Evora 400 decat pipe - WOW! - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champale View Post
UPDATE: after driving it some more, I am still in love with the sound and have noticed a side benefit of the install - heel and toeing is much smoother now because the engine seems less fluffy and inconsistent. I also have a K&N filter so maybe it is this combination I am not sure but when I blip the gas on downshifts, the engines revs exactly how I wanted it to. Previously, probably half the time it wouldn't bring the revs up the way it should and felt sort of fluffy.
I really need to get mine installed if this is true. The inconsistent heel toe behavior drives me nuts.
GregsRaceParts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 05:01 PM

Daughter wanted me to take her to the bank to make a deposit in our little one-red-light town. She request we go in the Evora since she had only gotten to ride in it one time. I told her I had modified the exhaust with a decat pipe so it may sound different. This was my second time out with the decat pipe installed. The exhaust sounded great as we wound our way 7 miles to the little town. When we got to town, we rolled down the windows to enjoy the nice spring day in central Texas. When we hit main street there are old brick buildings on both sides of the street giving us the "tunnel effect" an OMG we were rattling the windows on every store front including the two-man police station. It was "giggle worthy". Thanks GRP!!!!
post #123 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:35 AM

Just ordered the decat pipe from Greg's. I've had my 400 for 3 days and already put 600 miles on it. This car is so awesome!
lotusquacious likes this.

post #124 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:21 AM

Confirm RSM's post above. Definitely need to expand the muffler a bit, but otherwise pretty easy install. No extra parts or modifications necessary. Sounds AWESOME! Not going to bother shopping for a system or considering straight pipes at this point. Sound improvement is significant in the first half of the rev range (and noticeable in the latter half as well).

For anyone worried about drone, etc., it's still pretty quiet when not in Sport or Race mode. Very civil.
post #125 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm688 View Post

QUICK TIP: Go to AutoZone/Advanced Auto and get a muffler expander tool. They have them in the free tool rental program. Slide it in and crank it open to open up the pipe on the factory muffler to make it easier to get the decat pipe in.

Spencer
Great suggestion! I will have to do that.
post #126 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:35 AM

Have been waiting a month for a decat pipe from Larini, was ordered along with their Club Sport Valved exhaust. Got the exhaust right away and finally gave up on waiting for their decat pipe and figured GRP pipe would work with Larini exhaust. Greg was great a rushing one out to me and got it installed with exhaust this morning. It worked great, tech even said fit was better than previous Larini pipes which like what I have been seen here required a little fiddling to get it connected. Wondering if GRP made some adjustments on this second batch? Also I lifted up the stock exhaust and Larini exhaust and the Larini was much lighter, i would say felt like half the weight. So at only like $1,500 it's a bargain to change for the weight savings along with a much improved sound. For my R8's and Huracan exhaust changes were $6k-$7k. Again thanks for the help on this Greg.

GregsRaceParts likes this.

Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged
post #127 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:55 AM
Elise Guru

Glad to help Scott!
Be sure to post up a sound clip/video! Curious how the Larini sounds on the 400.

Check out GregsRaceParts.com for all of your Elise, Exige and Evora parts needs!
Email:[email protected]
IG: @gregsraceparts
FB: @gregsraceparts
post #128 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsled View Post
... Also I lifted up the stock exhaust and Larini exhaust and the Larini was much lighter, i would say felt like half the weight. So at only like $1,500 it's a bargain to change for the weight savings along with a much improved sound. For my R8's and Huracan exhaust changes were $6k-$7k. Again thanks for the help on this Greg.
Refer to weight thread with link to a google cloud spreadsheet, one page lists weight ranked exhaust systems. As to pricing my 410 has the optional Ti exhaust muffler, I have not taken it off to weigh, however the pricing was proud at $8k as an option.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...XkY/edit#gid=8

also found under How to subform ... Evora Weight Savings

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #129 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:25 AM

Redsled,

How do you like the decat pipe with the Larini system sound-wise? I planned on ordering the Larini, but after the decat pipe I thought it sounded pretty darn nice.

