Evora 400 Issues Thread - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:26 AM

Garage
Thanks... are these easily accessible? Do you have a service manual pic by chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtag114 View Post
Thanks... are these easily accessible? Do you have a service manual pic by chance?
I don't, but they have them in the "how-to" section.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f41...ls-etc-313889/

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #103 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:08 PM

I want to share a few issues on the 400 I know about. Hopefully it can be helpful.

1. At 5k miles. Clicking, knocking, or rubbing noise from front end of car with wheels turned and rolling. (It got louder over weeks and I can hear it well at slow speed). Service advisor told me that the lug nuts were probably worn and Lotus issued new ones.

I swapped the front and rear lug nuts and it's quiet now! I will get the new Lotus or GRP ones. The front lug nuts were noticeably more worn.

2. Driver side window rattle - realigned by dealer at first service

3. My buddy had the small coolant housing tank leak issue while on the track which put the car in limp mode and check engine light came on.

4. His battery also died during another track day...It just died mid day while parked. New battery was the solution.

2017 Evora 400, 2006 R53 MINI Coupe, 2010 135i Convertible, 2017 F-Pace S

post #104 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:12 PM

Had a clicking noise coming from the front end. The sound appears when going around slow corners as in car park. Started out with the left at full turn. Then the right side began to click at full to 3/4 turn. Took the car to the Dealer and presto chango, a new steering rack. Warranted. Thank you Lotus Vancouver!

2017 Evora 400 - Drop Dead RED
38,000 Km - 23,600 mi.
post #105 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:24 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
To underscore, the lug bolt issue is good to be aware of depending on one's build date. Mine stretched, and were replaced. Known issue and something to inquire about if the car is an early build.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #106 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:47 AM

Anyone have an update on the seat untuck issue? Mine went back to the dealer to get fixed and it barely lasted 2 weeks. Now my steering wheel is starting to peel apparently as well
Attached Images

post #107 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomby_U View Post
Anyone have an update on the seat untuck issue? Mine went back to the dealer to get fixed and it barely lasted 2 weeks. Now my steering wheel is starting to peel apparently as well
Did they add the clips? Mine were repaired 9 months/4,000 miles ago & I have had zero issues since. They may have just retucked....

Phil Harrison
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2017 Lotus Evora 400
post #108 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharriso View Post

Did they add the clips? Mine were repaired 9 months/4,000 miles ago & I have had zero issues since. They may have just retucked....
The revised clips solved the issue for me as well. No issues since they were replaced.
post #109 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:57 PM

The dealer claims they did but I don't see any Ö what do they look like?

Quote:
post #110 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
The dealer claims they did but I don't see any Ö what do they look like?
Here is a picture showing the clips during correction:
Attached Images

Phil Harrison
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2017 Lotus Evora 400
post #111 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
The dealer claims they did but I don't see any … what do they look like?
Thanks for this... just about o ask my dealer for this... I think I have two months warranty left and just reread this whole thread looking for suspect issues.
post #112 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
The dealer claims they did but I don't see any … what do they look like?
Did they do both seat? Or just the untucked one?
post #113 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:20 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Do them both. Insist on getting them both corrected since this is not an imagined issue and it will afflict any seat that hasn't been updated. If the proper clips are not installed, the cover will eventually come undone unless you never, ever carry a passenger.

As mentioned, once updated, the issue evaporates into thin air.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #114 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastLotus View Post
Had a clicking noise coming from the front end. The sound appears when going around slow corners as in car park. Started out with the left at full turn. Then the right side began to click at full to 3/4 turn. Took the car to the Dealer and presto chango, a new steering rack. Warranted. Thank you Lotus Vancouver!
After 2 days the clicking returned. I suggested the wheel bolts should be replaced(as per KingkongLotus and lotusquacious). Brought the car to the Dealer, the mechanic said the clicking was different to than the original clicking. Wheel bolt replaced. In summery, two problems occurred at the same time, The steering rack problem and the wheel bolt issue. So far I am Click Free(sung to Born Free)........! The replacement bolt are several mm longer with a taller shoulder. I will post pic if I can find it.

