Downsides of Evora S compared to NA? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Downsides of Evora S compared to NA?

I'm still trying to research which Evora to buy and was originally thinking a S was the way to go as they are within 10-20% of the NA price and seem to get better reviews. However, I wanted to see if there were any downsides to the S. It seems that the lower gas mileage is one small issue. Is the supercharger more likely to break down and if so require a more complicated repair? I understand the supercharger isn't a Toyota part.

I'm okay with paying the extra money but wanted to understand all of the potential downsides with the supercharged version before buying. I was wondering whether it's better to target my preferred color and newer year or whether I should have the supercharger be the top priority (as 80% of what's for sale are the NA). Thanks for any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:16 PM
MGB

I got a great deal on a low-mileage used NA 2011 Evora in a color I wanted, and the only S options they had available were new and in different colors. I saved a ton of money and I still love my car.

That being said, more power would be nice, especially with a passenger, but ultimately it doesn't make a huge difference for me. The car already goes way faster than is reasonable for public roads, and those extra seconds it takes me to go faster than the speed limit are just a few more seconds where I'm immune from speeding tickets.

Edit: But also, one wouldn't want to get a car if you're going to be held back by the "what if" of spending a bit more and getting the S model. It just depends on how big a deal it is to you personally, in my opinion.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:21 PM
DBG

Iíd drive an NA. Unless youíre planning to track there really isnít that much in it on the road. NA is slightly lighter with a slightly lower centre of gravity

Lotus Evora
Previous: Lotus Sport 111, Lotus Elise 111R

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:14 PM

Nothing worse then driving in an underpowered sports car...Get the S.

Everyone I know with an NA ends up trying to mod there way to more power. I guess that's why the market is mostly NA.

Current Stable:
'15 Evora S Sports Racer
'15 Porsche GT4 Clubsport
'06 Subaru N12
'08 Ducati 848RS
'94 Honda RVF400RR
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:18 PM

I have a 2014 NA. I liked mine cause of the rare color. They all come with a "sport" button that makes the car more aggressive with the throttle. I also use my paddle shifters when I want to be sporty. It's fast enough. When I was looking, an S was around 55K. About 10K more than I wanted to spend.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:06 AM

I went NA due to wanting a car with low miles local. I did feel the car needed more power considering how "flashy" the car is. My girlfriend's Wrangler and mom's Grand Cherokee had more power.

I ended up going with the tvs 1900 from boe. I feel like it worked out as I'd probably mod the S for more power. Kinda like my theory why should I have waited for a 14 with a warranty if I was just going to void it anyway...

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:12 AM

Garage
Ultimately, the only way to decide is to drive both versions. These cars are about how they drive, and about how they make you feel when behind the wheel. Despite it being your favourite colour and looking incredible, a car may be undesirable to you if you arenít happy with how it drives. Iím very happy with my S, and donít think Iíd be as happy with a NA, but Iím a bit of a power nut!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:21 AM

Garage
Wrote this up, discussed back in 2012 from my experience:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...a-fine-121650/

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:31 AM

Garage
They cost more up front and are harder to find, especially if you're picky on color/options like I was. Fuel economy difference is pretty minor and how much do you really care about that in a sports car? I'd recommend driving both if you can, then deciding which is for you.

'14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
'02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
'01 M3 - Imola Red/Black (gone but not forgotten)
'08 RS4 - Imola Yellow/Black (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:32 AM

Get the best deal. If you need more power, you can SC it later or simply tune the NA with very good results. Good news is warranty is a non issue at this point.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:49 AM

I chose a 2011 NA over the S’s that were available at the time. I researched cars for 6-8 months. Here was my reasoning: the S models that I was considering at the time all had the IPS which I didn’t want, colors were not what I was looking for, and most were pretty challenged cosmetically or were tracked. I bought a 2011 NA with all of the goodies that was never tracked, and had a fresh clutch with 30,000 on the clock

I spent over a year correcting the cosmetic issues, changed the shifter (Lotus weak point) and cables, and have brought it as close to factory new as possible with a few personal touches.

I don’t track the car, and rarely wring it out, so I don’t need the power and couldn’t justify the difference. It’s been to the new Lotus dealer here where they commented the car is nearly perfect. The other nice thing is I got such a good deal, I’ve had solid offers to buy it for more than I paid or put into it. She’s not for sale though but it’s nice to know others appreciate what I’ve nearly finished even with 40,000 on her now. I have a few more things I still need/want to do.

It’s still a personal choice and good luck with your decision.
Attached Images

Last edited by Limbdoc; 06-05-2019 at 05:57 AM.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:08 AM

To some of us, patina is perfect...hehe
aterren likes this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:39 AM

Another downside to the S is extra heat in the engine bay and a little blower whine. The blower whine is pretty muted and is a non-issue but the heat in the engine bay is a bit of concern to me. It gets awfully hot back there. I haven't owned mine long enough to know yet but I'm waiting to see what the engine bay temps will be in August. That said I would still buy the S because it's already under powered.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:35 AM

I don't think there are any significant downsides to an "S". It is slightly easier to get to some engine areas w/o the supercharger, but that's about it. An S doesn't cost much more in the pre-owned market, & it has a lot more power.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Numbersix thanks for the info about the heat. I’ll be taking my kids around sometimes in the back seat. Do you think they’d notice it?
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginportlandor View Post
Numbersix thanks for the info about the heat. Iíll be taking my kids around sometimes in the back seat. Do you think theyíd notice it?
I really doubt it. There is a thick layer of sound deadening/insulation on the interior side of the firewall. Not to mention the seat cushions themselves.

'14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
'02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
'01 M3 - Imola Red/Black (gone but not forgotten)
'08 RS4 - Imola Yellow/Black (gone but not forgotten)
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Numbersix thanks for the info about the heat. I’ll be taking my kids around sometimes in the back seat. Do you think they’d notice it?
The interior is well insulated and there are heat shields in the engine bay so it doesn't effect the passenger compartment but I wouldn't transport any ice cream in the trunk. It's more about the long term lifespan of the plastic and rubber parts in the engine bay
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Numbersix thanks for the info about the heat. Iíll be taking my kids around sometimes in the back seat. Do you think theyíd notice it?
Wow, you're actually going to try to fit not one, but two, people back there?

I love my NA Evora, throw a Larini/2bular exhaust and a CAI on it and have a blast. I like my IPS most the time, but still wish it were a double clutch trans. The sport mode shift blips sound awesome through aftermarket exhaust. I don't have any regrets about not buying an "S", the IPS I regret at times, but mostly just because I get bored.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:29 AM

There is no downside to owning an S.
Europa TC likes this.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss View Post
There is no downside to owning an S.
Insurance more expensive? More speeding tickets?

Phil Harrison
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2017 Lotus Evora 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in