Getting parts from lotus is a nightmare - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

I know this has been discussed in the past, but after seeing how bad lotus is with supplying currently in production parts I would think twice before getting another lotus.

The car itself is amazing. But the company is a nightmare. my car was in an accident back in June. Parts were ordered first week of July. They have sent either not enough parts or the wrong parts. This is something that needs to be fixed. They wanna grow as a company but yet they can't supply current production parts??!? Make a 2 million dollar "supercar" but can't supply basic parts? People would be crazy to buy that car knowing they won't ever get a replacement part.

To be honest I don't know what to even do at this point. Lotus USA knows about it. I emailed customer service today. But I don't know what it's even going to do. I'm not a social media personality so they won't help me.

This is my only car, daily driver that I pay payments on and parking in NYC. If anything just consider this a warning before anything ever happens to your car.
Attached Images

Snowphun and GuppyCaptain like this.

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Maniacal Motorist

I ordered two tapered roller bearings. The supplier has great pricing, but the wait is going on 9 weeks. I was quoted 4-6 weeks. Good thing I’m not in a hurry. If I was, I’d pay a bit more to get them from MWR.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:00 PM

Garage
I know you said Lotus USA is aware, but maybe contacting Dave Simkin ([email protected]) might help? He seems to be plugged into the right people over there.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
I know you said Lotus USA is aware, but maybe contacting Dave Simkin ([email protected]) might help? He seems to be plugged into the right people over there.
I met Dave, Brian Shepard and Joe Renner at the LOG event in MA last week. I was told they were going to get on this but my dealer has informed me they still have back ordered stuff they are waiting on.

When I made a comment about waiting on parts from lotus on social media they reached out to me. It didn't go far
Attached Images

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:45 PM

I’m on week 7 in the wait for parts to repair pack rat damage. First they had to work through the process to get the part in the system. It’s never been ordered before or needed to be replaced. Now we wait. Meanwhile Lotus West in Vegas has my car disassembled, engine out and it’s taking up two service bays—so they say they are just as anxious as me to get the parts and the car back in service.

All of this is incredibly frustrating, but I warned Lotus West this would happen. They are new to Lotus and said they’ve never had trouble getting parts. Haha, oops. Now they know.

I understand your frustration. Fortunately for me, I have a truck to drive around. But yeah, I’m paying on a loan and insurance for a car I can’t drive. It’ll be well into 2 months out of commission before I get it back, I’m sure. Still it’s worth it to me to be a part of the Lotus community instead having to drive a Porsche or a Vette. Maybe one day I’ll hit the lottery and I can be frustrated with the repair regime of Maclaren instead.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

I must say after reading everyone's reply I feel kinda silly bitching thinking I'm the only one. Sorry to everyone else who's been waiting on parts aswell.
Aedo likes this.

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 03:05 AM

Mines in the shop right now too after a deer hit me. The damage isn't horrific but it definitely needs a headlight and associcated brackets and possibly a bumper. I've no idea on how long parts will take (although the shop seemed confident) so just resigned myself to if I get it back in 2019 I'll be happy and secretly hope it won't be that long.....

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:50 AM

Yikes this stuff is pretty scary and makes me happy I have a second fun car. Are parts more available for newer model like my 400?

Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:57 AM

To the original poster, what parts are you waiting on? I'm guessing that if you got in an accident you're waiting on a front or rear clam. Those two parts have notoriously long lead times from Lotus.
brgelise likes this.

2005 Lotus Elise, naturally aspirated and always at redline!
2018 NASA Great Lakes Region TT4 Champion
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

So pretty much my clam was fine and I had a hethelsport bumper ready to go.

What I needed was a frame because the muffler got pushed into the frame bending it. They don't make a S1 frame anymore so now I'm getting a 400 frame. They ordered it as a "kit" motor mounts and trans mounts and all fixings to bolt the new frame in. But they didn't send all the parts including the new mounts. So they are current production parts from the 400 I've been waiting on. In the pic you can see if you look close the frames are slightly different.

