Evora 400 - Hard getting into 1st gear - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ByJoveByJingle
  • 2 Post By mtfinger22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Evora 400 - Hard getting into 1st gear

Hi Everyone,

Picked up a 2017 Evora 400 (only 750 miles on it), and have a weird issue with first gear.

For example, you are coming up to a stop sign in 3rd gear, as you reach the stop sign I come to a complete stop, and try to shift from 3rd to 1st, but it won't go into gear. I have also tried doing this while at a very slow speed and same exact problem.

It's like it's locked out. It won't even start into the gate for 1st. It's not grinding or anything, just won't move forward.

If I move the shifter down into 2nd, then back up to 1st, it goes in real smooth.

Took it to the dealer this morning under warranty, and they are saying "that's normal". They are investigating more as I told them that I have never seen this issue reported on various web sites, etc.

I don't know anyone in my area that has a 400, so I'm not able to try a different car to confirm if this is "normal" or not.

Have any Evora 400 owners seen this? Is this just a "unique feature" of the 400s?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:25 PM

1st gear

have not had a problem - goes into 1st OK while moving very slow like pulling into the garage

the car is still new - 1200 miles

SOLD-2005 Elise Starlight Black, hardtop, touring pack (36K+miles). SOLD 2012 Evora IPS 2+0 Starlight Black Larini Sport Valved (40K+miles). 2018 Evora 400 Starlight Black 2+2, purchased June 2018. 2012 Elantra, 2005 Astro Van.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:52 PM

This happens intermittently on my car. Sometimes I have to shift into second to easily get it to slip into first from a stop. It doesn’t happen enough to be particularly annoying. I also almost always have to shift into a forward gear in order to shift into reverse smoothly. There was a thread discussing this issue over on the British forums started by a new 400 owner asking about various peculiarities.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}

Last edited by ByJoveByJingle; 07-26-2019 at 07:43 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information!

It does it EVERY time for me. Again, it's not the normal "sometimes resists going into gear" that you get on most cars. This is everytime, and it's different. It's like the gear is locked out. I have even tried pushing a bit hard (not super hard) to see if it was the standard "gears not meshing", but even with good force, it won't move.

Suspecting the reverse lockout mechanism is mis-aligned and by putting it into 2nd, it gets things re-aligned correctly.

I guess I'll have to tell my wife "Sorry, Honey. I need to go for more drives to figure this out". We all know that this will take several long mountain or canyon drives to figure this out, right??

I'll report back if I figure out anything.

Thanks!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:04 PM

Granted I have a S1, I had the same issue then swapped cables and everything was fine. So maybe it's just a small adjustment?

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:15 PM

They still have not fixed the clutch master cylinder issue???

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen White
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:32 AM
glb

Try pumping the clutch pedal a few times first. Let us know if this improves the situation. Trying to narrow down suspects.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:41 AM

Garage
2017 Evora 400 with 2600 miles. I can slide into 1st at low speeds. Sometimes I have to slide down in 2nd and then back into 1st. Reverse gear likes a warm-up too, but going into 1st or second prior to going into reverse. I do find it a little irritating and will mention it to the dealer when I handle the recall. I have tried depressing the clutch 3 or 4 times when this happens with no result.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (manual, black)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:04 PM

Mine did this on my 400 when I first got it. Either I'd have to shift to 2nd first, then to 1st, or when shifting into 1st initially the tranny would clunk slightly and the car would move forward slightly even with the clutch still depressed.

After about 2000 miles, the problem gradually went away, and now it shifts perfectly normally.

I'd give it a few thousand miles and see if it gets better.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:47 AM

Double clutch it.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:45 AM

Itís hard to double clutch when the car is already stopped and in neutral. Based on two threads on two different sites Iím pretty sure everybody has a theory about what the issue is, but nobody really knows. Fortunately for me the problem isnít impactful enough to even bother me.
Europa TC likes this.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:11 AM

I get this occasionally when coming out of Reverse, it feels like the engagement point for 1st is closer to 3rd than normal. When it won't go in I go back to neutral and go a bit right of where I usually shift for 1st and it slips right in.

Annoying, but once I learned the trick it never slows me down.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texevora View Post
Mine did this on my 400 when I first got it. Either I'd have to shift to 2nd first, then to 1st, or when shifting into 1st initially the tranny would clunk slightly and the car would move forward slightly even with the clutch still depressed.

After about 2000 miles, the problem gradually went away, and now it shifts perfectly normally.

I'd give it a few thousand miles and see if it gets better.
That was my experience as well. I've had this symptom on a number of cars (non-Lotus) and also found it an issue in some when going into reverse. I got used to the idea that I needed to go from second to first when at a stop and it became habit. At some point I noticed my 400 was not balking going into (first) gear and I abandoned the habit. This occurred long enough ago for me not to remember how long it took me to gain complete trust, but trust it I do.

It could be a cable adjustment (others here might be better able to diagnose that than I) or it just could be the parts need some use to mate properly. In my case, it was the later. At this point I consider the shifting behavior of my car to be nigh on perfect. In the "sticky era" I also found a quick blip in neutral as clutch was depressed eased the transition to first gear. Now I don't do that either!

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:15 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Try pumping the clutch pedal a few times first. Let us know if this improves the situation. Trying to narrow down suspects.
Have you tried this simple test yet???

How old is brake fluid? Is that full?

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:02 AM
scv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusquacious View Post
That was my experience as well. I've had this symptom on a number of cars (non-Lotus) and also found it an issue in some when going into reverse. I got used to the idea that I needed to go from second to first when at a stop and it became habit. At some point I noticed my 400 was not balking going into (first) gear and I abandoned the habit. This occurred long enough ago for me not to remember how long it took me to gain complete trust, but trust it I do.

It could be a cable adjustment (others here might be better able to diagnose that than I) or it just could be the parts need some use to mate properly. In my case, it was the later. At this point I consider the shifting behavior of my car to be nigh on perfect. In the "sticky era" I also found a quick blip in neutral as clutch was depressed eased the transition to first gear. Now I don't do that either!
Also my experience,,,,,now with total of ~5000 miles, symptom gone within past few thousand............

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Great to read that it appears to be a common issue that seems to resolve after a good break-in period. I am at about 1600 miles and still having the issue. I tend to have to pump the clutch and or rev it a few times in neutral for it to go in first. I will try going into second then first as well.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

FIXED!!!!

I went to the dealer again today, and explained that if I pull up the reverse lockout collar, it goes into 1st just fine. They pulled apart the console around the shifter and adjusted the block that controls the reverse lockout and behold MY CAR SHIFTS LIKE A DREAM!!

I took the longer way home and did a bit of "not wife approved" driving, and going into first is fantastic! It also now shifts even smoother in all the other gears. It's really nice to drive now.
GatorMS_Sales and Europa TC like this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:30 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Excellent! These cars are renowned for their enjoyable shifting feel. Glad yours is meeting the standard!

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in