Getting parts from lotus is a nightmare - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:49 AM

I assumed Lotus had very little parts on hand. I did not bother calling them for a rear bumper and diffuser for my 2014 S. Hethelsport sport and Elise shop have them so why wait for 4 to 6 months?
brgelise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:36 AM

Some parts from Lotus are PITA to get. I've been on both sides. Sometimes a part will arrive in a few weeks while others take months.

The last thing I got from Lotus took 7 months. It was the passenger airbag cover. Some of that time was chalked up to BRG (Lotus Garage) but Lotus themselves took months in getting the part.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:19 AM

What Guppy said!!
By the way: Lotus ARE you listening? The people who contribute to this forum are your biggest and most loyal supporters. Among us are the folks who buy the meagerly 180 cars you sell per year in the United States. Do you EVER listen to anything we say/post here?

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Welcome to the mail order generation....nobody keeps inventory on hand anymore...just ship it from a central warehouse. Unfortunately, Lotus doesn't seem to have a central warehouse. Its not like it needs to be huge as there aren't that many cars in existence. 1 of everything would be a start or better still, show the factory of origin so we may get it direct.
Distribution isn't the problem though. It's the fact that with certain parts they don't even manufacture them until they get a minimum number of orders. The vendors can't/won't keep stock either, hence the hefty restocking fees on special order parts.

'14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
'02 E39 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
'01 E46 M3 - Imola Red/Black (gone but not forgotten)
'08 B7 RS4 - Imola Yellow/Black (gone but not forgotten)
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:22 PM

While this doesn't apply to things like clams and frames, a lot of Lotus parts are sourced from other manufacturers. It would be nice if there were a central resource or forum subsection dedicated to Lotus equivalent parts. (Maybe there is and I'm just ignorant)

I just got a clutch pedal position sensor from Lotus and did some checking and found that it's a GM part. I'm sure there are plenty of other parts that can be similarly sourced.
Aedo, Kubera, Ashley and 2 others like this.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezelboy View Post
It would be nice if there were a central resource or forum subsection dedicated to Lotus equivalent parts. (Maybe there is and I'm just ignorant)
Well there's this one from GGLC, but it hasn't been updated in a while. I've collected a list of my own, which I've posted randomly throughout the Evora sub depending on topic.

A single pinned post would be great. I'll reach out to a mod and see if that's possible.

EDIT: I posted it here. Hoping it'll get stickied at some point. The GGLC one will likely be updated with data soon as well.
bruss and wezelboy like this.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5

Last edited by agentdr8; 09-07-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:15 AM

My 2008 Exige was rear-ended by a drunk driver, his 4th DUI, back in October 2018.
I needed a new clam, among other things, which seemed nearly impossible at first
because I know about the clam situation when my 2006 Elise was damaged in 2014.

This is a happy clam story: The service manager informed me that Lotus USA had one rear
Exige clam in stock. It was the only OEM clam in the United States, if not the continent.
I didn't get the car back until this month, but that was not due to the clam rather poor
dealer service and waiting on ancillary parts like diffuser brackets.

The car was at the dealer from November 2018 to September 2019. During that time period
the Lotus dealer went through a service manager change which meant my car was in limbo.
The new service manager did not communicate with the previous service manager who was handling
my repair. It was a mess. No one had answers to simple questions like was this part replaced or where
is my car right now? I would never go through a dealer again for body work, the shop did a bad prep job
and the paint does not match the rest of the car. The prep is so bad that you can easily see lines and indentations
where the body guy did not sand/prep the clam properly. I just wanted the car back though.

EDIT: This is why Lotus owners reluctantly switch to Porsche. This is the last Lotus for me.
GuppyCaptain likes this.

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:59 AM
Premium Member

Exactly what sleepe said about defecting to Porsche. These kinds of stories are why people will defect to P-cars or never even touch a Lotus in the first place. Theyíve really got to up their game if they want to sell more that a couple of hundred cars in the U.S. annually.

Who wants to be without their car for months and months because of not being able to source a part?!
sleepe and Kubera like this.

2020 Verde Ithaca Evora GT
2011 Solar Yellow Elise SC
2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
(SOLD)
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:15 AM

Lotus knows these cars are great, we know they are great so they know we will stay in the parts game.

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Welcome to the mail order generation....nobody keeps inventory on hand anymore...just ship it from a central warehouse.
I don't find this to be the case. Storing goods in a central warehouse for convenient shipping and short transit times is very far from not keeping stock on hand. What is an issue, at least for me in this changing world, is that I like to see the important things I am going to buy before I purchase. I like brick and mortar specialty stores. That is what we're going to miss when the last of the them is shuttered in favor of Amazon.

It's not that nobody keeps stock....it's that small, local operations are no longer viable in many circumstances. It's certainly no excuse for Lotus not to perform in this respect at a level commensurate with the value of its products and customers.

