F type owner looking to buy evora - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

F type owner looking to buy evora

Anybody ever owned both or cross shopped both? I've owned an Elise so I'm used to a raw car I am looking for a good mixture of sporty and daily driver mostly concerned with how well the AC works above 100 degrees and crash safety?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos3torr3s View Post
Anybody ever owned both or cross shopped both? I've owned an Elise so I'm used to a raw car I am looking for a good mixture of sporty and daily driver mostly concerned with how well the AC works above 100 degrees and crash safety?
The a/c works great in extreme heat. I’ve owned Evoras in Dubai and now Arizona—no trouble at all. My brother had an F-type with the V8. I didn’t get a chance to drive it before he sold it. It was insanely loud with tons of torque, but he didn’t seem happy with the handling dynamics. He previously owned 911s and has now switched to a Cayman GT4. The F-type is just a very different beast.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByJoveByJingle View Post
Quote:
The a/c works great in extreme heat. I’ve owned Evoras in Dubai and now Arizona—no trouble at all. My brother had an F-type with the V8. I didn’t get a chance to drive it before he sold it. It was insanely loud with tons of torque, but he didn’t seem happy with the handling dynamics. He previously owned 911s and has now switched to a Cayman GT4. The F-type is just a very different beast.
I have the v6s which handles a little better due to the front end being lighter the handling is fine but the evoras is on another level or so I've heard never driven one! I need to drive one to see if it will be the right switch I guess. I'm glad the AC issue is resolved from the Elise. I had an Elise and the blower motor resistor always went out and when it worked it wasn't that good.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I have the v6s which handles a little better due to the front end being lighter the handling is fine but the evoras is on another level or so I've heard never driven one! I need to drive one to see if it will be the right switch I guess. I'm glad the AC issue is resolved from the Elise. I had an Elise and the blower motor resistor always went out and when it worked it wasn't that good.
Never driven or owned a Jag. However, I had a 2011 Elise R, later a 2013 Evora NA and currently a 2017 Evora 400 (manual). Best car ever when it comes to handling, road feedback and still pretty fast. If you decide on buying a used one, get a manual and buy the GRP exhaust pipe to install. Unless you can find one with it already. It sounds super exotic, loud and IMO better than any exotic out there.

By the way, cargurus.com has about 22 Evora 400 (2017-2018) advertised for sale. From 74k to 98k.
Crazy05 likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiadawgs98 View Post
Quote:
Never driven or owned a Jag. However, I had a 2011 Elise R, later a 2013 Evora NA and currently a 2017 Evora 400 (manual). Best car ever when it comes to handling, road feedback and still pretty fast. If you decide on buying a used one, get a manual and buy the GRP exhaust pipe to install. Unless you can find one with it already. It sounds super exotic, loud and IMO better than any exotic out there.

By the way, cargurus.com has about 22 Evora 400 (2017-2018) advertised for sale. From 74k to 98k. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/images/smilies/uk-flag-05.gif[/IMG]
I do plan on updating the exhaust once I buy one ! I just need to drive one first I'm thinking of trying to rent one on turo. I'm not looking to buy one that expensive. Most likely a 2012 base or perhaps an s? Are the s worth the upgrade? And also 2012 interior quality that much better than the earlier models?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:38 PM

I traded an F-Type R for the Evora 400. The F-Type still remains the best overall car I have ever owned (I've owned a few) but it just isn't as rare or exotic as the Evora which is why I traded.

Sound - I rated the F-Type R as the best sounding car I ever owned, till I did the 3rd cat delete on the Evora and now I would say they are par - Evora is more revvy, F-R had more base due to the big V8 along with the famous exhaust trickery.
Speed - If you are coming from the F-Type V6, the Evora will be a bit faster. If F-Type R, Evora will be a downgrade speed-wise. The F-Type R is a seriously fast car, especially with the lighting fast Z-F 8 speed.
Luxury - F-Type fully loaded is a very very nice place to be. Evora is, well, a Lotus, so its pretty spartan.
Handling - Handling is an upgrade on the Evora.
Looks - If there is one car that can make an F-Type look pedestrian, its the evora. Both are pretty, the Evora is just drop dead gorgeous. The styling of the nose of the F-type is a bit suspect and the hood is LONG. Evora has the better mid-engined proportions.
Resale value - F-Types depreciate like a brick. Evora will fall to a certain point then hold steady. Being significantly rarer, Evoras will hold their value better than Jags.

Overall - Evora is a true exotic and a rare, special car. You will never see another Evora on the street except the one you are driving. F-Type R is a very cool car, but a 'normal' car. Answer depends on what floats your boat.
Attached Images

Lckitty, DBG, GuppyCaptain and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:39 PM
DBG

Everyone will give you a different answer. I much prefer the earlier interior (with the brushed aluminum and leather everywhere) and believe the NA power is more than enough to have fun on the street, but others will comment otherwise. Really up to personal preference.

