GRP Cold Air Intake - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By Champale
  • 4 Post By Redsled
  • 4 Post By Redsled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

GRP Cold Air Intake

My friend recently had this installed and as soon as I heard his car with it I knew I needed to have one. Makes the supercharger absolutely scream. I have done many intake changes on cars and never had results like this. GRP even did a dyno with it and has decent gains. So now car has Larini exhaust, GRP decat and cold air intake. Should have the komo-Tec tune file tomorrow to download and then looks like I'm done with go fast and sound mods. Thanks again Greg for the help with this and get busy on more carbon fiber mods for 400

Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:52 PM

STOP MAKING ME WANT TO SPEND MORE MONEY, PEOPLE!!! Hah man that is awesome. Post a pic when you can.

And I am excited to hear your impressions of the 435 flash!
Redsled and dogtag114 like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Me and my friends always joke about how good we are at spending other peoples money. But at least parts for the Lotus are reasonable. Just downloaded the tune and seemed to go well and no airbag light. It says to check lamdba but I have tried using my reader and it doesnt show that or actual AF?. Fuel trims look good though

Current:
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:59 AM

Could you explain a little more what you mean by "check lambda"? Is that a message on your laptop or somewhere on your instrument panel?

My airbag light didn't show up right away and was initially intermittent but now it's on all the time. Hopefully you don't get it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champale View Post
Could you explain a little more what you mean by "check lambda"? Is that a message on your laptop or somewhere on your instrument panel?

My airbag light didn't show up right away and was initially intermittent but now it's on all the time. Hopefully you don't get it.
Lambda is the alternative scale for Air Fuel ratio. 14.7 = 1.0 lambda, lambda above 1 = lean, below 1 = rich. This can only be checked with a wide range AFR instrument as cars O2 sensors are narrow band designed to basically trigger digitally trigger the ECU with on/off info, i.e. above stoichiometric 14.7 or below.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**

Last edited by Julian73; 06-07-2019 at 07:57 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Oh no Julian73 thats not what I meant (I have logged AFRs on numerous other cars). I am asking Redsled about where he got that warning - with a CEL of some sort or did he notice it via the Komo Tec software?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
Lambda is the alternative scale for Air Fuel ratio. 14.7 = 1.0 lambda, lambda above 1 = lean, below 1 = rich. This can only be checked with a wide range AFR instrument as cars O2 sensors are narrow band designed to basically trigger digitally trigger the ECU with on/off info, i.e. above stoichiometric 14.7 or below.
I have a maybe-important, maybe not (depending on what you're doing) quibble with this statement.

Lambda (λ) is, in fuel chemistry, the stoichiometric ratio of fuel to air: the proportion at which there is exactly enough oxygen available to completely combust the fuel present. The energy density of fuel varies significantly, even at the pump by the side of the road. If you have a fuel with no ethanol in it with an average gasoline density, you'll have an AFR of about 14.7 at lambda. If you're burning E10 (which almost all high test fuel in the US is), then lambda is around 14.13. If you're burning E100, lambda is at an AFR of about 9.

The EGO sensor on the car is actually reporting the presence or absence of free (excess) oxygen in the exhaust. It's a binary yes/no answer: are we above lambda or at/below lambda right now? Accordingly, the ECU constantly dithers the amount of fuel injected to stay a known distance from lambda in one direction or the other.

The ECU isn't concerned with AFR at all. It worries about being out of reasonable bounds of fuel injected per intake stroke given the operating conditions of the moment (which might indicate a component failure), and it is constantly hunting for lambda. That's pretty much it.

Because of the variability and limited meaning to modern systems, it's probably a good idea to stop thinking about AFR at all. It makes sense for carburetors, but not so much for EFI with a lambda sensor.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:05 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
I have a maybe-important, maybe not (depending on what you're doing) quibble with this statement.

Lambda (λ) is, in fuel chemistry, the stoichiometric ratio of fuel to air: the proportion at which there is exactly enough oxygen available to completely combust the fuel present. ....
I agree with your statements, for one I was trying to be brief, yes O2 sensors only measure oxygen content and feedback loop reposted to lambda rich or lean as I stated. AFR is only meaningful in the context of what fuels is being used. E10 vs pure gasoline is not a significant deviation, but the difference does highlight the importance of removing AFR from the equation and focusing on lambda.

ECU adjusts for stoichiometric or preset off that only in closed loop operating cycle and that is not under hard accelerations when current ECU's then refer to fuel tables for proper enrichment.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh no Julian73 thats not what I meant (I have logged AFRs on numerous other cars). I am asking Redsled about where he got that warning - with a CEL of some sort or did he notice it via the Komo Tec software?
Was no warning, but on last page of instructions it says to check Lambda and it should be in .80-.85 range. But I guess only way to check on Lotus is put a sensor in tail pipe. On my Huracan I can record that along with AF on obdi reader, but can’t even check AF on Lotus? I am seeing fuel trim and long term is running up to +10, so guessing tune is calling for more fuel ? after downloading I left for a 3 day rally. Drove over 200 miles today including driving up a mountain and car ran flawlessly. With tune and cai it feels quicker, snappier and sounds amazing. My friend with the Komo Tec 465 kit is also on trip and his car is running great

Current:
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:

Last edited by Redsled; 06-08-2019 at 01:57 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Was no warning, but on last page instructions it says to check Lambda and it should be in .80-.85 range. But I guess only way to check on Lotus is put a sensor in tail pipe. On my Huracan I can record that along with AF on obdi reader, but canít even check AF on Lotus? I am seeing fuel trim and long term is running up to +10, so guessing tune is calling for more fuel? after downloading I left for a 3 day rally. Drove over 200 miles today including driving up a mountain and car ran flawlessly. With tune and cai it feels quicker, snappier and sounds amazing. My friend with the Komo Tec 465 kit is also on trip and his car is running great
Attached Images

Current:
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:

Last edited by Redsled; 06-07-2019 at 06:51 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:16 PM

Garage
Is there and installation guide for the 400? The website for GRP does not have installation instructions and says coming soon. What’s all involved with installing this?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

I thought about doing myself but since no detailed instructions yet I let dealer do it. I’m only about 40 minutes from them so I don’t mind going in. I watched most of the install and looked pretty easy and straightforward, took a little over an hour. Can’t wait to get back in car today and rip through some mountain roads,sound of screaming supercharger is so addictive

Current:
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:34 AM

Garage
Gotcha. Thatís pretty much the hold up from me picking this up. Since Iím still under factory warranty for the next couple years, I would want to have instructions on putting this together and taking apart in case I have to take the car in for warranty issues. Surprised there has not been any documentation from GRP yet.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:57 AM

Ah ok yes gotcha, Redsled.

Looks like a ton of fun!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Did any of you find a way to keep the new intake from pushing into the fender liner? Mine pushes Into it just a bit where the factory access hole is. It fits, but just curious if anyone found a way to eliminate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jream View Post
Gotcha. Thatís pretty much the hold up from me picking this up. Since Iím still under factory warranty for the next couple years, I would want to have instructions on putting this together and taking apart in case I have to take the car in for warranty issues. Surprised there has not been any documentation from GRP yet.
Factory Service Notes has a go by on removing /installing the factory box. GRP install will be very straight forward, much less tricky that OEM box.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell211 View Post
Did any of you find a way to keep the new intake from pushing into the fender liner? Mine pushes Into it just a bit where the factory access hole is. It fits, but just curious if anyone found a way to eliminate that.

I don't have one in hand, but thinking back to my BOE intake on the Series 1, would a zip tie around it act as a stop?

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Did any of you find a way to keep the new intake from pushing into the fender liner? Mine pushes Into it just a bit where the factory access hole is. It fits, but just curious if anyone found a way to eliminate that. Have now put about 600 miles on since tune and intake and car running better than ever!

I think itís because the intake hose is to long. I know on both mine and friends tech trimmed it down to a size that let it sit better
Attached Images

Current:
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:

Last edited by Redsled; 06-09-2019 at 09:32 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:

See my Post #831 here for a positive mounting to the fender scoop:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...4/index42.html
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:06 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer View Post
See my Post #831 here for a positive mounting to the fender scoop:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...4/index42.html

Unfortunately the 4xx cars are modified in this area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in