GRP Evora 400 Intake Installed ... Thoughts and Impressions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

GRP Evora 400 Intake Installed ... Thoughts and Impressions

Hello All,

Just installed the GRP cold air intake on my 400 and wanted to share my thoughts:

1) It's a fairly straightforward install with the most difficult part being removing the bottom part of the stock air box. Trick here is to temporarily remove the left trunk strut and unbolt and move the S/C coolant reservoir (and disconnect the return hose) and it comes right out

2) It's a VERY tight fit and it makes contact with the engine coolant mount, factory roll bar and clam. The nice thing is there is foam to protect the areas that make contact but the fit is incredibly snug … honestly might be better to go with a slightly smaller canister for a better fit. You really have to jam it in and push/bend the coolant bracket to get it to fit. You also have to make sure you push the canister as far in towards the throttle body as possible … as it will interfere with the wheel liner if you don't

3) The stock airbox is VERY restrictive with TWO air paths that are open all the time. Looks like they removed the vacuum actuated flapper for the 400 for more air flow. I suspect this dual path is what causes the throttle blip issues (quick blips ie. heel toe causes engine to bog rather than rev up) coupled with the ECU.

4) The stock airbox is also VERY large and heavy coming in at 5.1 pounds. The GRP intake weighs only 4.1 pounds so you get a whole 1 pound of savings

5) The results ………… are positive, you definitely hear the induction noise and supercharger more … and most importantly, it does help mitigate the throttle blip issue. It's not perfect but it does help 80% I would say … so very noticeably better! Throttle response overall is much better and power feels about the same as I already have the Komotect 460 kit with headers, decat and tune.

All in all it's a good upgrade if you are looking to fix the throttle blip issue and get a bit more induction/supercharger sound. And the extra 1 pound of savings should net at least 0.5 right?

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Here are some pics:
Attached Images

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomby_U View Post
Hello All,

Just installed the GRP cold air intake on my 400 and wanted to share my thoughts:

1) It's a fairly straightforward install with the most difficult part being removing the bottom part of the stock air box. Trick here is to temporarily remove the left trunk strut and unbolt and move the S/C coolant reservoir (and disconnect the return hose) and it comes right out

2) It's a VERY tight fit and it makes contact with the engine coolant mount, factory roll bar and clam. The nice thing is there is foam to protect the areas that make contact but the fit is incredibly snug honestly might be better to go with a slightly smaller canister for a better fit. You really have to jam it in and push/bend the coolant bracket to get it to fit. You also have to make sure you push the canister as far in towards the throttle body as possible as it will interfere with the wheel liner if you don't

3) The stock airbox is VERY restrictive with TWO air paths that are open all the time. Looks like they removed the vacuum actuated flapper for the 400 for more air flow. I suspect this dual path is what causes the throttle blip issues (quick blips ie. heel toe causes engine to bog rather than rev up) coupled with the ECU.

4) The stock airbox is also VERY large and heavy coming in at 5.1 pounds. The GRP intake weighs only 4.1 pounds so you get a whole 1 pound of savings

5) The results are positive, you definitely hear the induction noise and supercharger more and most importantly, it does help mitigate the throttle blip issue. It's not perfect but it does help 80% I would say so very noticeably better! Throttle response overall is much better and power feels about the same as I already have the Komotect 460 kit with headers, decat and tune.

All in all it's a good upgrade if you are looking to fix the throttle blip issue and get a bit more induction/supercharger sound. And the extra 1 pound of savings should net at least 0.5 right?

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
Thanks for sharing! I'm looking into building my own kit, just for fun, haha!

One thing I looked at when I had my factory lower box out, is the intake ports are a much larger opening than the throttle body, so I don't think the restriction is the lower intake box. However, with all of the plumbing complexity and vestigial intake valve, an intake will definitely simplify then add some lightness. Every pound counts!

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomby_U View Post
Hello All,

2) It's a VERY tight fit and it makes contact with the engine coolant mount, factory roll bar and clam. The nice thing is there is foam to protect the areas that make contact but the fit is incredibly snug honestly might be better to go with a slightly smaller canister for a better fit. You really have to jam it in and push/bend the coolant bracket to get it to fit. You also have to make sure you push the canister as far in towards the throttle body as possible as it will interfere with the wheel liner if you don't

5) The results are positive, you definitely hear the induction noise and supercharger more and most importantly, it does help mitigate the throttle blip issue. It's not perfect but it does help 80% I would say so very noticeably better! Throttle response overall is much better and power feels about the same as I already have the Komotect 460 kit with headers, decat and tune.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
Thanks for the update. Would you mind going to the Evora How-To section and enter the unit weights in the google cloud spreadsheet on the weights thread.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in