Lotus Evora
Previous: Lotus Sport 111, Lotus Elise 111R
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I do plan on updating the exhaust once I buy one ! I just need to drive one first I'm thinking of trying to rent one on turo. I'm not looking to buy one that expensive. Most likely a 2012 base or perhaps an s? Are the s worth the upgrade? And also 2012 interior quality that much better than the earlier models?
If you get a base NA then you need to look for 2013 or 2014 year. Those have better interior and came with the optional light wheels. The Evora S will be faster but more expensive.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:00 PM

I had a 2010 NA and a 2014 S. The interior had almost no reconfiguration between the model years (until the 400), but the build quality was noticeably higher in the 2014. The only thing that I missed was the solid aluminum door pulls from the early years, which they replaced with black plastic. I would get an S if it was reasonably within your price range.

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:29 PM

Garage
I drove both back to back to back to back. Really convinced me how much of a Lotus guy I am. The Jag is nice and a great car for some people, for sure. But it’s a big fat pig of a car in comparison, at least to my tastes. Ton’s of stuff, almost literally.

Jags today have lost a lot of their appeal as the interiors are less “English” than days gone by.

As soon as I left the dealer (took our Evora there) I knew that the lack of amenities was just fine by me. I felt liberated and free.
Lckitty likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I traded an F-Type R for the Evora 400. The F-Type still remains the best overall car I have ever owned (I've owned a few) but it just isn't as rare or exotic as the Evora which is why I traded.

Sound - I rated the F-Type R as the best sounding car I ever owned, till I did the 3rd cat delete on the Evora and now I would say they are par - Evora is more revvy, F-R had more base due to the big V8 along with the famous exhaust trickery.
Speed - If you are coming from the F-Type V6, the Evora will be a bit faster. If F-Type R, Evora will be a downgrade speed-wise. The F-Type R is a seriously fast car, especially with the lighting fast Z-F 8 speed.
Luxury - F-Type fully loaded is a very very nice place to be. Evora is, well, a Lotus, so its pretty spartan.
Handling - Handling is an upgrade on the Evora.
Looks - If there is one car that can make an F-Type look pedestrian, its the evora. Both are pretty, the Evora is just drop dead gorgeous. The styling of the nose of the F-type is a bit suspect and the hood is LONG. Evora has the better mid-engined proportions.
Resale value - F-Types depreciate like a brick. Evora will fall to a certain point then hold steady. Being significantly rarer, Evoras will hold their value better than Jags.

Overall - Evora is a true exotic and a rare, special car. You will never see another Evora on the street except the one you are driving. F-Type R is a very cool car, but a 'normal' car. Answer depends on what floats your boat.
Thank you for the insight. I have the v6s I think it should be a little quicker than a base evora? I do long for the evora for the steering handling and breaks. For me the jaguar looks a little better but from all I've read the evora seems to be the car I really want. I need to find one nearby to drive to make up my mind. Anybody here have two evoras that might be interested in trading one for a f type? Lol
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
I drove both back to back to back to back. Really convinced me how much of a Lotus guy I am. The Jag is nice and a great car for some people, for sure. But it’s a big fat pig of a car in comparison, at least to my tastes. Ton’s of stuff, almost literally.

Jags today have lost a lot of their appeal as the interiors are less “English” than days gone by.

As soon as I left the dealer (took our Evora there) I knew that the lack of amenities was just fine by me. I felt liberated and free.
Yeah it is a little heavier than I'd like it to be. But I was also surprised how much heavier the evora is than I thought. I thought it would weigh about 2800 to 2900 lbs at the most since the Elise was so light. Is the evoras steering rack faster than the Elise rack? I felt like the Elise had a slow steering rack.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the insight. I have the v6s I think it should be a little quicker than a base evora? I do long for the evora for the steering handling and breaks. For me the jaguar looks a little better but from all I've read the evora seems to be the car I really want. I need to find one nearby to drive to make up my mind. Anybody here have two evoras that might be interested in trading one for a f type? Lol
The base Evora supposedly did 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. Looks can be subjective particularly when choosing between two well-designed cars. But for me there is no question which car gets more attention by the general public. And when I was in Dubai, that got me into the front-of-house valet parking spots next to all the true exotics. Never saw a 911 or a Jaguar parked up front with the Ferraris and Rolls.

This dude was fangirling over my car and ignoring the Italian supermodels around it.