We wouldn't be discussing this if they did in fact keep a full supply of parts in a central warehouse. The problem is that unlike many of their competitors, they don't.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepe View Post
Lotus knows these cars are great, we know they are great so they know we will stay in the parts game.
Only for so long. Everyone has their limit, myself included. A couple of long delays for parts causing my fun cars to sit idle during our driving season would have me looking at other options, trust me.
SS Lotus Elise likes this.

2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
(SOLD)
post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:56 AM
MGB

I couldn't see switching to a Porsche. It's not in the same class in terms of uniqueness and style, in my opinion. Really, what else is there? Especially if you only ever want a manual transmission, which rules out interesting cars like the Alfa 4C
Europa TC likes this.

2011 NA Evora
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:43 AM

Before getting my car other option was waiting for new Supra, now that I have seen it glad I went with Evora.

Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepe View Post
This is a happy clam story
I agree with Sleepe that it's important to distinguish between Lotus / Lotus USA problems on the one hand, and dealer problems on the other.

But it does seem to me that something has definitely changed, and not for the better, in the last year or two with regard to parts supply. The last time I bought parts from my dealer was probably three years ago, when I converted the shift cables in my 2011 among other things. At the time, I was able to communicate directly with Lotus USA's parts person -- then in Atlanta -- and the company had at least one set of each kind of Evora shift setup in stock at all times. My dealer dragged their feet on ordering and delivering it to me, but Lotus definitely had the parts and didn't cause any delays.

John's situation would suggest a very big change indeed: not only huge delays, but sending obviously wrong parts. Utterly bizarre, and definitely a change from my experience of a couple years ago.

Answering another question from above, I can state categorically that Aston and Ferrari do not leave owners of recent model cars hanging like this. Aston's the most direct comp (Ferrari makes far, far more cars than Lotus does), and they can get you everything down to the smallest fastener with only a very limited wait time. Funny or painful side note: Lotus stuff is not any cheaper than Aston stuff.

Maybe all those millions of Evija profits will get us lowly Evora owners more "happy clam" stories.
sleepe likes this.
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:02 PM

I love starting the weekend on a happy clam note!
Julian73 likes this.
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:00 PM

I have found that buying two Evora's works better, one in the shop for 6 months and the other to drive. Hopefully things will stop breaking, LOTUS-Lot's Of Trouble Usually Serious...
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Pretty much the update I received this week from the dealer is that critical parts should be arriving this week.

Lotus USA said they are going to follow up with the dealer to see what else they need.

I contacted the Lotus customer service(UK) thru their email. They did say they were going to have Robert Carron follow up aswell. I felt alittle blown off with the one comment made.

"Lotus Cars USA is best placed to handle your complaint, and we in the UK will do all we can in support."

I had asked that the UK send the parts the USA needs .. and that was what they sent. I feel like this is more of a UK not supplying the US parts problem.

Also just a note. I do have the frame. It was all the other little parts that were needed to make the new 400 frame work that was the major issue.

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:06 AM
Premium Member

Good luck, John. Hopefully things get moving for you. There should be no finger pointing between Lotus USA, Lotus Hethel, and the Lotus dealership. Thatís just bologna. They all represent one brand and the customer shouldnít be the one trying to be the liaison between them.
Europa TC likes this.

2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
(SOLD)
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:11 AM

While I have not had any problems personally the situation is understandable when you look at what has happened the last few years

LCU buys cars from Lotus

Money flows from the dealers to the distributor [LCU]

Lotus sold a ton of Elise and Exige and segued into the Evora and S.

Then they didn't have a car for 2 years.

With no cars, no money. There is a certain overhead involved in running the organization, so they are not buying a bunch of expensive parts to sit on the shelf

They release the 400 and things pick up.

Then they have no car for a year.

And Elises and Exiges are almost 15 years old

Then, remember, Lotus sells the cars to LCU, so once they leave, they are sold, and they are building more cars. So when you say they should have the parts for current production, those parts are for money today, the car already sold is money they already spent. No way are they pulling parts out of current production for cars they sold oh so long ago.

Lotus Cars ludicrous treatment of this market has cost them countless money. How many dealers disappeared because they had no cars to sell, and what serious organization wold bother adding a Lotus dealership when the car company cannot be trusted to keep a flow of cars coming.

There are bad dealers and problems with LCU, but it all goes back to Lotus not keeping cars flowing to this market.
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:23 AM

Let's hope with Geely behind them, which means money in the coffers for the first time in 70+ years, things change. I think Dave Simken needs to appoint one individual from the US organization to keep up with this forum on a daily basis. They may learn something!!! And it won't even cost money!!!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather

Last edited by brgelise; 09-09-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in