Front windshield tint - Crystalline 50, 60, or 70? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 176
Front windshield tint - Crystalline 50, 60, or 70?

I want the look of 50, but I know that is probably a bad idea for night time driving. Those who are running those three choices, what are your takes on them?

Almost out of warranty, and need to protect that pricey dash from UV light..
chauncythecat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 AM
Registered User
 
RWLott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 812
tint level

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncythecat View Post
I want the look of 50, but I know that is probably a bad idea for night time driving. Those who are running those three choices, what are your takes on them?

Almost out of warranty, and need to protect that pricey dash from UV light..
I selected a lighter option - wanted to be able to see inside the car. I use a heat shield (Sector 111) whenever parked outside in the sunlight. All is good.

2012 IPS Evora 2+0 Starlight Black, 2012 Elantra, 2005 Astro Van
[SOLD]2005 Elise Starlight Black, hardtop, touring pack, Larini Sport Style exhaust.
RWLott is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Registered User
 
cdn_alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 783
Garage
I had Chystalline 70 on my Elise. I don't have any on my Evora, now that I have a real air conditioner.

I could probably have gone darker, and wouldn't have made much difference in the City at night. But the big issue is highway driving (or freeway driving without street lights). It definitely reduced my visibility. So, if you don't do any highway driving at night, it should be fine.

'10 Solar Yellow Evora
'06 Chili Red Elise (sold)
cdn_alien is online now  
 
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Registered User
 
khoa_van's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 454
Every Evora owners should do this as this protects the interior from heat and UV damage, not to mention being more comfortable from the hot sun. I had this put on when I first brought my Evora. I have 80% on my windshield and it's pretty clear at night for freeway driving. I think 50% will not be good for night driving on the freeway. Also, you might want to check with the law enforcement where you live. Where I live, it's not legal for 50% on the front windshield.

13 Evora S Carbon Grey w/ venom red

Previous (all manual):
07 G35S 6sp sedan Pearl White
06 Elise Magenta Blue
02 S2000 Rally Red
04 WRX STi Obsidian Black
00 RSX-typeS Blue
85 Corolla GTS Silver
khoa_van is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Registered User
 
GStephan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beverly Hills, CA
Posts: 605
I've had 50% tint on the windshield on all of my cars - I never regretted it. No one notices it's even tinted until I point it out, although it makes a world of difference in keeping the heat out. I should mention I notice no lack of visibility during night driving.

I've seen 70% on a friend's Elise and there's almost no point, in my opinion - it's practically unnoticeable. At least at 50%, it's just a slight change in darkness.
GStephan is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:46 PM
shay2nak
 
shay2nak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calipornia
Posts: 24,864
+1 I have 50% also. Although at night I still get blinded by oncoming traffic.

** save ~10 lbs gain 1 hp ** EQ: Y=(190*X) / (1984-X) where Y is (HP) and X is (lbs)

'07 Lotus Exige S310


WTC 2
shay2nak is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Registered User
 
ruggedbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay2nak View Post
+1 I have 50% also. Although at night I still get blinded by oncoming traffic.
Where did you go for tiny in SoCal?

Daily driven since 2006
Force Fed 380
ruggedbert is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 02:57 PM
KCZ
Registered User
 
KCZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern N.H.
Posts: 2,155
Garage
Applicable state laws for allowable tint.
Glass/Window Tinting | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

2011 Evora S 2+2 in Persian Blue with Oyster
2003 350Z, Track edition
2013 Boxster S 981
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
KCZ is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Registered User
 
invictusmaneo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,408
70% crystalline (or similar ceramic) stops much more heat than even 50% standard tint. My m5 has roughly 50% on the windshield, and my Evora 70% crystalline, both to protect the interior. The m5 was purchased this way. The Evora dash stays much cooler and cuts the glare better without reducing visibility at all at night. While the 50% on the M5 doesn't reduce it much, it definitely does effect it when compared to the crystalline.


For me, the Evora was nothing about privacy or looks and all about protecting my leather dash (that was replaced once under warranty.)

2016 AMG GT-S
2012 Caterham R400 (sold)
2010 Chrome Orange Evora (Sold )
2005 ST Elise (sold)
2002 MB G500 lifted etc.
2003 Cooper S (track)
we'll see what Lotus comes up with next...
invictusmaneo is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Registered User
 
GStephan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beverly Hills, CA
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedbert View Post
Where did you go for tiny in SoCal?
We both went to Sunshield in Sherman Oaks:
Sunshield Glass Tinting - Auto Glass Services

Ask for Hamid, let him know Graham with the white Exige referred you. By far the best pricing and service around.

Quote:
Applicable state laws for allowable tint.
Glass/Window Tinting | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
GStephan is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:44 PM
Registered User
 
Lancia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,376
Remember that film will be tint plus glass tint.

Is the 70% VLT or tint?

