Downsides of Evora S compared to NA? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:08 AM

I was looking at it from a financial point when I bought it and was going to get the NA because it was cheaper but then decided to pay more because I didnt want to live with "I should have" and let me tell you...

Iím glad I paid more for the S. I cant tell you how much better the car feels than a NA. Sure, I wish it still had more power but the S has plenty for its size and weight.
I also think this is a personal decision for you to make. What is it that will make you happy and satisfied because you are spending a lot of money and you need to be content with your decision. At the end of the day, you are going to live with it and not anyone else.
I am very very very happy with my decision and drive the hell out of it every single day.
Europa TC likes this.

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Oh and I take my wife and both my kids (9 and 12) in the car on many occasions.

I also take my car on camping trips with my son packing weekend worth of stuff including tent and everything you need to camp for a primitive camping

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM

Wasn't implying anything wrong with the NA. Just no downsides to the S.

Different responses when you drive, even if they look the same. To get a sports car performance from the NA you need to rev it. The S has more torque and will pull from low down. Less gear changes, more time enjoying the ride. Both good cars though.

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Another downside to the S is extra heat in the engine bay and a little blower whine. The blower whine is pretty muted and is a non-issue but the heat in the engine bay is a bit of concern to me. It gets awfully hot back there. I haven't owned mine long enough to know yet but I'm waiting to see what the engine bay temps will be in August. That said I would still buy the S because it's already under powered.
Heat is a NON issue.., I cook mine more than 99% of you ever will and it is going on yr six of track duty with ZERO issues.....neither is underpowered. Anything in the 4's is VERY fast. Where the big HP brakes, you eat them alive....street racing is crazy in the 21st century....yes, I did stupid things when young but .....

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss View Post
Wasn't implying anything wrong with the NA. Just no downsides to the S.

Different responses when you drive, even if they look the same. To get a sports car performance from the NA you need to rev it. The S has more torque and will pull from low down. Less gear changes, more time enjoying the ride. Both good cars though.
It’s all a matter of perspective. To me, enjoying the drive means revving the engine out and having to work to extract performance — to me, that’s driver involvement. Effortless power takes the edge off some of the drama of pushing the engine. Too many people focus on reaching high power levels without considering what they enjoy from the drive. From that perspective, an S model is actually a downgrade. There’s a popular mantra that captures this feeling — it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Fortunately enough, even a “slow” Evora has more than enough power for anything you want to do on public roads.

If high power is the goal, a dual motor Tesla will dust any Lotus.
brgelise and XHILR8N! like this.

2006 Lotus Exige - Chrome Orange
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Lotus Rookie

"Too many people focus on reaching high power levels without considering what they enjoy from the drive. From that perspective, an S model is actually a downgrade."

I find it hard to believe that an S is a downgrade from any perspective that isn't soley based on someone's budget.

IMO, I also like the S vs the NA based on rarity and their kinder depreciation...
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahyeaut View Post
"Too many people focus on reaching high power levels without considering what they enjoy from the drive. From that perspective, an S model is actually a downgrade."

I find it hard to believe that an S is a downgrade from any perspective that isn't soley based on someone's budget.

IMO, I also like the S vs the NA based on rarity and their kinder depreciation...
My post clearly explains that perspective. And itís a perspective I know resonates with others in the Lotus community, Miata community, and other communities who find joy in a sports car experience that doesnít require a huge blast of power. Corvette owners would take a very different view.
brgelise likes this.

2006 Lotus Exige - Chrome Orange
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Heat is a NON issue.., I cook mine more than 99% of you ever will and it is going on yr six of track duty with ZERO issues.....neither is underpowered. Anything in the 4's is VERY fast. Where the big HP brakes, you eat them alive....street racing is crazy in the 21st century....yes, I did stupid things when young but .....
If it's a NON issue then what is this for? https://www.boefab.com/collections/e...a-cooling-tray
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If it's a NON issue then what is this for? https://www.boefab.com/collections/e...a-cooling-tray

To aid engine/trans cooling. Not passenger compartment temps.
To aid engine/trans cooling. Not passenger compartment temps

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Lotus Rookie

So we are all on the same page, and for the OPs sake, I am not sure I am ready to compare the S's added power as a huge blast of power. Yes, it's more power; a soothing and linear shove if you will. But it's not miata vs Corvette territory. By today's high end sports car standards the S is slow car fast and the NA is slow.

As a former miata guy, slow car fast is super fun but it gets old watching soccer moms text on their phone while they walk you from stop lights.

FWIW, I personally believe the miata is the best "slow car fast" sports car ever made. Change my mind!
brgelise and WMBL like this.
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:

FWIW, I personally believe the miata is the best "slow car fast" sports car ever made. Change my mind!
Well I test drove a Miata after I moved back to the US and after owning a 2010 NA and a 2014 S. I was so uninspired by the test drive along with a 2010 Corvette that I went from wanting to spend under $15k to buying a new 2017 400.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
3RD Gen MR2 is one of the best slow car fast cars out there. You get to wring it's neck ALL THE TIME and you're only doing the speed limit

As for the NA/S debacle, I had a N/A car with an intake and full exhaust, it was plenty fun! Any time on anything twisty people had a hard time keeping up. On the straights it was a different story, so I traded it in on an R8, I had all the power, but it didn't fit my tastes. So, traded the R8 on the 400, and I've been happy ever since. Long story short, you can't go wrong, these cars are about the handling!
XHILR8N!, Lckitty and DBG like this.

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:41 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Only what I would consider a NA was a post 2012 with more of the S suspension upgrades and realization that I would mode engine with cams or TVS1900 to gain more power. Besides the NA is not able to offer you the feeling of a linear torque curve nor (with a bit of paint) this view whether out your mirror or looking in from the rear.
Attached Images

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
To get you to part with your money.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
I take my twin 9 year olds back there. They love it but almost don't fit now. Better with one back and one front with the seat all the way fwd. Yes, it gets hot back there and mine is just a N/A.

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
To get you to part with your money.
I guess it's just bad luck when people boil their clutch fluid, not heat related at all somehow.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:09 PM

If I recall, the heat in the cabin comments were connected to the 2010 & 2011 models only. I drove my 2012 S through the desert in California & Arizona last summer, & it was up to 116 degrees. AC still would freeze an Eskimo even in those conditions.

Of course, the S came out [I]after[I] those early models, so perhaps there lies the answer on cabin cooling.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:51 PM

I don't think there is any problem with heat in the cabin. The AC in my '11 S keeps up just fine. The OP asked about differences between the NA and S and I made the comment that the blower makes the engine bay a little hotter than the NA. I was surprised how warm it was in the engine bay after opening the hatch after a drive on a hot day. I don't think the car will self-immolate but it does get hot and it's good to know others have tracked their car without issue.
brgelise likes this.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:46 AM

Garage
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I guess it's just bad luck when people boil their clutch fluid, not heat related at all somehow.
That's why we use GOOD brake fluid.
Julian73 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in