7Likes
  • 2 Post By West-of-Hethel
  • 1 Post By TedR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Evora 400 Steering wheel at an angle?

So I finally got my Evora 400 delivered, and temp tag and registration in, took it for a spin and it was fun , I don't remember there being anything off or if the steering wheel was off by any amount but today I was driving it out and I noticed the steering wheel was at an angle when driving straight, like not a small angle but a huge angle. I feel like I would have noticed this before but maybe I didn't? Is it possible for it to tilt like this after being straight?is there a way to adjust it straight?
Thanks
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:14 PM

Just like with any other car, that's an indicator that your Evora needs a professional alignment. There's no shortcut fix, unfortunately.

Not a bad idea to have a proper alignment done right out of the box anyway, even if it's a new car. FYI I usually have my Evora aligned every time I change the rear tires, or about every 10k miles; you'll find that with a car a sensitive as the Lotus that regular alignments (at a GOOD shop) make a noticeable difference.

Not to be presumptuous, but I'll anticipate your next questions: no, it's probably not something you did; yes, it might have happened during the shipping process; and no, there's really not much chance you'll be compensated for the alignment by the shipper or the selling dealer... sorry.

On the plus side, if you think the car is fun now, you'll be really impressed after the alignment's corrected.
Aedo and me73 like this.

Last edited by West-of-Hethel; 08-13-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:21 PM

Mine has been off a bit too, but nowhere near that. Yes I agree an alignment is in order.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post
Just like with any other car, that's an indicator that your Evora needs a professional alignment. There's no shortcut fix, unfortunatly.
I was under the impression that if I need to pull it one way to keep it going straight that the wheels needed alignment.

In my case right now, it's like the wheel wants to be tilted extreme to the left, like that's it's natural "straight" position, almost like the wheel was installed on at an angle when the car was sitting still perfectly straight.
It's acts and responds exactly like I would expect it to except the wheel naturally sits way off to the left.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:13 PM

Garage
The end of the steering column is a hexagonal shape IIRC, and I suppose if someone had removed the wheel at some point, they could have misaligned it by one "flat". But I think you would have noticed it before?

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:06 AM

Just taking wheel off wouldnt do that, I took mine off and it onkly goes back on one way. Unless someone took that mounting plate off? So I would take that off and see if it's off or shifted

Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:18 AM
scv

It looks like the wheel is ~approx 15-20 degrees off. If had been removed/refitted for some reason, could have been done poorly, and alignment not a fault; checking previous maintenance would be helpful. If wheel was/is installed correctly than alignment a possibility, but with this much deviation, would have to consider damage/bending etc of steering components to account for this I would think- this is a massive defect for only "misalignment".
Also, I would think straightline tracking of car would be ok if alignment essentially in specs-would expect it to "pull" one side or the other if alignment this far out of range.......just some thoughts, others more knowledgeable ??

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:34 AM

If its a new car, definitely a warranty issue if you are showing little to no mileage. If its used, the former owner is "hiding" something from you because a pothole doesn't do that!! That is more like a bent arm etc.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 AM

If new and from a dealer, take it straight back and have it fixed.

If used and delivered by a transport company, they probably overtightened a strap and bent something. Take it to a good shop to have the steering rams and suspension looked over for anything bent. If this is the case, file a claim with the transport company and your insurance. Good luck.

I think it is unlikely (but is possible) the steering hub was removed and refitted in the wrong orientation. Look at the picture above, behind the loose steering wheel. The steering shaft is visible in the center of the hub. There is paint across the shaft and hub that line up from the factory. You could remove your wheel and look for the paint and see if it lines up or not.
Julian73 likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:09 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
The end of the steering column is a hexagonal shape IIRC, and I suppose if someone had removed the wheel at some point, they could have misaligned it by one "flat". But I think you would have noticed it before?
. Misaligning 1 flat would be 60 degs off, that is not minor

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfgmovies View Post
I was under the impression that if I need to pull it one way to keep it going straight that the wheels needed alignment.
There are several factors involved in alignment. A careful shop will attend to all of them.