As pointed out, the lightest in this stuff blocks almost the same infrared as the darker ones.
That's the most I would use on a windshield myself.
Lancia is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Registered User
 
ruggedbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephan View Post
We both went to Sunshield in Sherman Oaks:
Sunshield Glass Tinting - Auto Glass Services

Ask for Hamid, let him know Graham with the white Exige referred you. By far the best pricing and service around.


Thanks man

Daily driven since 2006
Force Fed 380
ruggedbert is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_alien View Post
I had Chystalline 70 on my Elise. It definitely reduced my visibility. So, if you don't do any highway driving at night, it should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa_van View Post
Every Evora owners should do this as this protects the interior from heat and UV damage, not to mention being more comfortable from the hot sun. I had this put on when I first brought my Evora. I have 80% on my windshield and it's pretty clear at night for freeway driving. I think 50% will not be good for night driving on the freeway. Also, you might want to check with the law enforcement where you live. Where I live, it's not legal for 50% on the front windshield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephan View Post
I've had 50% tint on the windshield on all of my cars - I never regretted it. No one notices it's even tinted until I point it out, although it makes a world of difference in keeping the heat out. I should mention I notice no lack of visibility during night driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay2nak View Post
+1 I have 50% also. Although at night I still get blinded by oncoming traffic.


hahaha, I posted this question because it seemed like 1/2 the people found via google searches with this product said it was wonderful, and the other 1/2 said it limited night time visibility. It looks like that same percentage is held here.

At my appointment, if the tint installer tells me it is not a huge ordeal to remove it, I will go with the 50%, if he says it is very tough to remove, I'll play it safe and go with the 70%, because I really want to protect the dash, and esthetics come 2nd.

Thanks again for your opinions.
chauncythecat is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictusmaneo View Post
70% crystalline (or similar ceramic) stops much more heat than even 50% standard tint. My m5 has roughly 50% on the windshield, and my Evora 70% crystalline, both to protect the interior. The m5 was purchased this way. The Evora dash stays much cooler and cuts the glare better without reducing visibility at all at night. While the 50% on the M5 doesn't reduce it much, it definitely does effect it when compared to the crystalline.


For me, the Evora was nothing about privacy or looks and all about protecting my leather dash (that was replaced once under warranty.)
You nailed it!! Ceramic is amazing at reflecting UV rays. It usually only costs (where I live) $15 more for small windows and $30 more for the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Applicable state laws for allowable tint.
Glass/Window Tinting | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
Thank you for the link. Where I live it is 100% illegal to have any tint anywhere (besides the back windows) more than 4" down from the top of the window. I've had all of my vehicles blacked out since high school, and while I've been stopped for the tint, the officers always let "upstanding citizens" go. If your car is blacked out, and you have 22" rims and a candy paint job with bass pounding, you're going to get a ticket.
chauncythecat is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 08:29 AM
Registered User
 
Lancia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,376
If they use the same glue 3M gave me, incredibly hard to remove.

They don't bring it into my city, so about twice the price here.
I still want it.
Maybe have it done out of town?
Lancia is offline  
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Registered User
 
Lancia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,376
Lancia is offline  
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Registered User
 
khoa_van's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncythecat View Post
At my appointment, if the tint installer tells me it is not a huge ordeal to remove it, I will go with the 50%, if he says it is very tough to remove, I'll play it safe and go with the 70%, because I really want to protect the dash, and esthetics come 2nd.
I used to be a tinter back in college. I can tell you that it's a pain to remove the old film/glue especially at the bottom edge where you can't really reach with your fingers. All auto commercial grade films provide the same 99% UV protection. The only difference is the % of light and heat that it blocks. A cop stopped me once but didn't notice that I have my front windshield tinted since mine is only 80%. btw, if your installer can't do the front windshield in one whole piece, then he is not using commercial grade film or he lacks the skill. I have done both my front and back windshield in one piece.

13 Evora S Carbon Grey w/ venom red

Previous (all manual):
07 G35S 6sp sedan Pearl White
06 Elise Magenta Blue
02 S2000 Rally Red
04 WRX STi Obsidian Black
00 RSX-typeS Blue
85 Corolla GTS Silver
khoa_van is offline  
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Posts: 260
I have the crystalline and i love it, especially at night as it really blocks a lot of the headlight glare from oncoming cars. Only downside is required windshield stickers as they can't be placed right onto of the crystalline without ruining it. Keep that in mind if you live in an area that requires you to keep a permanent sticker on your windshield
rpolin is offline  
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:02 PM
axm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 181
I have the 3M crystalline 90 on the windshield. Surprisingly it works well, blocks heat and is wonderful in summer. I also have 70 on the windows.

I am not a huge fan of the dark tint look in cars and 3m films are pretty effective in blocking heat even in lighter tints.
axm is offline  
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Registered User
 
Dephcon5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Queens NY to McKinney TX
Posts: 273
Anyone know where I can get the crystalline installed on my windscreen near Dallas TX?

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra -

2005 Elise #49
Dephcon5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome