Help! - Brakes stuck/engaged on 2012 Evora S - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Kmo

Help! - Brakes stuck/engaged on 2012 Evora S

Been a while since I posted here. I took my 2012 Evora S out of storage today and drove it home about 10 minutes. All fine. I pulled into my driveway, which is downhill, and engaged the parking brake after I stopped. Now, all four brakes are engaged and I can't move the car. Is this a master cylinder problem? If the parking brake cable broke I would presume the brakes would be disengaged.

Life's little pleasures

MY2012 Aspen White Evora S w/Black Forged Wheels
2016 Audi RS7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:24 AM
Race & Pamper

How does the brake pedal feel? Stuck to the bottom? Start the car and see how the brake pedal feels.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:28 AM

I wonder if the rear drums are wedged because you are parked on a down hill. Random idea, maybe try backing up first?

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Kmo

No, the pedal feels fine. Loads up normally when the car is started. It's like the parking brake is stuck engaged, and I can't disengage it. Does anyone know if the parking brake engages all four brakes or just the rear brakes? I did pull the parking brake handle pretty hard because the car was rolling toward the garage (whole other story of this calamity this morning).

Life's little pleasures

2016 Audi RS7
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Kmo

Can't back up. The brakes are so engage the car stalls out when I put it in reverse. Tried reving a bit and just burned the clutch. What a mess.

Life's little pleasures

2016 Audi RS7
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:33 AM

Parking brake only engages the rears, why do you think all four are locked?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:38 AM
Less is Better

My guess is that only the rear tires are locked. You've probably got a corroded brake cable that won't pull free once the hand brake is released. I'm not sure on the Evora, but on the Elise, you can take off the undertray and clearly see the brake cable. If it's the same on the Evora, I'd try to get a look at the condition of the cable all the way to the parking brakes themselves.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Kmo

Just by looking at the rotors and pads. Doesn't look like there is any space. The rears are definitely fully engaged. I can take another look at the front to confirm. Not sure how much space there is between the pads and rotors when disengaged.

Life's little pleasures

2016 Audi RS7
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Kmo

All four brakes definitely engaged against the rotors

Life's little pleasures

2016 Audi RS7
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Kmo

Can you remove the under tray without lift the car? I on stuck on a downward hill up against my garage.

Life's little pleasures

2016 Audi RS7
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Kmo

Is there any other way to access the parking brake cable other than the under tray?

Life's little pleasures

2016 Audi RS7
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:54 AM
Race & Pamper

You can try to disassemble your center console and disconnect the brake cable. If you can (and its safe to do so) jack the front and see if the front brakes are locked. You can also remove a rear wheel and disconnect the cable going to the caliper.
brgelise likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:05 AM
Less is Better

Brake pads always rest on the rotor. Without pressing on the brake pedal, there's just no force between the two parts, so you won't be able to tell visually. Look at another car, they all look that way.

How does the parking brake handle work now? Does it pull up further and more freely than it used to? If you can't get the car up off the wheels, it's going to be hard to see anything.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:09 AM

I don't think inside the car is going to be the answer

I would:

Chock both front wheels

lie down on the ground and try to see where the parking brake cable is entering the caliper.

The cable will be pulling to engage, so you will want to push on the lever to disengage.

A large screwdriver and a medium hammer are the probable tools

My M100 would do this once in a while and you could see the lever from the outside of the wheel and push it to disengage
me73 likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Kmo

Parking brake lever definitely moves freely now. My guess is that the parking brake is stuck. I either need to find a way to manually disengage it, or I will have to have someone try to tow the car out of the way. Super frustrating. Any suggestions on how to access and disengage the parking brake without lifting the car would be much appreciated. Thx

Life's little pleasures

2016 Audi RS7
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Race & Pamper

Taking off one of the front wheels and trying to rotate will determine if the front brakes are locked.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Kmo

I will keep you posted. My guess is that because the car is pushed against the garage, there is too much pressure on the drivetrain to disengage the parking brake.

Life's little pleasures

2016 Audi RS7
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Race & Pamper

Drivetrain and brakes are independent systems. You can disengage the parking brake regardless of the transmission position.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 AM

Garage
Here's what you have access to from the inside and the outside. The Evora uses separate parking brake shoes on the inside hat rim of the rear rotors.

If you disconnect the parking brake cable from the interior lever, you should be able to rock the car slightly forward, which should release any tension on the shoes. And then back down the driveway.

If the issue is a stuck secondary cable/adjuster, then you can only reach that from under the car with the undertray removed.
Attached Images

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:18 AM

If you are positive all four brakes are engaged, it is a hydraulic problem.

Jack up one side of your car and try to rotate a front wheel. If it is locked, keep reading.

Has your brake master cylinder been replaced? If it has, there is the potential that not enough slack was put into the system at the push rod adjuster between the pedal and the master cylinder. If the master cylinder piston is not allowed to be released all the way, it will not open the system to the reservoir. Under this condition it can hydraulically lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in