LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Lotus Evora (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/)
-   -   Evora 400 Issues Thread (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/evora-400-issues-thread-406329/)

craigyirush 04-20-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer (Post 5377721)
Lotus of West Covina is the largest seller of Lotus's in the USA.
Their Lotus Service is done by a Lotus technician in their Nissan agency's service area.
A Lexus partnership, for Sales and Service, would be a nice arrangement.

I agree, it's about who the tech is and whether the dealer is committed to the marque (which Covina obviously is). Their first tech, Aidan, was the mechanic on the Exige which raced in PWC. Their current tech, Dave, also wrenches in the Ferrari Challenge series. Both have worked on my car and I've been more than pleased with their work.

iDuc 04-20-2017 09:24 AM

I plan on posting a broader opinion on this but I agree with everyone about Lotus service problem. There are plenty of dealerships to sell cars but not enough service locations. If lotus Usa would consider two simple changes it would make a world of difference. 1) consider a central online concierge which you could contact with service woes. That way complaints could be better documented and tracked. 2) allow independent service centers to perform warranty work. The indy places likely have more experience and volume than the dealership in terms of repairs it would make turnaround quicker, limit guesswork and save money for all parties.

iDuc 04-20-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDuc (Post 5350873)
Great idea. I'm brining my 400 to boardwalk Lotus next week. It has 7600 miles. As you know it was one of the demo 400s so the problems I have may be due to its hard life.

Air bag light stays on

Seat bolsters untucking on both front seats

Rattle in the front dash when hitting bumps

Squeaking noise in rear interior

Wipers don't sweep when washer depressed unless headlights are on

Suspension squeaks occasionally.

My trunk did have the same release problem but had seemed to fix itself. However with the car locked, if I release the trunk the alarms too.

Also initially the steering creaked at low speed that seems to also have fixed itself

However I will use this visit to document all the issues.

Update on my issues:
Airbag light reset

Seats fixed/retucked

Squeezing noise was all in front dash area.

Dash was went over and sound/foam tape reapplied to joint areas in contact with body/chassis have quieted noise

Wiper problem fixed

Suspension squeak fixed with lube to roll bar bushings.

However one worrisome issue not fixed is I have developed difficulty shifting into reverse. Adjusting shifter did not address problem. Dealer has kicked is up to Lotus to determine if opening/replacing tranny is next.

In my mind as long as it is documented and driveable it's fine. If or when it breaks it will be fixed.

Picking car back up this weekend!

cfg_77 04-20-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDuc (Post 5378353)
Update on my issues:

Wiper problem fixed

Did they replace the Wiper Motor? I brought my car to Los Gatos Luxury Cars to have my Wiper fix because it does not MOVE....
I am still waiting for them to call me back...
Also will have them replace my Clutch Cylinder too...

did they lend you a loaner?

iDuc 04-20-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenoyz (Post 5378369)
Quote:

Update on my issues:

Wiper problem fixed

Did they replace the Wiper Motor? I brought my car to Los Gatos Luxury Cars to have my Wiper fix because it does not MOVE....
I am still waiting for them to call me back...
Also will have them replace my Clutch Cylinder too...

did they lend you a loaner?

My wiper issue was that it wouldn't sweep when washers were depressed. It otherwise worked fine and the fix seemed to be software.

As for loaner, I argued until I got one. I basically said it behooves your dealer which has loaners for all other brands to have a loaner for lotus service when requested. They put me in a Camry Hertz rental.

scv 04-21-2017 04:19 AM

reverse lockout

Quote:

Update on my issues:
Airbag light reset

Seats fixed/retucked

Dash was went over and sound/foam tape reapplied to joint areas in contact with body/chassis have quieted noise

Wiper problem fixed

However one worrisome issue not fixed is I have developed difficulty shifting into reverse. Adjusting shifter did not address problem. Dealer has kicked is up to Lotus to determine if opening/replacing tranny is next.

In my mind as long as it is documented and driveable it's fine. If or when it breaks it will be fixed.

Just a thought: on my 2012 S car had difficulty getting into reverse- I found that by "unscrewing" the shift knob 1 to 2 turns from being fully seated this was fixed. I believe it may allow the lockout to be lifted higher allowing unimpeded movement of the lever into reverse. Again, just a thought, but very easy to try...........I'll note, I changed to leather knob to the Lotus metal one without changing the reverse lockout portion of the shifter.

iDuc 04-21-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scv (Post 5379377)
Quote:

Update on my issues:
Airbag light reset

Seats fixed/retucked

Wiper problem fixed

Just a thought: on my 2012 S car had difficulty getting into reverse- I found that by "unscrewing" the shift knob 1 to 2 turns from being fully seated this was fixed. I believe it may allow the lockout to be lifted higher allowing unimpeded movement of the lever into reverse. Again, just a thought, but very easy to try...........I'll note, I changed to leather knob to the Lotus metal one without changing the reverse lockout portion of the shifter.

