HELP!!! - limp mode with no reason - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Tdady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Parkton Maryland
Posts: 52
HELP!!! - limp mode with no reason

I drove my car to and from work yesterday, about 100 miles round trip no problem. I then drove it about another 50 miles to a karting event, no problem. On the way home I exited the freeway, went another mile and a half to a stop sign. When I pulled away from the stop the check engine light came on and the car went into limp mode. Totally without warning.

Someone please tell me its just something else stupid that these cars do and that its an easy fix.

2010 Carbon Grey Evora
2004 Audi A4 Ultra Sport
1955 Chevy 2dr Hard Top Belair
2004 42' Sea Ray Sundancer
2014 Ford Edge (wife's)
2011 Audi S5 Sold
Lots of Porsches both street and Race Sold
Tdady is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 05:19 AM
Registered User
 
Lckitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,275
Garage
I had several limp home mode episodes. They were misfires type that triggered limp mode. After my ECU update last August everything has been perfect. Get to the dealer.

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)


Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
Lckitty is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:10 AM
RBH
Registered User
 
RBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,199
You should take it to Jamie at Lotus EuroMotorcars Bethesda. Or just give him a call.

Do it once. Do it right.
RBH is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:57 AM
Registered User
 
tbd_Evora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 1,403
I don't think any of the limp mode issues we've seen here have had a serious cause. It might make sense to start a writeup of the causes we've seen (so let me start):
1. Issues related to older ECU S/W - I.e. S/W glitches fixed in a subsequent version
2. Issues coming from a loose connector in the engine electrics
3. Possibly moisture in one of the connectors
4. Engaging and disengaging tempostat within 1-2 seconds (happened 2x to me)

Limp mode is a good reason for an OBD-dongle & app. Recommended practice is to reset the faults once if it occurs. If everything is well afterwards note it for the next regular service. Just don't keep reseting the fault over and over again.
tbd_Evora is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 301
I once had limp mode because of a brake light code error in the car, it was cleared, several months later, no hiccups.
goussama is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Tdady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Parkton Maryland
Posts: 52
On its way to Lotus of Bethesda. Very frustrating after only owning the car for a month and a half and 200 miles

2010 Carbon Grey Evora
2004 Audi A4 Ultra Sport
1955 Chevy 2dr Hard Top Belair
2004 42' Sea Ray Sundancer
2014 Ford Edge (wife's)
2011 Audi S5 Sold
Lots of Porsches both street and Race Sold
Tdady is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Registered User
 
RWLott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 822
limp mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbd_Evora View Post
I don't think any of the limp mode issues we've seen here have had a serious cause. It might make sense to start a writeup of the causes we've seen (so let me start):
1. Issues related to older ECU S/W - I.e. S/W glitches fixed in a subsequent version
2. Issues coming from a loose connector in the engine electrics
3. Possibly moisture in one of the connectors
4. Engaging and disengaging tempostat within 1-2 seconds (happened 2x to me)

Limp mode is a good reason for an OBD-dongle & app. Recommended practice is to reset the faults once if it occurs. If everything is well afterwards note it for the next regular service. Just don't keep reseting the fault over and over again.
I've experienced items #2 and 3 - throttle body connector (I reseated and cleaned), and had the engine bay connectors resealed at the dealer (would get check engine light whenever I washed the car). The only remaining problem is rough idle on a cold start.

Have not run the car since 1st of Dec - winter/road salt. Prior to the 1st of Dec, for some reason the car has been starting OK? The last failures were on successive days - 8th & 9th of October. I always document the codes and clear them.

If I get more codes, will check the version and update the software. I'm hoping after almost two months of no codes on cold start ...

SOLD-2005 Elise Starlight Black, hardtop, touring pack (36K+miles). SOLD 2012 Evora IPS 2+0 Starlight Black Larini Sport Valved (40K+miles). 2018 Evora 400 Starlight Black 2+2, purchased June 2018. 2012 Elantra, 2005 Astro Van.
RWLott is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Registered User
 
McEwansExported's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin
Posts: 78
+1 for throttle body connector. I can tell when is was going to be a problem, stuttering sensation when coming off a moderately hard acceleration and / or lumpy when in first gear and crawling up my driveway slope, meaning I knew when to push the connector back in place and avoid the CEL and limp mode sometime later. Dealer still working out fix, their previous attempt was to put a plastic cable tie around the connector but of course, being plastic, the tie stretched in the heat and is now loose so no longer serving it's intended purpose of a quick work around vs addressing the route cause.

Evora S MY12 - nightfall blue / oyster
McEwansExported is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Tdady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Parkton Maryland
Posts: 52
Throttle body connector it was!! Car came out of limp mode on its own and the CEL turned off after I stopped to get gas on the way to the dealership So aside from having to drive 2 hours in the pouring rain Im very happy. And a big Thank You to Jamie at EuroMotorcars.

2010 Carbon Grey Evora
2004 Audi A4 Ultra Sport
1955 Chevy 2dr Hard Top Belair
2004 42' Sea Ray Sundancer
2014 Ford Edge (wife's)
2011 Audi S5 Sold
Lots of Porsches both street and Race Sold
Tdady is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Registered User
 
XHILR8N!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 laps down
Posts: 6,831
Garage
Miraculously, my limp mode experience happened 3 miles from the dealer (an hour from home) on the way to the first annual maintenance interval.