You have no reason to believe me; I'm just some stranger on the internet. But this stranger is asking you to please, please take your lovely new Evora to a good alignment shop. You'll be glad you did.

Asking for advice on the web is a fraught path. Take your car to a pro and they will steer you right (so to speak).
Aedo and PCM like this.

Last edited by West-of-Hethel; 08-14-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsled View Post
Just taking wheel off wouldnt do that, I took mine off and it onkly goes back on one way. Unless someone took that mounting plate off? So I would take that off and see if it's off or shifted
If you take the center wheel bolt out, instead of the 6 smaller bolts on the wheel cage, you'll see the hexagonal shape at the end of the column. That mounting plate has a matching hexagonal hole, but it could be possible to misalign it when reinstalling.

But be mindful if you do remove that mounting plate; the column can collapse if you push too hard on the end of the shaft without the spacer tool Lotus recommends that you utilize.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:51 AM

It is possible that everything is OK. I've had this problem on the Elise and prior cars. Whoever did the alignment was not careful to center the steering wheel when they were doing the alignment.

So if nothing is fundamentally wrong, a realignment will fix it.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:52 AM

Garage
My car was delivered (from across the country) with my steering wheel off center. The local dealer wanted $400 for an alignment, but I called the Lotus customer support line and they took care of it for free. Do you have a service center near by? Call the customer help line and let them know.

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I have a Lotus Service center about an hour away from where I live fortunately. I have contacted them but I'm still waiting for them to reply, was planning on taking it over to them anyway since one of the tire sensors isn't working. Might have to call them.

I bought the car used, with 1400 miles, basing on the purchase date I think it still has a year left on the warranty, I assume it carries over to the next owner?

It drives and steers like it's perfectly fine, but with the steering wheel at an angle, so even if there's something other than the wheel misaligned, it's safe to drive it to the service center correct? I have some other things I have to get checked out like the check engine light has codes reading about the O2 sensor warnings, and then the usual traction control light being on, which I hear is an easy fix.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfgmovies View Post
I bought the car used, with 1400 miles, basing on the purchase date I think it still has a year left on the warranty, I assume it carries over to the next owner?
Yes, but suspension adjustments are almost certainly not going to be covered. Don't get your hopes up.

Quote:
It drives and steers like it's perfectly fine, but with the steering wheel at an angle, so even if there's something other than the wheel misaligned, it's safe to drive it to the service center correct?
Probably.

Quote:
I have some other things I have to get checked out like the check engine light has codes reading about the O2 sensor warnings, and then the usual traction control light being on, which I hear is an easy fix.
Deleting codes is "easy", but actually fixing the problem that caused the code may not be. Your tech will need to diagnose the issue. Expect to be charged for diagnostic time as well as whatever fix is required.

You are taking the "hard way" to Lotus ownership: buying a car long distance, sight-unseen, with several undiagnosed problems. You're going to need to spend some money to get the car to a good starting point. Don't be afraid to spend that money: it's what you need to do to get a good, reliable, safe car that will provide you years of driving enjoyment.

And since I didn't say it before: welcome! Once you get your Evora on its feet, you'll find it's the best car you've ever owned.

Aedo and PCM like this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post

Deleting codes is "easy", but actually fixing the problem that caused the code may not be. Your tech will need to diagnose the issue. Expect to be charged for diagnostic time as well as whatever fix is required.

You are taking the "hard way" to Lotus ownership: buying a car long distance, sight-unseen, with several undiagnosed problems. You're going to need to spend some money to get the car to a good starting point. Don't be afraid to spend that money: it's what you need to do to get a good, reliable, safe car that will provide you years of driving enjoyment.

And since I didn't say it before: welcome! Once you get your Evora on its feet, you'll find it's the best car you've ever owned.

I mean I hear fixing the traction control is a fairly easy fix and is usually related to adjusting the brake sensor

But I think it could also be triggered by the steering angle too, guess I'll find out whenever the dealer gets back to me. I gave them a call but had to leave them a voice message and haven't heard back yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in