Now Iím wondering if I should get the Larini too!
post #130 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:23 PM

Redsled - would love to hear more about the volume of the decat with the Larini! With just the decat pipe, my 400 is shockingly (beautifully!) loud.
post #131 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Ordered the GRP decat pipe the other day after hearing the exhaust on another owner's car. His 3rd cat was replaced by welding a new pipe to it permanently...it sounded it really really good on the road!!

2017 Evora 400, 2006 R53 MINI Coupe, 2010 135i Convertible, 2017 F-Pace S
post #132 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:50 AM

Just fitted my GRP decat, perfect fit, though i recommend this harbor freight pipe expander to use on the existing exhaust - https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...der-63704.html Best $19 you'll spend.

After installation delighted with the sound & throttle blips on downshift are definitely cleaner.

btw Guy came up to me on the Ferry & asked if the car was as good as it sounds!

Phil Harrison
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2017 Lotus Evora 400
post #133 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helado View Post
Redsled,

How do you like the decat pipe with the Larini system sound-wise? I planned on ordering the Larini, but after the decat pipe I thought it sounded pretty darn nice.

Now Iím wondering if I should get the Larini too!
I'm very happy with it and think it's sounds great. Weather finally getting nice here so will be out for group rides where I will get some videos. Throw in the weight savings and makes it a must mod. Also nice that its a pretty quick and inexpensive install, only took about 2 hours to do exhaust and decat pipe. On my R8's and Huracan install takes a full day since rear near needs to come off

Current:
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
post #134 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:38 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
IF TJ would let me, I'd put one in tomorrow. As it is, I'm waiting for the warranty to expire. How are you guys dealing with the potential, however small it may be, that it might affect the warranty?

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #135 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:58 AM

With all of the cars I have owned over the years, I have never heard of a warranty claim being denied over a part of an exhaust aft of the catalytic converters. This 3rd cat doesn't even have an O2 bung so it's not part of the engine control system.

I guess if Lotus wanted to be jerks about a claim, I would just point out the fact that the rest of the world spec 400s don't have a 3rd cat so how could not running one here cause problems since it isn't tied into anything that monitors or adjusts fueling, timing, etc.
pharriso and lotusquacious like this.
post #136 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:20 AM

They can try to void warranty but thanks to the MagnusonĖMoss Warranty Act they must prove the mod caused the issue. I have never had an issue with any car that I just did exhaust mods on

Current:
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
post #137 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusquacious View Post
How are you guys dealing with the potential, however small it may be, that it might affect the warranty?
With this:

Quote:
I would just point out the fact that the rest of the world spec 400s don't have a 3rd cat so how could not running one here cause problems since it isn't tied into anything that monitors or adjusts fueling, timing, etc.

Phil Harrison
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2017 Lotus Evora 400
post #138 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsled View Post
I'm very happy with it and think it's sounds great. Weather finally getting nice here so will be out for group rides where I will get some videos. Throw in the weight savings and makes it a must mod. Also nice that its a pretty quick and inexpensive install, only took about 2 hours to do exhaust and decat pipe. On my R8's and Huracan install takes a full day since rear near needs to come off
Thanks man. I'm looking forward to seeing the videos once the weather breaks.
post #139 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusquacious View Post
IF TJ would let me, I'd put one in tomorrow. As it is, I'm waiting for the warranty to expire. How are you guys dealing with the potential, however small it may be, that it might affect the warranty?
Ha. When TJ was still at Gator in Indianapolis I brought my old Evora with the decat pipe for him to do extensive warranty work to it and his only comment was "man that Evora sounds great."

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 S PDK
2013 Evora NA IPS Nightfall Blue/Oyster
2015 VW Golf GTI DSG APR Stage 1
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Eurocompulsion Stage 2
post #140 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:36 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
With all of the cars I have owned over the years, I have never heard of a warranty claim being denied over a part of an exhaust aft of the catalytic converters. This 3rd cat doesn't even have an O2 bung so it's not part of the engine control system.

I guess if Lotus wanted to be jerks about a claim, I would just point out the fact that the rest of the world spec 400s don't have a 3rd cat so how could not running one here cause problems since it isn't tied into anything that monitors or adjusts fueling, timing, etc.
Even without feedback it still works as a Cat and cleans exhaust. If you fail a state emissions test they will dense the warranty of that. That said, cat is in place for the Cali emissions and other states that spec that.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in