Evora 400 Starting Issue - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By troyus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Evora 400 Starting Issue

I wanted to see if this is unique to me. With engine cold (sat overnight), there's about a 50% chance my Evora 400 will not start on the initial crank of the starter. The second time it always fires right up. It's a manual, garaged, low miles... Anyone?
PCM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:49 PM
PCM

Yup. For me, it is about 90% of the time if the car has been sitting overnight or longer. I have almost 7k miles on my 2017 E400. I have tried turning the key, waiting about 20 seconds while I put on my seatbelt, etc., and then starting, but even that trick doesnít work much of the time. My thought was that the fuel pump needed time to get fuel to the engine. But like you, it always starts right up on the second try. It also always starts right up later on that same day. Maybe something to do with fuel delivery in cold engines? Or, maybe the trolls in the engine drink too much and need not one, but two swift kicks to get out of bed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:26 PM

Havenít experienced this at all. Seems like something isnít right. Definitely not .

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:03 PM

I've had this happen occassionally in my NA Evora. I press the security button and wait to hear the fuel pump prime before I crank it. It's not an issue but a minor annoyance. Buf if some one knows better, please chime in.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:58 AM

start

it seems if I do not hit the starter button just right, nothing happens

otherwise it fires up immediately

SOLD-2005 Elise Starlight Black, hardtop, touring pack (36K+miles). SOLD 2012 Evora IPS 2+0 Starlight Black Larini Sport Valved (40K+miles). 2018 Evora 400 Starlight Black 2+2, purchased June 2018. 2012 Elantra, 2005 Astro Van.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:13 AM

In my case after that happening I started to charge the battery more often an now starts immediately.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:36 AM

My 2017 E400 generally starts on first try. When it has not done so, it was usually when I just briefly hit the starter button but did not hold it for a second or two. From what I can see, the start button seems to actually, directly control the starter - meaning that if you hold it down longer, the starter will actually crank longer. In my old M3, the button was effectively there to kick off the start up process and whether I held it for one second or three, it didn't matter since the ECU seemed to control the starter directly. I would never crank any starter excessively but basically if I just touch the starter button or my finger slips after hitting it, it might not turn over but as long as I hold it for a second or a little more it seems to fire up no problem. I also wait a few seconds after turning key for the ignition immobilizer process before depressing the start button.

As others have said, maybe a battery issue as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in