Evora 400 seat coming untucked - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Evora 400 seat coming untucked

I just picked up an Evora 400 used with about 3800 miles on it. I noticed that the driver seat bottom is not "tucked" into the metal channel anymore, to the point that I can lift the entire seat bottom up...Makes it easy to get things that may fall under the seat I suppose. I checked the passenger side, and it was not like that. After a week of owning it and a passenger only twice, the passenger seat has started to come untucked. I was able to put that one back in the channel without removing the seat, but the driver seat will have to be removed to tuck it back in.

Is anyone else having the issue on the 400? I've seen a post about S1 Evoras doing it, but I'm wondering if there is a permanent fix anyone has done for it. I know I can get it tucked back in under warranty at the dealer, but it will probably happen again, even with me being extremely easy on the seats.

2006 CO Elise for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Formerly EliseIn2005

Itís happening to my driverís seat also. Really donít want to take it to the closest dealer in SF for warranty work, but since my subwoofer is also out of commission, looks like Iím making the 1.5 hour drive...also my tpms are intermittently not working.

2017 Evora 400, MT, Racing Green, Alcantara Pack, 3rd cat delete
2014 Evora S 2+2, MT, Sienna Brown, Cognac, Larini ClubSport Valved Exhaust and Testpipe, GT4 wing (SOLD)
2011 1 Series M Coupe, Valencia Orange
2005 Elise, Laser Blue, Katana SC (sold)
1972 BMW 2002tii, Riviera Blue, M42 engine swap
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:37 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Common issue, one might even say it's a problem to be expected. I had mine "re-tucked" and it was good for a few days before it came undone again. It's the only unresolved problem I have at the moment. Car is going in tomorrow for another crack at it. My local dealer (Carlock) has been working on a permanent repair since it seems the clips used to hold the leather in the shell fail routinely....or something to that effect.

My seat seems to fail on the "inside" (closest to console) so you don't see it and you don't really feel it when sitting in it either, but it's there if you look for it.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

My passenger seat was slight on both sides. I was able to push it back up no problem, but my driver's seat is undone on both sides and front, so you could literally lift up the seat bottom and see under the seat. I was just hoping someone had come up with a permanent solution before I take the seat out and work on one myself.

2006 CO Elise for sale
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:38 PM

Garage
Wow! I might have expected this if the seats were still Recaros but they are now using Sparcos. Did Lotus engineers ask for the seats to untuck themselves when they commissioned the new Sparcos?

2016 Ruter #31 Bus, (not Ardent) Red
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1971 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:56 PM

Garage
They probably wanted feature-parity with the Recaros lol

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 05:42 AM

Garage
Can you bring it by a local upholstery shop? They'll have more experience at than the dealer will.

Past & Present:
2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport
2012 Aston Martin Rapide
2011 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Manual
2011 Lotus Evora - Aspen White
2005 Range Rover HSE
2007 Jaguar XK Coupe
2004 Jaguar XJ350 Vanden Plas
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

This is comical. This is the extent to which my seat comes untucked. I took the seat out and tucked it in 2 weeks ago. This is about 500 miles since then (I've been driving it alot). I don't rub against the bolster and I'm not a large person at all, but it has come untucked again. The first picture is how it looks and the second picture is how much I can actually lift the bottom cushion.

True Lotus fashion. Almost charming in a way lol.
Attached Images

2006 CO Elise for sale
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:10 PM

Garage
Has anyone figured out a permanent fix or at least a fix that lasts a while? The dealer fixed it twice and the seat still came untucked within a short time. The dealer says Lotus doesn't have a permanent fix.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkno View Post
Has anyone figured out a permanent fix or at least a fix that lasts a while? The dealer fixed it twice and the seat still came untucked within a short time. The dealer says Lotus doesn't have a permanent fix.
Love to know this! My driver's seat outer side is completely untucked...

Dealer or Hot Glue gun?

Phil Harrison
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2017 Lotus Evora 400
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 03:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharriso View Post
Love to know this! My driver's seat outer side is completely untucked...

Dealer or Hot Glue gun?
I suggesting gluing it to my service manager, but he advised against it in case the seat ever needed to be serviced. I'm considering gluing it myself unless anyone else has any other suggestions.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkno View Post
I suggesting gluing it to my service manager, but he advised against it in case the seat ever needed to be serviced. I'm considering gluing it myself unless anyone else has any other suggestions.
Well according to the service manual (Section VG page 37) the lower seat cushion cannot be dis-assembled due to the side airbags (see attached.) Elsewhere it talks about replacing the whole seat if any part needs service.

Going to give my dealer a chance to fix it before the hot glue gun comes out...
Attached Images

Phil Harrison
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2017 Lotus Evora 400
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:14 AM

Tekkno you suggested a great solution: "Glue it to your service manager"!
That hot glue should motivate him to find a permanent solution!
James33 and tekkno like this.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:57 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
If there is no solution, itís likely every US bound Evora will eventually suffer this minor but still unappealing problem.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twaszak! View Post
They have come up with a solution at Lotus. I repaired one at the beginning of this week with their newer fix. I drove the car, sat in the seat, hopped my butt up and down in it, did everything I could to get it to come un-tucked and it held.

They are working on getting a full supply of the "securing clips" needed to fix this concern to the USA, but within a month, your dealer should be able to get the clips and instructions and do it themselves.

@lotusquacious - I have these securing clips on order for your car. they will be here late October/early November.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you all have any questions. [email protected]

T.J.
Thanks for the update! Hopefully my dealer gets some of those securing clips and it is a permanent solution.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:50 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twaszak! View Post
They have come up with a solution at Lotus. I repaired one at the beginning of this week with their newer fix. I drove the car, sat in the seat, hopped my butt up and down in it, did everything I could to get it to come un-tucked and it held.

They are working on getting a full supply of the "securing clips" needed to fix this concern to the USA, but within a month, your dealer should be able to get the clips and instructions and do it themselves.

@lotusquacious - I have these securing clips on order for your car. they will be here late October/early November.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you all have any questions. [email protected]

T.J.
Love you, man! Weíre having fun touring Europe, get home on the 18th. Know what I miss most about Nashville? My car!
Julian73 and Twaszak! like this.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 02:16 AM

Talking

My seats were repaired with new clips this week; the seat fol handles were also repaired with the service kits.

I now have 2 tucked folding seats

Phil Harrison
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2017 Lotus Evora 400
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 11:50 AM

Actually, it sounds like Sparco is the responsible party here and Lotus needs to get Sparco involved in all the repairs. Let's not rip on the Lotus dealers here.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:17 PM

My driver's seat is untucking pretty bad. I am going to drop off the car at dealer next week to coincide with my vacation so hope they take care of it then. I am also seeing some accelerated wear in my alcantara steering wheel.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Actually, it sounds like Sparco is the responsible party here and Lotus needs to get Sparco involved in all the repairs. Let's not rip on the Lotus dealers here.
I do not see anyone ripping on the dealer.....

Phil Harrison
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2017 Lotus Evora 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in