An email today said that most critical parts should be in this week.

post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:43 AM

So, unfortunately, you are ordering what is probably the most difficult part on the planet. Be better off doing a nationwide junk yard search. Try these guys. Pacific Motors. LOCATED IN DETROIT. I got my wiper motor overnight! They may have a frame from a totalled car for you!!

As far as clams are concerned, there are aftermarket clams, CF clams and clams hanging in many Lotus garages. You have to search. Intermeccanica in Mamoroneck used to have clams hanging from the rafters.....you just need to find a front totalled vehicle and get the rear section.
carbuff, XHILR8N!, Kubera and 1 others like this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather

Last edited by brgelise; 09-04-2019 at 05:48 AM.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Parts availability is the biggest single issue regarding customer satisfaction that Lotus faces. It could be easily resolved with a modest investment by the factory. It's not just about supporting existing customers. The benefits to Lotus will accrue in future sales and the reduction of conversations like this on the web. It continues to vex even the most loyal of us and is hard to understand even in the context of a company as small and focused as our favorite sports car manufacturer is.

It can't be said often enough.
Snowphun and GuppyCaptain like this.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsled View Post
Yikes this stuff is pretty scary and makes me happy I have a second fun car. Are parts more available for newer model like my 400?
I have a 400. But I guess nobody before has had a pack rat eat the insulating panel on the bulkhead between the engine bay and cabin. My point to the service person was, if they are still producing 400s, then why can’t they grab the part off the production line? I’m sure it’s not standard operating procedure, but this isn’t a standard operating situation. Parts are available for many, even most things. But they may not be readily available for everything. That’s Lotus right now.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:25 AM

Pacific has a frame in house. Both of you folks may be in luck..
carbuff likes this.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
To Lotus credit, the other week I got an Evora rear toe control link ordered on a Monday afternoon and arrived at dealer in Connecticut by 10 am the next morning. By about 3:00 pm I was back on the road.
carbuff likes this.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 PM

I'm frustrated and always wary of trivial parts that can sideline these cars, like door latches and window regulators. And as mentioned above this is all very silly, Lotus needs to invest a few pounds and have a reasonable stock pile of parts like most other manufacturers.

But are things any better with McLaren, Ferrari, Aston or other lower volume brands? I assume cash rich Jag has resolved this issue and owning an F Type is manageable?
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:27 PM

Contact Nick at Manhattan Motorcars. He hates getting parts for Lotus but he is the best in the US at it.

2007 Exige S - in the works...
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:41 PM
A1 Automotive & Smog

Give Lotus of Indianapolis a try. Dino has been very helpful. They also forum sponsor. From ordering, email confirmation, email updates, shipping tracking numbers.

Bryan “Dino” DiNorcia
Parts/Service Manager
317-245-6307
Gator Motorsport
3353 W 96th St.
Indianapolis, IN 46268

GatorMotorsport.com @GatorMS_Sales
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

OP, you have every right to be infuriated. The parts fiasco is completely unacceptable with this manufacturer. Call me crazy, but part of the reason I wanted another Elise SC to go with my Evora GT is because of bull$7!t situations like this. I didn’t want a long wait on a part stealing my already too short driving season.

Lotus, if you’re reading this......if you want to up your sales numbers you need to fix the parts availability situation. Completely unsat just the same as screwing up some of the specs on my new GT order. How hard is it to make a car to the order spec?

Utterly brilliant driving cars and us “drivers” truly appreciate that, but some of the other aspects of Lotus ownership are simply maddening.

2020 Verde Ithaca Evora GT
2011 Solar Yellow Elise SC
2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
(SOLD)
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:52 AM

Welcome to the mail order generation....nobody keeps inventory on hand anymore...just ship it from a central warehouse. Unfortunately, Lotus doesn't seem to have a central warehouse. Its not like it needs to be huge as there aren't that many cars in existence. 1 of everything would be a start or better still, show the factory of origin so we may get it direct.
GuppyCaptain likes this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in