And just another reference shot of the two cars next to each other.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah it is a little heavier than I'd like it to be. But I was also surprised how much heavier the evora is than I thought. I thought it would weigh about 2800 to 2900 lbs at the most since the Elise was so light. Is the evoras steering rack faster than the Elise rack? I felt like the Elise had a slow steering rack.
The Elise is direct rack and pinion. There are “faster” racks available after market, but it’s hard to beat a direct system with no fluid or electrical or anything to numb it.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:47 PM

Usability is way up with the latest generations, so I would try and get a 4XX model if you can, because the interior is much better designed (control layout), more power and also superior system (charge cooled), and if you use the car regularly, much better door sill design, a lot easier to get in and out of. Objectively, the only thing I can think of that is 'better' about the older models is slightly smoother ride quality. I don't think you'll be disappointed, a good friend of mine has the V6 F-type, the Lotus is higher performing in handling, braking, and feedback, with 4XX, everything else as well...
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyus View Post
Usability is way up with the latest generations, so I would try and get a 4XX model if you can, because the interior is much better designed (control layout), more power and also superior system (charge cooled), and if you use the car regularly, much better door sill design, a lot easier to get in and out of. Objectively, the only thing I can think of that is 'better' about the older models is slightly smoother ride quality. I don't think you'll be disappointed, a good friend of mine has the V6 F-type, the Lotus is higher performing in handling, braking, and feedback, with 4XX, everything else as well...
Without disagreeing with anything that Troyus wrote, I will add that the S1 engine compartment appears more maintenance-friendly than the 4xx's -- a lot less plumbing.

Also, given that a) the NA engine is pure Toyota and b) a lot more S1s have been built, wrecked, and broken up, it's arguably easier to find parts for the S1s vs the 4xxs. Well, "easier" is probably not the right word; it's all relative of course.

And one can buy an S1 very cheaply indeed, and then dress it up like a 4xx, at least externally. (Though some of us prefer the clean lines of the early cars.)

But any of the Evora family will be on a different plane from an F-Type. Just two very different machines. Good luck in your search.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the info! If anyone lives near Bakersfield CA I would be happy to swap cars for a quick test drive!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:45 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post
Without disagreeing with anything that Troyus wrote, I will add that the S1 engine compartment appears more maintenance-friendly than the 4xx's -- a lot less plumbing.

Also, given that a) the NA engine is pure Toyota and b) a lot more S1s have been built, wrecked, and broken up, it's arguably easier to find parts for the S1s vs the 4xxs. Well, "easier" is probably not the right word; it's all relative of course.

And one can buy an S1 very cheaply indeed, and then dress it up like a 4xx, at least externally. (Though some of us prefer the clean lines of the early cars.)

But any of the Evora family will be on a different plane from an F-Type. Just two very different machines. Good luck in your search.
Admittedly the engine compartment is tightest on the 4xxs with the larger SC and IC plumbing. On any generation the cleanest compartments are with the removal of the large stock airbox and replacement with the BOE canned filter or GRP in the case of the 4xx, yes their really is a transaxle and shift linkage under there. Non of the engines are pure Toyota, except internally, as the starter motor and transmission adapter mounts apply to all the cars. Intake manifolds and spark plugs are the additional external mods to the S and 4xxs cars but these add a lot of power potential over the NA. I would disagree on the one statement that parts are easier to find on an NA, I would save they are all the same level.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByJoveByJingle View Post
I agree with the prior posts. I owned a 2010 Evora N/A and then a 2016 F-type convertible with a manual transmission. I now own a 2017 Evora 400. They are very different types of cars. The Evora is a true sports car and the Jag is a sporty car with more creature comforts. I went back to the Evora because I really missed the handling and general “driver experience” of the Lotus. The Jag is a very comfortable ride, better entertainment system and has a great sounding exhaust, but even with the stick shift, it just didn’t come close to the road feel and experience of the Evora. The Evora 400 also has a much more comfortable interior than my old Evora (it even has a cup holder) and the build quality in the interior is a big improvement over the prior version.
Lckitty and Kubera like this.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 07:31 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFCLotus View Post
I agree with the prior posts. I owned a 2010 Evora N/A and then a 2016 F-type convertible with a manual transmission. I now own a 2017 Evora 400. They are very different types of cars. The Evora is a true sports car and the Jag is a sporty car with more creature comforts. I went back to the Evora because I really missed the handling and general “driver experience” of the Lotus. The Jag is a very comfortable ride, better entertainment system and has a great sounding exhaust, but even with the stick shift, it just didn’t come close to the road feel and experience of the Evora. The Evora 400 also has a much more comfortable interior than my old Evora (it even has a cup holder) and the build quality in the interior is a big improvement over the prior version.
Jag F-Type mid-engine may be coming soon

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in