It is something I can try. However the 400 mechanism and knob are different. Instead of a threaded knob there is a separate lock nut for the knob which screws horizontally into the shifter rod, so not sure it would work.

scv 04-22-2017 05:29 AM

FYI: the metal knob i installed has a horizontal set screw on the back of the knob that screws into the shift rod stopping the knob from turning. The knob itself screws onto the shift rod and can be seated fully or somewhat less as I did-perhaps the 400 is the same..........?

Julian73 06-28-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseMensch (Post 5376393)
The biggest problem I have with my Evora 400 is that it only has 286 HP. And its a 2011. And its not supercharged. Man I can only imagine how much more fun this car would be with 400 hp...

BOE can get you to 330 at the wheels on a NA engine with intake, exhaust, tune and stock internals other then Cams.

brgelise 06-28-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseMensch (Post 5376393)
The biggest problem I have with my Evora 400 is that it only has 286 HP. And its a 2011. And its not supercharged. Man I can only imagine how much more fun this car would be with 400 hp...

That's because its not an Evora 400! Its a 2011 Lotus Evora NA (base model). Its still a sub 5 second car which last I checked easily puts it in the top 10% of vehicles sold, probably closer to top 5%.

BoseMensch 06-28-2017 07:32 AM

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Evora... I just am imagining how much more fun it would be with 400 HP is all. :)

KCZ 06-28-2017 01:01 PM

All these problems with boot latches, door latches, dash squeaks, airbag lights, etc. sound exactly the same as first gen Evoras. At least Lotus is consistent.

DamianLynch 06-28-2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCZ (Post 5464978)
All these problems with boot latches, door latches, dash squeaks, airbag lights, etc. sound exactly the same as first gen Evoras. At least Lotus is consistent.

That is just what I was thinking as well. This is disappointing in a second gen car. I have the seat bolster untucking issue on my Recaro's. Ironic that it is also happening to the Sparco's. On mine I have to remember to retuck every other time I use the car or it gets to the point where I have to take the whole seat out and use a spudger to push it back in.

Julian73 06-28-2017 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCZ (Post 5464978)

much of that stuff is the same part numbers

Julian73 06-28-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseMensch (Post 5464330)
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Evora... I just am imagining how much more fun it would be with 400 HP is all. :)

The only car Ive ever owned that I was able to increase power by 24% and not feel that I have stepped outside of the capabilities of the stock suspension and brakes.

TXBRIT 07-06-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseMensch (Post 5464330)

You would be correct. Having moved from a 2010 NA Evora to the 400 I can attest to the BIG improvement...loving it

Just realized I need to update my avatar picture

philstan 07-09-2017 08:28 PM

I just purchased a silver Evora 400 and love driving it. I have almost 800 miles on it (after 2 weeks). However, today after a day of driving and a refuel, the engine is limiting me to 4000 RPM in any and every setting - normal, sport or race.

Anyone else have this issue?

By the way I also have the trunk release issue

GatorMS_Sales 08-31-2017 04:12 AM

Morning all,

There was a TSB posted some time ago regarding the 'trunk issue' which has been brought up multiple times. We were under the same impression until we read how to properly open it per the TSB. Since any customers or owners who believe they have a problem quickly realize no problem is present if done per the communication. All one needs to do is press once, wait .75 seconds and press again. Works like a charm 99% of the time on every car with every owner since. Most (like we did) press too fast or repeatedly thinking it will engage and does not. Press once, wait, press again. If any adjustment is needed, it's quick and easy to adjust the latching pin to ensure pressure is released when 'popped. In regards to the door button just like the start button, press and hold and should work every time.

Hope this info helps a few owners!

Have a great day!

-Brian

lotusquacious 08-31-2017 08:20 AM

^ I learned this on my own. It's a bit quirky as a feature but it consistently opens the trunk so once you know the trick, it's an issue. Press the bottom button, wait a second, press it again and it opens every time for me. With the interior release it's press and hold. The key fob should be labeled. Figuring out which button to push when is a learning process.

My car lost it's supercharger at 1700 miles due to a seal failure. I posted about this elsewhere so no need to repeat \in detail except to say the repair was completed in five working days. The car runs perfectly now, no sign of oil anywhere. I still have a poor dashboard fit (waiting for parts from Lotus). I had a BT connectivity issue but that was easily remedied. Turned out the mic was plugged into the wrong port on the head unit. Other than that, I can't think of anything else at this time. Car has 2100 miles and I drive it as much as I can. It's very tight and rattle free as it should be with only 2200 miles on the clock.

Champale 07-21-2018 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bump . . . I bought my new 2017 Evora 400 2 months ago and have about 1800 miles on it now. Noticed this tear in the passenger seat leather earlier today. What the heck??