Evora 400 decat pipe - WOW! - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitex View Post
I am still waiting for the parts. Ordered on the 10th and they still haven't shipped. Can never get a hold of anyone at lotus garage over the phone.

I am thinking about just cancelling the order and getting a custom pipe made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I waited several weeks for mine, almost 2 months IIRC. I almost decided to go custom pipe as well, however I didn't think i could find anybody that could do mandrel bent custom piping for the same/lower price as the official Lotus part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:19 AM
MKM

Just brought my 400 in to have the second cat removed. pretty excited

2017 Lotus Evora 400
post #23 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKM View Post
Did you have to modify the decat pipe (A132S0230F) to get it to fit like texevora did? Let us know how it goes.

post #24 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texevora View Post
I waited several weeks for mine, almost 2 months IIRC. I almost decided to go custom pipe as well, however I didn't think i could find anybody that could do mandrel bent custom piping for the same/lower price as the official Lotus part.

That makes sense. I guess I'll just wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 BMW M5, 17 Lotus Evora 400, 18 Lexus LX570
Previous
17 GT350 (red),18 M4,17 R8 V10+,17 M3,17 GT350 (Grey),16 MAC 570S,16 Porsche 911 GTS,15 M5,13 M5,13 SRT Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 Audi S4,10 Mazda RX8,12 Audi A4,10 G37
post #25 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 07:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKM View Post
How did the install go? Did you have to modify the decat pipe to make it fit?
post #26 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 07:14 PM

Keep us posted whether it worked and fit per the diagram previously shown.
post #27 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:27 AM

So, I pulled off my rear diffuser so I could see exactly how the connections worked around the catalyst. The leading edge has a flange that mates up to a similar flange at the end of the exhaust header pipe. These are secured with a V-clamp (that has been loosened in my photo). The other end before the muffler is connected with a slip-on clamp.

It looks like the decat pipe in the diagram (#3) does not have a flange, and even if it did, it would be too short to attach. Even with the wide clamp (#5), the difficulty would be mating the end of the pipe/clamp without a flange like our federal cars have. I'm sure a competent muffler shop could cut off the flange, add some pipe and then either clamp or weld the decat pipe. I was considering this Lotus part if it were something easily done in my garage, but there may be a little more to it.

If anyone does have the Lotus decat pipe and can take photos of it before installation, it might be informative.
Attached Images

SOLD 2006 Elise British Racing Green

2017 Evora Sport 410
post #28 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Thank you for posting that photo. The easiest thing to do might be to pull the cat off and just take it to a muffler shop and have them bend a section of stainless tube in the same length, bend, and ends.
post #29 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 11:59 AM

@texevora Maybe you can comment as to whether your dealer/tech. used for the install had to modify anything or whether it was a straight bolt-on using factory parts?
post #30 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 SML8R View Post
@texevora Maybe you can comment as to whether your dealer/tech. used for the install had to modify anything or whether it was a straight bolt-on using factory parts?
It was Regogo Racing/Sports Car World in Dallas that did mine. The tech who did the install said he welded an extension onto the Lotus pipe (which was too short), then slightly widened the end of the extension so that it would mate to the manifold/downpipe.

Unfortunately i don't have pictures, but i think that was pretty much it. @DerekOfBass works at the same shop, so he may or may not be able to elaborate.
post #31 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:32 PM

Thanks, sounds like it has to be modified for sure.
post #32 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Galactic Hitchhiker

Garage
I work at Sports Car World/Regogo Racing where Tex had his done. The Lotus supplied decat is a simple 90 degree bend with no flanges, and it's too short on the side that goes to the USA downpipes. (so yes.. modifications were necessary).

The exhaust cat is for USA only, and we also get a different downpipe from the headers. I'd guess the non-federal downpipe has a longer extension and no flange on the end.

I think we're going to try to work up an easy bolt-on solution to sell, but I won't have any more info on that for at least another week. Any of you who would be interested, feel free to PM me so we can gauge interest maybe?

Parts Manager @ Sports Car World in Dallas
2014 Evora S 2+2, Racing Green Metallic
1986 Esprit Turbo HCi, Red
(sold) 2005 Elise, Saffron Yellow
post #33 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:40 PM

I was thinking the same thing. You certainly would have first mover advantage! I have to believe it would be easy to manufacture and youd be able to sell a few to say the least. Thanks again for the insight.
post #34 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 05:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekOfBass View Post
I work at Sports Car World/Regogo Racing where Tex had his done. The Lotus supplied decat is a simple 90 degree bend with no flanges, and it's too short on the side that goes to the USA downpipes. (so yes.. modifications were necessary).

The exhaust cat is for USA only, and we also get a different downpipe from the headers. I'd guess the non-federal downpipe has a longer extension and no flange on the end.

I think we're going to try to work up an easy bolt-on solution to sell, but I won't have any more info on that for at least another week. Any of you who would be interested, feel free to PM me so we can gauge interest maybe?
I'd be interested if you offered an easy bolt-on solution.
post #35 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:22 AM
MKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkno View Post
How did the install go? Did you have to modify the decat pipe to make it fit?
So we didnt purchase the OEM part posted by OP, rather we just cut out the cat and installed a straight pipe.

Sound improvement is noticeable but modest. It is slightly louder, particularly under WOT, however not significantly so. Happy I did it, however, it did not produce a significantly different exhaust note.

2017 Lotus Evora 400
post #36 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 04:44 PM

Does anybody know what size the mid pipe outside diameter is?
post #37 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:

@DerekOfBass , just wondering if you made any progress on an easy bolt-on solution to remove the third cat.
post #38 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Galactic Hitchhiker

Garage
@tekkno one method of contact is plenty.. lol! No need to PM me and do mentions in the thread as well.

Like I just messaged him though... sorry for the delay, everyone. Our pipe and exhaust guy is on vacation this week, and I'll try to get him on it when he's back on Monday and email you all when I have some more info.

Parts Manager @ Sports Car World in Dallas
2014 Evora S 2+2, Racing Green Metallic
1986 Esprit Turbo HCi, Red
(sold) 2005 Elise, Saffron Yellow
post #39 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:43 PM

Derek - that just goes to show how much pent-up demand there is for this pipe. Wait until we show up with the torches and pitchforks!
post #40 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
@tekkno one method of contact is plenty.. lol! No need to PM me and do mentions in the thread as well.

Like I just messaged him though... sorry for the delay, everyone. Our pipe and exhaust guy is on vacation this week, and I'll try to get him on it when he's back on Monday and email you all when I have some more info.
Sorry, I had some issues with my account and I wasn't sure if my messages were going through.

Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in