2017 Evora 400 - Drop Dead RED
38,000 Km - 23,600 mi.
post #115 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Formerly EliseIn2005

My carís issues

Love the car. Bought it used with 989 miles for killer discount, so not complaining about any of the following except the last one. Still under warranty. Looking for thoughts/advice re:brakes.
1. When I offloaded the car from transport, there was a yellow wrench on dash, couldnít register it until the dealership updated ECU. Delayed registration. Kind of a hassle.
2. Seats untucked. New clips at dealership, now completely fixed. Happy.
3. Driverís seat is not solid, in that it rocks a millimeter or two diagonally, especially when I stop quickly. Dealership says mounting is worn and nothing can be done. Doesnít inspire confidence during spirited driving. Iím probably going to ask them to try again vs replace seat (unlikely). Not happy.
4. Trunk latch adjusted multiple times. Works ok now but before adjustment, was fiddly. The front access panel can also be a bit tricky to close. No biggie.
5. Front rotors warped, making the brakes shudder. Around 4000 miles on the odo at the time. Maybe the prior owner tracked it (doubtful since original tires have plenty of tread). I havenít tracked the car and I do not push the car very hard on the streets (mildly aggressive on country roads). Quoted $4k plus to replace fronts (expensive floating dual rotors) at dealership. Chose to keep pads since lots of meat on them, and purchased UltraDisks from Inokinetic for $1250/pr. Installed and first 1000 miles were fine, but now the shudder is returning. Completely frustrated and looking for advice. What is causing this? Aggressive stops(I think this kind of car should be able to handle mildly aggressive street driving)? I torqued the wheel bolt and not all of them were identical at the beginning (loosened then re torqued), wondering if that is the reason. Calipers not working properly? Pads bad to begin with? Or am I starting to feel the rear rotors?

This is a driverís car, and having smooth brakes is part of that experience.

Thoughts?

2017 Evora 400, MT, Racing Green, Alcantara Pack, 3rd cat delete
2014 Evora S 2+2, MT, Sienna Brown, Cognac, Larini ClubSport Valved Exhaust and Testpipe, GT4 wing (SOLD)
2011 1 Series M Coupe, Valencia Orange
2005 Elise, Laser Blue, Katana SC (sold)
1972 BMW 2002tii, Riviera Blue, M42 engine swap
post #116 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:18 PM

Pads may have developed 'hot' spots and glazed with the previous rotors. If so you now have hard and soft areas on the pad causing a 'flutter'.

I have the same discs (rotors) as you and have used them on track. I have not had any issues so far. I did bed the discs in with the old pads for around 50 miles, then put in new pads and bedded them in.
post #117 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:34 AM
scv

Consider measuring runout on rotors with dial gauge; may rule out warpage (confirm rotors are properly mounted before checking runout)........?

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #118 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:47 AM

I don't guess that shudder could be wheel bearings either going bad or loose?
brightoncorgi likes this.
post #119 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:27 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Quote:
I'll expand on this issue for any early build '17 owners that haven't already taken the cure. The seats as OEM supplied were just tucked around a matching lip/channel in the frame bottom and were only held by a sewn reinforced mating lip at the edge of the seat cover. Tucking it back in is almost possible without removing the seat if the cover has only come undone on the outside edge. The margins of the cover are then fitted around the lip and channel in the frame (parts terminology suspect, concept accurate). Without additional attachment, this will eventually (as in days or even one drive) come undone (again in my case) if just reinstalled as delivered. Left undone on one side, it will ultimately come undone around the entire perimeter. Then, if further un-repaired, this may also deform the foam in the bolsters, maybe dependent on your avoir du pois.

Once a guy puts in the clips properly, that seems to be the end of it. The cover will now fit as it should and will also look tighter and better tailored.

I like the seats in the 400 a lot as respects comfort but they are not the most refined. A lot of attention seems to have been aimed at creating a pleasant, enduring leather aroma (that's a 10 folks!) ) and comfort (I'm very comfortable, and I am not little). Elegance is not the forte though. All that said, I wouldn't want to change much as respects the driving position except maybe to be a little lower.

I'm not sure about the long term durability of the leather 's finish although I like its hand, texture....and aroma. If I still have the car in ten years and I still care enough, I'd consider an upholstery upgrade on the existing frame if the leather doesn't hold up.
Julian73 likes this.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in