The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Flaking clearcoat on the headlights

11K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  agentdr8 
#1 ·
This seems to be a relatively common issue, and although covered under warranty it seems that replacement headlights are on galactic backorder. My local dealer told me that they now just have them sanded and re-cleared. So I'm having that done. Will let you guys know how it turns out, fingers crossed!

#3 ·
I had 3M protectant put on my MY 12 IPS Evora headlights to negate/minimize flaking...had it done on day one. No issues at all 14k miles later...

Install and material cost was $200.00

#8 ·
Picked my car up from service department today. Headlights now look perfect after being refinished, so that's a relief. Not sure if I should re-apply the XPEL that I had put on before.

#11 ·
If you wrap the headlights make sure to wrap around the edges because wherever there is no wrap it will peel. Also make sure you do it right the first time. I didn't, then removed to reapply and it took the topcoat off and I had to have them refinished anyway.

#12 ·
My drivers side just started flaking on my 10', wholly crap, the headlight assembly costs as much as the front bumper.

Has anybody wet sanded theirs and reapplied clearcoat?

Took mine to a autobody shop and guy told me replacing them is the only way he knew to correct, but he is going to check with his painter when he comes back from lunch.

#20 ·
But pressure washing is the best way to get that dirt off after a weekend of offroad rallycross

I jest. I have an attachment for my garden hose that sprays pattern like a pressure washer so not high pressure

Only substantial paint issues I have had are from rock chips and nose scrapes

#21 ·
Alrighty, large chunk of my headlight uv-coat flaked off today. Luckily when I saw the edge of the headlight started flaking a month ago, I got the dealer to pre-order a relacquer kit. My question is, after the headlights are repaired and recoated by the dealer, should i get some sort of clear film to cover the headlights on top of the uv-coat? or should I just have them not recoat and have the film done on its own? Any particular note on how the film needs to be applied? Car is going in to the dealer this weekend. Any film brand recommended? I figure with the headlights out already, I can just get it filmed covered. I heard the film needs to cover over the edges as well.

#24 · (Edited)

I first noticed my driver side looking a bit like this around the edge. And then over the weekend I saw my passenger side flaking off in round circular shapes where the black area at the top of the housing. There's a thin clear anti-uv coating on top of the lens creating that rainbows you color when you look at it at certain angle. I guess in hot heat and humidity or so, with the right condition, the coating becomes bubbley and brittle and then just flakes off. The dealers fix is just to sand off that coat and reapply a new coat. I'm trying to figure a way to prevent it from flaking off again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 ·
Power Man

So you are saying the paint on the Elise is superior? I have never had an issue and I have my PW set to 1.5x the pressure of the local self serve station. However I am not hovering over the surface like you would if you were stripping a deck.

Repainted the headlights too after the clear protectant was removed and peeled some of the clear off. If you put the clear on thick enough and wet sand/buff it out then it fills any nicks and looks brand new.

#28 ·
I believe the rainbow effect is caused by the clearcoat, least that is what the dealer told me. The flaking is the whitish color you see along the edges, least on my car, that is how it looks.

#31 ·
zymotix3, what does the kit consist of and how much is it?

Thanks!

I'm not really sure as it was done under warranty for free. All I saw on the write up was headlight uv coating restore kit. My guess is that it's a set of sandpaper and whatever it is they use to restore the headlight surface. I'll be taking it to one of those aftermarket place to get the whole lens covered edge to edge with film in the next couple of weeks. I feel like given enough time, the new coat is going to flake off again....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
I am starting the see this on both of my headlights.

So, is the consensus to sand and clear coat? Looks like the headlight washers are also flaking.

How much should a body shop charge to sand and spray? Was thinking I could put starshield over the fixed lights once complete.

#34 ·
Did anyone wax their headlights and the headlights still flake?
I was reading about clearcoating headlights and the article basically says that if you wax regularly you will not have the flaking issue. Was wondering if that was true or not.

Never waxed mine, as I did not know it was needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.