Engine monitoring solutions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RapidLotus
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Markmysite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 29
Engine monitoring solutions

I don’t like that the Evora uses idiot gauges for engine temp warm up. I’ve been looking into doing gauges (but where to mount them that doesn’t look stupid on the dash top), or one of the OBDII plug and play gauges. There are monitor ones and Bluetooth or Wifi ones that work with an app on your phone. The app based one can show and clear engine codes as well.

Kiwi let’s you monitor all kinds of stuff. Fuel efficiency, engine oil and water temps, Has anyone played around with either of these?

PLX Devices Kiwi 3 Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Diagnostic Scan Tool for Android, Apple, Windows Mobile https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016X3L0O2..._Jr5lDbSP8AWN8

Qianbao HUD OBD Car Head Up Display OBD2 Automotive Engine Smart Digital Meter OBD II/EU OBD Interface Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H312LHT..._6z5lDb72R2Y60


Kiwi 3 is also compatible with the following apps:

Kiwi OBD (Apple / Android)
Torque (Android)
OBD Fusion (Apple / Android)
Harry's Lap Timer (Apple / Android)
OBD Auto Doctor (Apple / Android)
OBD Car Doctor (Apple / Android)
DashCommand (Apple / Android)
Carista (Apple / Android)
Shift OBD (Apple)

Only downside I see to the Kiwi or similar OBDII plug in ones is that you can’t have your map program going at the same time on your phone (which I use constantly since I travel the whole state of Florida and up to SC).
Attached Images
     
Markmysite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 459
The obd2 setup won't give anything useful. Engine coolant and battery voltage. You'll need external sensors.

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
John Z is online now  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Markmysite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Z View Post
The obd2 setup won't give anything useful. Engine coolant and battery voltage. You'll need external sensors.
Ugh, so they don’t play nice with Lotus? I figured since it was a Toyota Camry engine they might work. Bummer!
Markmysite is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:33 PM
Registered User
 
RapidLotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 722
Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Z View Post
The obd2 setup won't give anything useful. Engine coolant and battery voltage. You'll need external sensors.
Sorry to disagree but I totally disagree. I use a OBD2 Bluetooth sender in my Elise and have the ability to monitor EVERY measurement sent to the ECU and build custom displays for any of them with Torque Pro. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...orque&hl=en_US for the Android version and visit their website for more info. https://torque-bhp.com/ I run it on my phone or tablet, whichever is handy for the day. You can also export codes, clear them, and download performance logs of your drives. I also moved the table to my steering wheel and can use the same holder for my phone. It all works awesome. PM me if you want more info.
Attached Images
   

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
RapidLotus is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Sorry to disagree but I totally disagree. I use a OBD2 Bluetooth sender in my Elise and have the ability to monitor EVERY measurement sent to the ECU and build custom displays for any of them with Torque Pro. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...orque&hl=en_US for the Android version and visit their website for more info. https://torque-bhp.com/ I run it on my phone or tablet, whichever is handy for the day. You can also export codes, clear them, and download performance logs of your drives. I also moved the table to my steering wheel and can use the same holder for my phone. It all works awesome. PM me if you want more info.
you have oil pressure and temp?

he might have boost if he has a 400. im not saying you won't get anything. i was saying you won't get anything good, (oil temp, pressure, exhaust, boost(if s1 evora) and intake temp

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
John Z is online now  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Registered User
 
RapidLotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 722
Garage
I agree, you can only get measurements that the ECU gets. I have no idea what the different models and years of Evora have available. I wish mine had oil temp and press which are the most important measurements to have other than GPS speed. I do get boost on mine and I use it because mine is supercharged. Other things that are handy are time (from the Android device) and a whole host of 0 - x mph and 1/4 mile times and such. G-forces too.
John Z likes this.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
RapidLotus is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Markmysite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Z View Post
The obd2 setup won't give anything useful. Engine coolant and battery voltage. You'll need external sensors.
Sorry to disagree but I totally disagree. I use a OBD2 Bluetooth sender in my Elise and have the ability to monitor EVERY measurement sent to the ECU and build custom displays for any of them with Torque Pro. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...orque&hl=en_US for the Android version and visit their website for more info. https://torque-bhp.com/ I run it on my phone or tablet, whichever is handy for the day. You can also export codes, clear them, and download performance logs of your drives. I also moved the table to my steering wheel and can use the same holder for my phone. It all works awesome. PM me if you want more info.
You’re getting decent data. But yeah I’m not sure if the Evora 400 has an oil temp sensor. I’m guessing not since there’s just the idiot light. That’s the main thing I’d like to know. Boost would be nice and speed times is a plus
Markmysite is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Registered User
 
RapidLotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 722
Garage
So here is the biggest question! Why on God's Green Earth would Lotus (that we all love and worship) fail to install 2 of the very most important sensors for modern internal combustion engines, namely Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature??? This is a fundamental fail for Lotus for the last 2 generations!!! Yes we can add our own but we should not have to!
Attached Images
 

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
RapidLotus is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:47 PM
Illegal Alien
 
Julian73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Longview, TX
Posts: 4,521
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
So here is the biggest question! Why on God's Green Earth would Lotus (that we all love and worship) fail to install 2 of the very most important sensors for modern internal combustion engines, namely Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature??? This is a fundamental fail for Lotus for the last 2 generations!!! Yes we can add our own but we should not have to!
Because in general OT and OP of modern engines is not too critical unless you have a total oil loss then the ECU will trigger a low pressure indication and probably

AIM devices pick up from ECU RPM, throttle position, Engine torque, Brake on/off, clutch in/out, vehicle speed, front wheel speed, rear wheel spreed, steering angle, steering rate, lat G's, AIT, ECT, each corner tire pressure, instantaneous torque, fuel computation rate, fuel level, handbrake on/off, lights on/off, sport mode on/off, race mode on/ traction control off

The ECU also provides fuel pressure, mass air flow, atmospheric pressure, boost pressure, boost temp (manifold), and manual trans oil temp. AIM does not yet have the sequence codes too pull this info of the data line.

I instrumented my car with a Oil pressure (T'd off pressure switch location) and Oil (pan) temp to a dual SPA Signature series gauge.

Lotus took away the Engine coolant temp gauge but did give us idiot lights, blue light is on until water temp gets to 60 C, while a red indication and chime will come on when temp exceeds 113 C
Attached Images
   

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
Julian73 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Illegal Alien
 
Julian73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Longview, TX
Posts: 4,521
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmysite View Post
Ugh, so they don’t play nice with Lotus? I figured since it was a Toyota Camry engine they might work. Bummer!
It is a Lotus ECU

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
Julian73 is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Circuit of the Americas.
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
Because in general OT and OP of modern engines is not too critical unless you have a total oil loss then the ECU will trigger a low pressure indication and probably

AIM devices pick up from ECU RPM, throttle position, Engine torque, Brake on/off, clutch in/out, vehicle speed, front wheel speed, rear wheel spreed, steering angle, steering rate, lat G's, AIT, ECT, each corner tire pressure, instantaneous torque, fuel computation rate, fuel level, handbrake on/off, lights on/off, sport mode on/off, race mode on/ traction control off

The ECU also provides fuel pressure, mass air flow, atmospheric pressure, boost pressure, boost temp (manifold), and manual trans oil temp. AIM does not yet have the sequence codes too pull this info of the data line.

I instrumented my car with a Oil pressure (T'd off pressure switch location) and Oil (pan) temp to a dual SPA Signature series gauge.

Lotus took away the Engine coolant temp gauge but did give us idiot lights, blue light is on until water temp gets to 60 C, while a red indication and chime will come on when temp exceeds 113 C
The Lotus Evora uses a customized EFI Euro8 ECU. If that's the case, oil temp, oil pressure and a host of other parameters should be available if you use the AIM program option for ECU manufacturer ďEFI_EUROPEĒ - ECU Model ďEuro_8Ē. Could you try and let us know if the other channels work?

