Exterior mirror loose (housing) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exterior mirror loose (housing)

My driver's side mirror feels rather loose. It's the actual housing that wobbles about the pivot point, NOT the mirror glass. I searched and found a few threads but they were mostly with regards to the mirror glass shaking. Are there a couple of screws behind the glass that might have come loose, or could it be something loose within the power fold mechanism? The passenger side feels pretty tight, no issues there. I do not have a power fold switch yet nor do I manually fold them in. Any help is appreciated.

'14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
'02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
'01 M3 - Imola Red/Black (gone but not forgotten)
'08 RS4 - Imola Yellow/Black (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 AM

Garage
If it seems loose around the pivot point, there's a few screws that hold the mirror part to the mount from the bottom, underneath the lower plinth. If it feels loose at the triangular intersection near the window, there's a pair of screws that hold it from the inside, underneath the upper plinth that's held on by 2 plastic scrivets.

Either way, you'll have to remove one or both of the plinths to get to the screws to tighten them up.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's loose about the pivot point, or in other words, it's loose between the housing and the base (part that bolts to the door). The base is firmly secured to the door.

Which part is the lower plinth? I see one screw on the bottom of the mirror housing and it's already tight. I can peek behind the mirror glass and see two black screws on a silver block and neither of those look loose when I wobble the housing. Not sure if those screws have any impact on this though...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:24 PM

Garage
The lower plinth comes off by removing that lower screw on the bottom. There's another set of smaller screws that hold the mirror to the pivot point from below.

It's probably easier to get the lower plinth off if you unbolt the whole thing from the car since it kind of tucks in behind the door skin.
Attached Images

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
The lower plinth comes off by removing that lower screw on the bottom. There's another set of smaller screws that hold the mirror to the pivot point from below.

It's probably easier to get the lower plinth off if you unbolt the whole thing from the car since it kind of tucks in behind the door skin.
I suspect those are the screws that are loose. Think the lower plinth can flex enough to at least get a look in there? Getting the mirror off means the door panel has to come off, right?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarf View Post
I suspect those are the screws that are loose. Think the lower plinth can flex enough to at least get a look in there? Getting the mirror off means the door panel has to come off, right?
I've never tried removing the mirror without taking the door panel off, so I don't know if that's possible.

The panel comes off easily enough. I believe there's a how-to posted. You shouldn't need to disconnect the interior door handle cable, just the electrical connectors.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I took the single screw off and flexed the lower plinth down enough to peek in and sure enough, 2 of the 3 screws are clearly not tightened down all the way. Going to order a power fold mirror switch before I pull the door panel off so I can install that and fix the mirror at the same time. Will report back once I'm done.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally took care of this. Here are a couple of pictures for anyone else that needs to do this. Note that there is a second screw holding the lower plinth on, which is covered by a thin foam seal. Peel it back to reveal the second screw. These are Pozidrive screws, NOT Phillips, as are the two screws under the door panel air duct boot. None of the 3 torx screws underneath were actually "loose", so to speak. Not entirely sure if they thread into plastic or metal but they appeared to just not be threaded deep enough (self-tapping, I think..). Tightened all 3 down as far as they would go and now the mirror is nice and solid.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in