• 1 Post By ShadowWulf369
  • 1 Post By cain-it
  • 1 Post By Julian73

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Evora IPS with BOE TEK Solenoid Issue

UPDATE (10/5/19): Issue Resolved - ***When the TEK kit was installed, the transmission oil filter was replaced. This replacement oil filter was defective and caused aeration. This aeration caused all issues described below. The defective filter was replaced and the transmission was refilled and all issues were resolved.***

Basic car info: 2013 Evora N/A IPS with about 35,000 miles. I purchased the BOE Transmission Enhancement Kit (TEK) and had it installed at the end of July 2019 by Glenview Luxury Imports. For the most part, all I've gotten to do is drive on highways to and from a few car shows as well as back from the dealership. I've put about 1,500 miles on the transmission since the kit was installed.

Has anyone else installed this kit? I'm curious if anyone else had a change in sound from the transmission. Even at idle, the transmission makes almost a bit of a hissing noise that was only present after the install. Just a bit of a curiosity on that one.

Anyway, car was shifting fine right after the install but I was easy on it as the car was in learning mode for the shift points. The car has sit for the past month, only going on short trips once every two weeks. Two weeks ago, the transmission stumbled a bit on 2nd going into 3rd right out of the garage, so everything was cold. The car sorted itself without any lights or further trouble. The car has been sitting in the garage on the battery tender since.

Last night, not so lucky. The car stumbled form 2nd to 3rd again and got a check engine light as well as the transmission malfunction indicator light. I read the codes, and they are as follows:

P0700 (Appears to be a generic transmission fault code)
P0761 Shift Solenoid "C" Performance or Stuck Off
P1613 Forced Mechanical Limp Home Position

I took the car for a short drive after reading the codes and the car seemed okay until I got to a stop sign and it was stuck in 3rd and wouldn't shift to any gear, according to the dash. I could hear the car shift to park when I hit P, but the dash didn't recognize it. When shifting back to drive, the car had no power, so I put it back in P and shut it off. When I restarted, it seemed okay and the dash registered the shifting from park to drive, as well as R and N, then back to D. I was able to shift up to 5th on the road I was on but it would not shift into 6th automatically or with the paddle shifter. I came to a stop sign and I was stuck in 5th. Put the car in park and shut down. Restarted, and then had no more issues with performance. The car would automatically shift from 1st through 6th and back down, and I was able to use the paddles to shift through all gears. My CEL is still on as well as the MIL.

Big questions:
1. If the car doesn't have any issues for a certain number of restarts, will the MIL turn off or does it need to be reset by a reader or dealer?
2. I have to store my car in a week and a half in a garage that's 600 miles away (don't ask why). If the transmission is shifting okay after potentially another rough cold start, is it okay to drive with the warning lights or will it hurt the transmission in any way?
3. Has anyone else installed the BOE TEK on their Evora and had any better or worse luck? No body seems to talk about this kit.

FYI: Nearest dealer is 360 miles away (Minneapolis, MN), nearest good dealer is 710 miles away (Glenview, IL).

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue

Last edited by ShadowWulf369; 10-05-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added solution to the top of the description.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:43 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Sorry, I don't speak Automatic, PO700 is generic in the sense that it states MIL triggered due to Transmission control having an impact on emissions, i.e. could be as simple as computer says the car is not in correct gear for this speed and load. The other two codes are not in the Lotus Service Notes.

Is the good dealer at 710 miles in similar direction as the storage unit at 600 miles??

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**

Last edited by Julian73; 09-24-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:45 PM
Plug Whisperer

Hi there,

Several kits installed in the US and over seas. Our shop has certainly done it the most. lol. ONe of my personal cars has it as well as local one... I mention the local two as we've had the opportunity to take a look at the install after daily driven miles, etc... A couple over seas are regularly tracked and at least 1 I know of in the states is tracked often... The others I don't have use data, but have had a lot of positive feedback.

Nevertheless, while it's obvious that there are not hundreds in circulation due to the low number of evoras in general, there are plenty to know that the kit is proven and sound.

So with that said, you either have an installation issue or the fluid level wasn't correct... or both...

The trouble codes don't really help a lot at this stage. You need to pull it apart and go through the the installation step by step, look for places the installation was done incorrectly and so on...

The fact that the trans was loud after the install sounds like the fluid level was wrong from the on-set or you had an internal leak. The issue may have manifested into other issues, or maybe not.

Hope that helps,

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWulf369 View Post
Basic car info: 2013 Evora N/A IPS with about 35,000 miles. I purchased the BOE Transmission Enhancement Kit (TEK) and had it installed at the end of July 2019 by Glenview Luxury Imports. For the most part, all I've gotten to do is drive on highways to and from a few car shows as well as back from the dealership. I've put about 1,500 miles on the transmission since the kit was installed.

Has anyone else installed this kit? I'm curious if anyone else had a change in sound from the transmission. Even at idle, the transmission makes almost a bit of a hissing noise that was only present after the install. Just a bit of a curiosity on that one.