Software upgrade, no prob since.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
XHILR8N! is online now  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 05:10 AM
Registered User
 
MTLDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdady View Post
I drove my car to and from work yesterday, about 100 miles round trip no problem. I then drove it about another 50 miles to a karting event, no problem. On the way home I exited the freeway, went another mile and a half to a stop sign. When I pulled away from the stop the check engine light came on and the car went into limp mode. Totally without warning.

Someone please tell me its just something else stupid that these cars do and that its an easy fix.
Get an obd reader from your local hardware store, they're worth every penny!
MTLDean is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 53
Today, I just had my own limp mode issue, 600 miles into the new car's life. I'm going to ask a couple of embarrassingly basic questions that will immediately expose my naivete. First, where is the throttle body connector (I want to see if that is the cause of the problem)? Second, I've seen multiple references to "clearing the codes" following some of the recommended fixes--how do I do that?

--Wearing the Dunce Cap in Sacramento, CA....

--2012 Evora S Starlight Black
sacscimitar is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Registered User
 
McEwansExported's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacscimitar View Post
Today, I just had my own limp mode issue, 600 miles into the new car's life. I'm going to ask a couple of embarrassingly basic questions that will immediately expose my naivete. First, where is the throttle body connector (I want to see if that is the cause of the problem)? Second, I've seen multiple references to "clearing the codes" following some of the recommended fixes--how do I do that?

--Wearing the Dunce Cap in Sacramento, CA....
Here is a picture of the TB connector - make sure it is pushed all the way in.

Also, the OBDII connector, it is in the driver's footwell on the left hand side right under the dash behind the ODB sticker. You really need to get upside down to see it. Easiest thing is to go to AutoZone or similar and ask them to do a check engine light reading and let them plug the reader in and then if you want the codes cleared, they will not do that but you can push the clear button yourself. However, I'd advise keeping the codes so can show to dealer else they may 'not be able to replicate' and will not do any work to fix.
Attached Images
 

Evora S MY12 - nightfall blue / oyster
McEwansExported is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by McEwansExported View Post
Here is a picture of the TB connector - make sure it is pushed all the way in.

Also, the OBDII connector, it is in the driver's footwell on the left hand side right under the dash behind the ODB sticker. You really need to get upside down to see it. Easiest thing is to go to AutoZone or similar and ask them to do a check engine light reading and let them plug the reader in and then if you want the codes cleared, they will not do that but you can push the clear button yourself. However, I'd advise keeping the codes so can show to dealer else they may 'not be able to replicate' and will not do any work to fix.
Thanks a lot!

--2012 Evora S Starlight Black
sacscimitar is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Registered User
 
addertooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,631
You know, a thread shouldn't start with this title so close to Valentine's day.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 852
If you have a smartphone I would highly recommend getting an OBD bluetooth dongle off of Amazon or Ebay for 10-20 dollars and using Torque for Android or a similar app if you have an iphone to clear codes and to simply monitor your car's vitals as you drive along. This is much cheaper than getting a stand alone OBD reader and much more powerful as well.

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 S PDK
2013 Evora NA IPS Nightfall Blue/Oyster
2015 VW Golf GTI DSG APR Stage 1
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Eurocompulsion Stage 2
phaphaphooey is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Registered User
 
WestCoastLotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: West coast Canada
Posts: 570
3 limp home episodes, soft wear glitch fix, no trouble since 15,000 miles ago

2017 Evora 400 - Drop Dead RED
30,000 Km - 18,600 mi.
WestCoastLotus is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
The problem is in the brake pedal sensor. I had the same thing happen to me. the brake sensor doesn't only turn on the brake lights, it also sends signals to the ecu and tells it how much brake is applied... the brake sensor needs to be adjusted and it will work. this sensor threw transmission codes, engine codes, *and turned on lamp mode which limited my torque. I fixed the problem and my Evora S drives perfectly.*if you have tried this method please reply to my gmail :*[email protected]*
dennis salagornik is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis salagornik View Post
The problem is in the brake pedal sensor. I had the same thing happen to me. the brake sensor doesn't only turn on the brake lights, it also sends signals to the ecu and tells it how much brake is applied... the brake sensor needs to be adjusted and it will work. this sensor threw transmission codes, engine codes, *and turned on lamp mode which limited my torque. I fixed the problem and my Evora S drives perfectly.*if you have tried this method please reply to my gmail :*[email protected]*
Hi I was hoping you can tell me what your solution was to fix this problem you had with your car being in limp mode. Iím experiencing the same symptoms and Iíve already replaced the brake sensor. Did you have to clear the code to resolve this and how did you know you even had a code, does a light come on to indicate a problem with the car?
Thank you in advance.
medfly21 is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:50 PM
Registered User
 
McEwansExported's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin
Posts: 78
My issue eventually got traced to the wiring harness. Lotus HQ confirmed there was a quality issue with the supplier that lead to electrical dissipation issues that resulted in sensors voltage tolerances being thrown off resulting in codes and limp mode. New harness and zero issues. That was several years ago. I think other owners can attest the same. My car was a manual. Might be worth asking Lotus to check your build sheet to see if you had one of the suspect harnesses.

Evora S MY12 - nightfall blue / oyster
McEwansExported is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome