Evora 400 Issues Thread - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
That's an odd flaw although issues with upholstery seem to be routine. A more typical problem is that the seat covers pull out of their channels. That split in the seat looks like it was started with a knife or razor. That's an easy damage to repair in place in the event the original dealer won't warranty it.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 03:00 PM

Truck release troubles - twice to the dealer
Pass seat rattles when empty
Rattle from drivers side pillar
Right pedal connected to fuel gauge.......

2017 Evora 400 - Drop Dead RED
30,000 Km - 18,600 mi.
post #43 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 07:59 PM

Just took delivery of my 400. Thanks for this threadógot the trunk mechanism worked out thanks to you guys. The key fob is a bit finicky with the double click timing, but the button inside pops it with one push. Just one test drive, but everything seems sorted so far. No rattles, solid as a rock. And the gear shift is revelatory after owning a 2010 and a 2014 S. Just absolutely night and day difference.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}

post #44 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 02:25 PM

lotusquacious - that is a really good point and I went and looked at it more closely. That picture makes it look like a cleaner tear than it really is. As far as I can tell, it looks like it tore on the backside (where it is tucked in) and then it spread.

Also, I am positive that no one has been near it with any sharp objects! It is something that must have recently manifested itself because I hadn't seen it and the guy who detailed it a couple of weeks ago didn't see it then, either. I do take passengers in it so maybe someone getting in or out caused it to burst.

It is encouraging that you think it will be a simple repair as 1) closest Lotus dealer is 90 miles away and 2) I have never had any upholstery work done on any of my cars. I think I will get some local estimates and then just eat the cost.
post #45 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:23 PM

First niggle at the gas station. Filled up and tried to close the gas cap cover . . . no dice, no positive locking action. A quick search of the forum provides no real answers, just questions about how to open a stuck latch. One person suggested that you need to push on the panel by the hinge side rather than the latch side. I’ll try that once I get my butt off the couch. But really Lotus why do you care so little about the latches on your cars?

Edit: Go put to the car and the gas door panel is secure. Release it with the button and it flies open with 400 specific vigor. Close the door and I feel positive locking action. Do it twice more with the same result. I don’t know man? {shrugs shoulders}

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

Last edited by ByJoveByJingle; 07-22-2018 at 03:30 PM.
post #46 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champale View Post

It is encouraging that you think it will be a simple repair as 1) closest Lotus dealer is 90 miles away and 2) I have never had any upholstery work done on any of my cars. I think I will get some local estimates and then just eat the cost.
Not hard to fix, you don't need a dealer. Any leather repairer or good upholstery repair shop can do it or you can try repairing it yourself. Google leather repair in your area and you'll find a number of shops specializing in automotive and home upholstery repair. There are also a number of You Tube tutorials on the process. A tear like yours doesn't require a lot of skill to fix, just some patience and a few easily sourced products. Either way it shouldn't be expensive.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #47 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByJoveByJingle View Post
First niggle at the gas station. Filled up and tried to close the gas cap cover . . . no dice, no positive locking action. A quick search of the forum provides no real answers, just questions about how to open a stuck latch. One person suggested that you need to push on the panel by the hinge side rather than the latch side. Iíll try that once I get my butt off the couch. But really Lotus why do you care so little about the latches on your cars?

Edit: Go put to the car and the gas door panel is secure. Release it with the button and it flies open with 400 specific vigor. Close the door and I feel positive locking action. Do it twice more with the same result. I donít know man? {shrugs shoulders}
I can't say that you have the same issue I did, but the plastic tether that holds the gas cap to the body frequently ends up right under the hinge mechanism, and when you press down you think it's latching, but it pops up again. When you go to close the lid, check to be sure the plastic tether isn't right under the hinge.
post #48 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 AM

The red on my 400 Badge has started to chip/flake off. Is this a common issue?
post #49 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I can't say that you have the same issue I did, but the plastic tether that holds the gas cap to the body frequently ends up right under the hinge mechanism, and when you press down you think it's latching, but it pops up again. When you go to close the lid, check to be sure the plastic tether isn't right under the hinge.
I have found this same issue with the Fuel Cap Teather getting caught in the Latch mechanism.
I am now careful to wrap the Teather around the perimeter of the Cap, away from the Latch.
post #50 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I read about that in the thread about the the panel getting stuck. But at the gas station I tried everything I could think of including rotating the gas cap in various directions. Iím pretty sure the tether wasnít obstructing anything. It was just that when you pushed the panel there was no catch of any kind. It either just sat in the closed position (but clearly not latched) or it popped back up slightly.