Anyway, car was shifting fine right after the install but I was easy on it as the car was in learning mode for the shift points. The car has sit for the past month, only going on short trips once every two weeks. Two weeks ago, the transmission stumbled a bit on 2nd going into 3rd right out of the garage, so everything was cold. The car sorted itself without any lights or further trouble. The car has been sitting in the garage on the battery tender since.

Last night, not so lucky. The car stumbled form 2nd to 3rd again and got a check engine light as well as the transmission malfunction indicator light. I read the codes, and they are as follows:

P0700 (Appears to be a generic transmission fault code)
P0761 Shift Solenoid "C" Performance or Stuck Off
P1613 Forced Mechanical Limp Home Position

I took the car for a short drive after reading the codes and the car seemed okay until I got to a stop sign and it was stuck in 3rd and wouldn't shift to any gear, according to the dash. I could hear the car shift to park when I hit P, but the dash didn't recognize it. When shifting back to drive, the car had no power, so I put it back in P and shut it off. When I restarted, it seemed okay and the dash registered the shifting from park to drive, as well as R and N, then back to D. I was able to shift up to 5th on the road I was on but it would not shift into 6th automatically or with the paddle shifter. I came to a stop sign and I was stuck in 5th. Put the car in park and shut down. Restarted, and then had no more issues with performance. The car would automatically shift from 1st through 6th and back down, and I was able to use the paddles to shift through all gears. My CEL is still on as well as the MIL.

Big questions:
1. If the car doesn't have any issues for a certain number of restarts, will the MIL turn off or does it need to be reset by a reader or dealer?
2. I have to store my car in a week and a half in a garage that's 600 miles away (don't ask why). If the transmission is shifting okay after potentially another rough cold start, is it okay to drive with the warning lights or will it hurt the transmission in any way?
3. Has anyone else installed the BOE TEK on their Evora and had any better or worse luck? No body seems to talk about this kit.

FYI: Nearest dealer is 360 miles away (Minneapolis, MN), nearest good dealer is 710 miles away (Glenview, IL).
ShadowWulf369 likes this.

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:41 AM

Can anyone other owners comment on this kit? Seems like people bought it and then keep quite about it's performance..

Current Stable:
'15 Evora S Sports Racer
'15 Porsche GT4 Clubsport
'06 Subaru N12
'08 Ducati 848RS
'94 Honda RVF400RR
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:26 AM

There was a (French ?) Exige V6 IPS owner who bought this kit on The Lotus Forums ... you could always contact him for his feedback

Arabian Elises R US
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
Sorry, I don't speak Automatic, PO700 is generic in the sense that it states MIL triggered due to Transmission control having an impact on emissions, i.e. could be as simple as computer says the car is not in correct gear for this speed and load. The other two codes are not in the Lotus Service Notes.

Is the good dealer at 710 miles in similar direction as the storage unit at 600 miles??
Storage will occur in Green Bay, WI, and is moving in the right direction from Warroad, MN, which is where I am right now. From Green Bay, Glenview Luxury Imports is about 190 miles south. Glenview is where I had the kit installed.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Hi there,

Several kits installed in the US and over seas. Our shop has certainly done it the most. lol. ONe of my personal cars has it as well as local one... I mention the local two as we've had the opportunity to take a look at the install after daily driven miles, etc... A couple over seas are regularly tracked and at least 1 I know of in the states is tracked often... The others I don't have use data, but have had a lot of positive feedback.

Nevertheless, while it's obvious that there are not hundreds in circulation due to the low number of evoras in general, there are plenty to know that the kit is proven and sound.

So with that said, you either have an installation issue or the fluid level wasn't correct... or both...

The trouble codes don't really help a lot at this stage. You need to pull it apart and go through the the installation step by step, look for places the installation was done incorrectly and so on...

The fact that the trans was loud after the install sounds like the fluid level was wrong from the on-set or you had an internal leak. The issue may have manifested into other issues, or maybe not.

Hope that helps,

Phil
I don't know exactly how the install went, as I paid to have it installed. Because I live in an apartment with a small garage, I can't even change my own oil. I don't have access to a lift or even the knowledge set required to pull a transmission apart. I'm going to be relying on a dealer or shop at this point.

My thought right now is that I need to get the car back to Green Bay, where it will be stored for the next 7 months. I'll have time to set funds aside to have it sent somewhere to have it looked at. If it's a possibility, I might even see if I can get the car down to BOE to have it diagnosed. I have the box of original parts that were removed after the kit and even there, I don't know what I'm looking at. Long story short, I'll be needing help.

Does anyone know if the "C" solenoid corresponds to one of the solenoids that was replaced in the kit? From the instructions that came with the TEK, it looks like solenoid 2 and 4 were replaced, so the engine code is "C", and there's a possibility of A, B, C, and D. From that, I'd almost guess the solenoid that's being flaky isn't one of the new ones. But I'm not sure. Thoughts?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 06:27 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Storage will occur in Green Bay, WI, and is moving in the right direction from Warroad, MN, which is where I am right now. From Green Bay, Glenview Luxury Imports is about 190 miles south. Glenview is where I had the kit installed.

