessing not, but thought Iíd check.

I havenít used my car in a while but Iíll get a good chance this weekend during a long road trip. Iíll see if thereís anything else goofy that I notice.
Well on the 8500 I noticed that it has them, they give you in the left corner a graphic that if you touch it then lines are added. Do you see that anywhere on yours? I didn't setup anything for nav so it was a default setting. Now I just need to figure out why my rear camera is facing downwards more. I see the plate now I did add a front camera with my new head unit, I thought it might help with parking?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
My alpine would sometimes have "lines" actually distance cones, other times not. I finally figured out I needed to just touch the screen to toggle between

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Well on the 8500 I noticed that it has them, they give you in the left corner a graphic that if you touch it then lines are added. Do you see that anywhere on yours? I didn't setup anything for nav so it was a default setting. Now I just need to figure out why my rear camera is facing downwards more. I see the plate now I did add a front camera with my new head unit, I thought it might help with parking?
Let us know how the front camera works. I was thinking about adding one. Nothing worse than pulling into a space and scraping the front on the curb.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Here are some head unit pics of the 8500.
So far sounds a lot better.
Cool interface.
Beats the hell out of that small dial volume.
Quick buttons for GPS, etc.
I haven't added a logo and customized it yet but looking forward to that this weekend.
The front plate opens and tilts exposing the CD and SD slots, cool.
Attached Images

Last edited by chrislynn5; 06-26-2019 at 01:19 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByJoveByJingle View Post
Let us know how the front camera works. I was thinking about adding one. Nothing worse than pulling into a space and scraping the front on the curb.
The previous owner had one not fully hooked up so I used it. There is a shelf inside the headunit area to the right towards the glove box (above it) area. That camera unit fits in there nicely with Velcro holding it down.
It was an Alpine front camera, so it had the camera and a device for power and connections (HCE-C115), the new headunit 8500 has a video in for another source so I used that.

So I switch to camera 2 and it's the front
Looks great.
I mounted the camera in the center of the bumper grill area using 3M double sided tape.
ByJoveByJingle likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:49 PM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
That icon in the upper left of the display when youíre backing up isnít on mine. Must be something they added back in on the W8500NEX over my W8400NEX. So far itís the only thing thatís bugged me on mine. Iíve also tried tapping on the display and the lines donít appear. The function doesnít have a toggle check box in the menus like other nav units Pioneer makes. I donít think Iím missing anything, mine just doesnít have it. Oh well. I still get beeps when I get close to stuff and thatís good enough for me.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone need a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT?
I'd sell it cheap and it was a good upgrade for the tech package back in the day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in