I was trying to figure out the catch mechanism and couldnít see or feel anything that would hold the latch on the panel. Itís almost like itís a magnetic catch or something. And somehow at the gas station it wasnít activated.

post #51 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapoosh1 View Post
The red on my 400 Badge has started to chip/flake off. Is this a common issue?
I think this was a very common issue. To the point that on later build cars they just switched to a sticker badging instead of glued on letters.

post #52 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I read about that in the thread about the the panel getting stuck. But at the gas station I tried everything I could think of including rotating the gas cap in various directions. Iím pretty sure the tether wasnít obstructing anything. It was just that when you pushed the panel there was no catch of any kind. It either just sat in the closed position (but clearly not latched) or it popped back up slightly.

I was trying to figure out the catch mechanism and couldnít see or feel anything that would hold the latch on the panel. Itís almost like itís a magnetic catch or something. And somehow at the gas station it wasnít activated.
The fuel door is held shut with a solenoid actuated pin that fits into a hole in the fuel door mounting arm. This is why you have to push on the mounting arm side to latch the door closed. If you open the fuel door, you can depress the little pin and see if it pops back out.

It is worth noting where this pin is and how it works, since if your fuel door gets stuck in the closed position, this is the same pin you will try to locate and (blindly) depress out of the mounting arm hole to release the fuel door. To do so, you have to remove the right rear wheel liner and place a small probe through a small hole in the solenoid housing assembly (adjacent to the pin) to push the pin out of the fuel door mounting arm.
Attached Images

post #53 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:

See this picName:  gascap.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  78.2 KB
post #54 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:32 AM

Using Dylan's photo (which shows a different angle), you can see where the small emergency access hole in the solenoid housing assembly is in order to push the pin out of the fuel door mounting arm.
Attached Images

post #55 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I think this was a very common issue. To the point that on later build cars they just switched to a sticker badging instead of glued on letters.

Oh that's interesting. I've emailed my service adviser with a picture of it. Although I'd prefer the badge to a sticker.

Thanks for the info!
post #56 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 chrome orange View Post
The fuel door is held shut with a solenoid actuated pin that fits into a hole in the fuel door mounting arm. This is why you have to push on the mounting arm side to latch the door closed. If you open the fuel door, you can depress the little pin and see if it pops back out.

It is worth noting where this pin is and how it works, since if your fuel door gets stuck in the closed position, this is the same pin you will try to locate and (blindly) depress out of the mounting arm hole to release the fuel door. To do so, you have to remove the right rear wheel liner and place a small probe through a small hole in the solenoid housing assembly (adjacent to the pin) to push the pin out of the fuel door mounting arm.
Aha! That makes sense now. Thanks for making the effort to show me (us). So what Iím thinking is for some reason the pin wasnít engaging.

Thanks @Dylan too!

post #57 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:17 PM

Two non-niggles, but questions:

1) The a/c doesnít exactly pump out frigid cold air. My 2014 S a/c did fine in Dubai, so I expected better of the a/c than Iím getting. But I canít imagine that thereís anything mechanically wrong. Anybody else with a 400 in 100+ temp environment? Howís your a/c?

2) I was given a 400 as a loaner car in Dubai and remember being blown away by the exhaust sounds. Iím not sure if Iím imagining things but I feel like the Federal 400 I have is more subdued. Are they still shipping them to the US with that 3rd cat?

post #58 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:31 PM

ByJoveByJingle - I've been driving mine almost every day in the 100-105 degree heat these last few days (including being stuck in a massive traffic jam for over 1 hour yesterday) and the AC has been absolutely fantastic. And my car is black, too!

As for the exhaust note, in Race mode it sounds pretty rowdy, although with the windows up the noise is not nearly as outrageous sounding. Windows down, though, and it will wake the dead!
ByJoveByJingle likes this.
post #59 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
ByJoveByJingle - I've been driving mine almost every day in the 100-105 degree heat these last few days (including being stuck in a massive traffic jam for over 1 hour yesterday) and the AC has been absolutely fantastic. And my car is black, too!

As for the exhaust note, in Race mode it sounds pretty rowdy, although with the windows up the noise is not nearly as outrageous sounding. Windows down, though, and it will wake the dead!
I agree. I'm in Atlanta and is pretty hot here as well. My AC has been amazing. The AC actually works better than any of our other cars and after a bit I fine myself turning it down to one of the lowest fan speeds.

I also agree on the exhaust. Sport and race really make the car come alive. In a tunnel, I almost feel bad for anyone around me. Almost.
1swift1 and ByJoveByJingle like this.

2006 CO Elise for sale
post #60 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Mine is definitely not blowing frigid air. Itís passable and once the sun goes down itís fine. I guess Iíll have it looked at when I go in for the break-in service.

I always drive in Sport mode. Itís pretty hard to compare when the cars arenít side by side, but I think the exhaust note on the UAE car was more robust. I know for sure that was the case with stock S cars. I thought that they had discontinued the 3rd cat for US cars, but now Iím wondering if thatís not true.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in