So I would get the car down to Glenview then get it back to the storage after. I can see you are trying to beat the snow, but you will have already gotten to car moved way south. Or am I missing something about the deadline to get car into storage?

Last edited by Julian73; 10-05-2019 at 09:25 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
So I would get the car down to Glenview that get it back to the storage after. I can see you are trying to beat the snow, but you will have already gotten to car moved way south. Or am I missing something about the deadline to get car into storage?
Iíve already paid to have the car stored for seven months, starting on 10/5. My thought was get the car in storage and deal with the issue in the spring. With how cold itís getting in Warroad already, the car wonít be able to be out beyond next week, even if it were running fine. Being so far from Glenview, I just donít know that I have enough vacation banked at the moment to be driving it so far, then waiting around for it to be repaired. All repairs would happen during the week, so that means I wouldnít be at work. My current plan before the issue was only take one vacation day for travel to Green Bay (where family is).

Iím not sure, I just donít want to deal with the issue at the moment knowing all Iíd get to do is store the vehicle immediately and not test the fix. Iíll admit that Iím a bit overwhelmed at the moment and this coming out of left field has me wondering what to do. Iíd rather store it for now and worry about it in seven months. Iíll probably talk with Glenview Luxury Imports and talk about my options.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Update on the progress of my car. I took the time off of work to have the car looked at before winter storage. Got the car down to Glenview and they got back to me today. Turns out the transmission filter was defective and was aerating the oil, which was causing the sound. The aerated oil also was causing the solenoids to appear (to the computer) as though they were sticking. The filter was replaced with a new non defective one and the noise is gone.

The car was able to be driven all the way down to the dealership and was honestly shifting fine the whole way. All the codes even turned off after one of my fuel stops, so I donít really have any fear that the kit or the install was at fault. I donít even think any solenoids are performing poorly, the system just wasnít liking the aerated transmission oil.

Glenview is going to verify the fluid level is still correct in the morning, but then Iíll have my car back by tomorrow. So a big shout out to Glenview Luxury Imports for performing the initial install and then helping me diagnose the defective filter issue! Iím excited to get the car back tomorrow, and itís too bad I have to store it the next day. Luckily, sheíll be good to go next spring when I reunite with her after the long slumber.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Update on the progress of my car. I took the time off of work to have the car looked at before winter storage. Got the car down to Glenview and they got back to me today. Turns out the transmission filter was defective and was aerating the oil, which was causing the sound. The aerated oil also was causing the solenoids to appear (to the computer) as though they were sticking. The filter was replaced with a new non defective one and the noise is gone.

The car was able to be driven all the way down to the dealership and was honestly shifting fine the whole way. All the codes even turned off after one of my fuel stops, so I don’t really have any fear that the kit or the install was at fault. I don’t even think any solenoids are performing poorly, the system just wasn’t liking the aerated transmission oil.

Glenview is going to verify the fluid level is still correct in the morning, but then I’ll have my car back by tomorrow. So a big shout out to Glenview Luxury Imports for performing the initial install and then helping me diagnose the defective filter issue! I’m excited to get the car back tomorrow, and it’s too bad I have to store it the next day. Luckily, she’ll be good to go next spring when I reunite with her after the long slumber.
Glad you figured it out and it turned out to be relatively minor. Must be a huge relief, always nice to put away a vehicle fully working.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Happy To Be Here

Garage
I've added the resolution to the top of the first post for anyone who finds this in the future.

I got the car back yesterday and I can confirm that yes, the car no longer makes the hissing noise it did with the defective filter. On the way home, I had a few opportunities to open up the car and I can also say that the car is now shifting much quicker than stock. With the aerated transmission oil issue resolved, I have my 'creep' back in first gear (as before it was replaced, I had to give the car gas just to move from a stand still, even on flat ground). All is great and I'm thrilled with how everything turned out.

As a result, I would recommend the BOE TEK to any Evora IPS owner who isn't so happy with the shift times as this quickens the lag. My car is now performing as BOE describes and I think it's a great mod. I'll get a better chance to test it out next year, as this driving season is over for me as of today. All I have to do now is wait for spring!!

And again, big thanks to Glenview Luxury Imports for performing the install and the repair. I couldn't have had the kit installed or the issue diagnosed and repaired without you.
cain-it likes this.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:28 PM

Great its all sorted, congrats :-)

Arabian Elises R US
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
glad its sorted

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 02:47 PM

Always nice to hear a mysterious issue worked out well. Please let us know your experience after some more miles under the belt. I’m interested in the TEK kit but there’s little feedback to find on the forum. Also how many hours to fit? Cheers.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisties View Post
Always nice to hear a mysterious issue worked out well. Please let us know your experience after some more miles under the belt. Iím interested in the TEK kit but thereís little feedback to find on the forum. Also how many hours to fit? Cheers.
I'll definitely follow up next spring when I get her on some back roads. As far as how long the install takes, BOE estimates between 8-10 hours. I was billed for 10 hours if I remember correctly. Glenview mentioned that it was also handy to have a copy of the Lotus transmission service manual during the install; this wasn't necessarily needed, but was nice to have while putting things back together.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Awesome thanks. And enjoy 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in