ECU_31 E8_OIL_PRESS Oil pressure
ECU_32 E8_FUEL_PRESS Fuel pressure
ECU_46 E8_TH20 Water temperature
ECU_47 E8_TOIL Oil temperature

https://www.efitechnology.it/main_eng.html

https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...o8_101_eng.pdf
Octonion is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:35 PM
Registered User
 
Limbdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 167
I just downloaded the torque OBD APP hoping it would work with my Bluetooth dongle. No luck getting it to connect 😢
Limbdoc is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:23 PM
Registered User
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LI NY
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
So here is the biggest question! Why on God's Green Earth would Lotus (that we all love and worship) fail to install 2 of the very most important sensors for modern internal combustion engines, namely Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature??? This is a fundamental fail for Lotus for the last 2 generations!!! Yes we can add our own but we should not have to!
I couldn't agree more. For a driver focused sports car the instrumentation is really lacking.
NumberSix is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:09 PM
Registered User
 
Limbdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 167
Can’t agree more. I wish there were more gauges. The one thing I hate most on my MY 2011 is the temp gauge (bar graph). I’ll never get used to focusing on that more than anything in the desert climate. I know it fluctuates and everyone says it’s normal, but I think an actual gauge would be better. I was hoping the torque OBD app would work but now I need another solution.
Limbdoc is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Registered User
 
RapidLotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 722
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbdoc View Post
Canít agree more. I wish there were more gauges. The one thing I hate most on my MY 2011 is the temp gauge (bar graph). Iíll never get used to focusing on that more than anything in the desert climate. I know it fluctuates and everyone says itís normal, but I think an actual gauge would be better. I was hoping the torque OBD app would work but now I need another solution.
Which brand and model of OBD2 dongle did you get? I have a Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner from Amazon


that was $10.98 and it connected up perfectly. I want to know what kind you got so that I don't purchase it. I am about to get another OBD2 scanner for another car. I'm thinking of getting a OBDLink 426101 ScanTool MX Bluetooth which is $69 because it supposedly has a faster data rate. Note sure I want to spend the extra money. Anyone have luck with the OBDLink 426101 ScanTool MX Bluetooth?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
RapidLotus is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:19 AM
Registered User
 
Redsled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 181
I got the OBDlink after seeing it recommended here and find it works well along with the app you get with it. What I miss having is being able to read AFR to check how tune is, can at least monitor fuel trims. Also yesterday I was on a rally and drove over 4 hours in temps that hit 104f, coolant never went over 200f, what do others get on coolant?


Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged
Redsled is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:36 AM
Registered User
 
Limbdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbdoc View Post
Can’t agree more. I wish there were more gauges. The one thing I hate most on my MY 2011 is the temp gauge (bar graph). I’ll never get used to focusing on that more than anything in the desert climate. I know it fluctuates and everyone says it’s normal, but I think an actual gauge would be better. I was hoping the torque OBD app would work but now I need another solution.
Which brand and model of OBD2 dongle did you get? I have a Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner from Amazon


that was $10.98 and it connected up perfectly. I want to know what kind you got so that I don't purchase it. I am about to get another OBD2 scanner for another car. I'm thinking of getting a OBDLink 426101 ScanTool MX Bluetooth which is $69 because it supposedly has a faster data rate. Note sure I want to spend the extra money. Anyone have luck with the OBDLink 426101 ScanTool MX Bluetooth?
I bought the Inova Bluetooth OBD scanner for my other vehicles. It’s always worked well. Interestingly, when my CEL light came on, I tried to use it to clear the code and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately it doesn’t pair with the torqueApp. I’m thinking, one is Wi-Fi and the other Bluetooth (Inova). They must work differently.

My thought was to change my head unit to Apple CarPlay, and use the OBD to get a full gauge cluster on the head unit. At this time, I’m thinking I may just have to buy a new dongle that you suggested.

Last edited by Limbdoc; 07-21-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Limbdoc is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Registered User
 
RapidLotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 722
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbdoc View Post
I bought the Inova Bluetooth OBD scanner for my other vehicles. Itís always worked well. Interestingly, when my CEL light came on, I tried to use it to clear the code and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately it doesnít pair with the torqueApp. Iím thinking, one is Wi-Fi and the other Bluetooth (Inova). They must work differently.

My thought was to change my head unit to Apple CarPlay, and use the OBD to get a full gauge cluster on the head unit. At this time, Iím thinking I may just have to buy a new dongle that you suggested.
You may want to step up a little higher than the $10 model. It works perfectly but I think the data rates may be higher off the slightly more expensive units. I cannot find any research to back my assumptions up but that is my thoughts.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
RapidLotus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome