Hottest Future Collectible Cars To Buy And Hold Now - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hottest Future Collectible Cars To Buy And Hold Now

Evora...

https://www3.forbes.com/business/hot...d-hold-now/12/

2014 Evora (NA) / MT / 2-0
BOE Chargecooler Series (FUTURE)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

I think all Lotus will hold their values quite well over time. The Elige and Evora are true drivers cars with manual transmissions to boot. They’re the exact opposites of what cars are becoming plus they’re relatively limited in quantity. Hold onto them boys and girls!
glb, avonnieda, DBG and 2 others like this.

2011 Solar Yellow Elise SC
2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
6 spd., 2+2, PB Racing Monza Wheels, Plack Exhaust & one bad ass air freshener (SOLD)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:25 AM

Buy and hold so the garage find in 50yrs is worth something??
roarf likes this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:42 AM

Pretty boring list

here's the thing

cars are toilets

sure just like winning a hand at the blackjack table, sometimes you buy the last of the air cooled Porsches and someone decides they are worth a fortune. Or Enzo dies and your 40k car becomes a 600k car.

But most of the cars on that list will lose value more slowly than the average Camry

Sure some guys here bought a used 05 Elise for short money in 2010 and they can sell at a profit

OR can they?

Annual insurance, maintenance, etc etc........

Buy a car you like

Drive it more, worry less
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 06:11 AM

Or buying that Hellcat, putting it in a bubble for 50yrs.....how much does it cost to insure, keep pristine etc over its time in seclusion? Meanwhile the hellcat is replaced by the Redeye, which gets replaced by the.......you end up popping a lot of bubbles esp with the 10's of thousands of them out there. Throw in the stupid vert value upgrade for the twisty frame version....total crap shoot unless you bought the car at 16 as a millionaire and resell it at 65....how much pleasure did you sacrifice all those years? At least you saved the planet from all the pollution of emulsified tires. The whole 60's muscle car craze is pretty ridiculous IMHO. I grew up hating those ill handling boats esp the Buicks my dad subjected us to.

Life is too short to save the car for the next garage queen owner. When done with my Evora, it will have what used to be considered valuable.....PATINA!!
Kubera, nintense and Europa TC like this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

I contend buying them, holding them but also driving and enjoying them!

2011 Solar Yellow Elise SC
2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
6 spd., 2+2, PB Racing Monza Wheels, Plack Exhaust & one bad ass air freshener (SOLD)

Last edited by GuppyCaptain; 08-12-2019 at 05:02 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:09 AM

The lotus world is a practical world in its own strange way.

Cars are for driving, equities and real estate are for investing!
Liftnot2, brgelise and Rygin2609 like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:09 AM
2005 Graphite Grey Elise

Pretty terrible list considering a car with over one million sold is at #21.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:21 AM

I've owned my 2014 Evora S for 2 years i think lol and I think I could get the same value that I paid for back then. From what I see, the 2014 S are still in the $60k price range give or take the condition.
brgelise and Lckitty like this.

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:57 PM
tmr

Think about some of the 'collector' cars that people bought years ago and stashed away, such as Indy Pace Car C-3 Corvettes, Cadillac Eldo Convertibles, etc. that aren't really worth that much today. There's always the 'next big thing'. I agree that Elise/Exige models will be in demand later on compared to some 50's - 70's cars, as the people interested in the latter will be dying off in a few decades, while those interested in the former will be hitting their peak earning years.
brgelise likes this.

'05 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Sport, HT, Stage II, Odyssey PC925, Cup 240r Wheels
'11 BMW 335i (Alpine White) M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, HK, Ipod adaptor, 6 MT, Performance Power Kit - Euro Delivery 5/11/2011 - daily driver
'87 Nissan Pickup (Burgandy) King Cab, used for hauling stuff
'17 Audi A4 Ultra (Monsoon Gray) Premium Plus - Wife's car - Delivery 2/17
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:16 PM

Interesting perspectives all.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:34 AM

Bingo, all the 60-70 yr old folks were in their teens in the 60's. Going after that which they could not afford in the day. But if you offered me a 1967 427 side HO (Yenko etc blah blah) Corvette fully loaded pristine new v a new C8,,,,,,,,no brainer. Or an old Ford GT v the new one>>>

Last edited by brgelise; 08-13-2019 at 04:03 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:22 AM

Drive them until the wheels comes off if possible. Don't save it for the next guy.
Rygin2609 likes this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiadawgs98 View Post
Drive them until the wheels comes off if possible. Don't save it for the next guy.
That's my goal. I bought my 05 Elise this April when it had 8k miles on it. Now it just hit 13k and is still climbing. I intend to wring every last mile out of this car! It will be a lifeless heap when I am done with it!
georgiadawgs98 and Rygin2609 like this.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaru View Post
I've owned my 2014 Evora S for 2 years i think lol and I think I could get the same value that I paid for back then. From what I see, the 2014 S are still in the $60k price range give or take the condition.
True, but even if the value stayed the same you've essentially lost money due to inflation.
georgiadawgs98 likes this.

'14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
'02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
'01 M3 - Imola Red/Black (gone but not forgotten)
'08 RS4 - Imola Yellow/Black (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Life is too short to save the car for the next garage queen owner. When done with my Evora, it will have what used to be considered valuable.....PATINA!!
Ferrari 250 GTO's, the worlds most valuable (or it that just most expensive) car still carry enormous prices with Patina intact .. that are lucky to even be painted in original color and have original engine and body panels, its only the chassis that is important. The trick now is to take a an $18m car with non original stuff and spend $300k tracking down the original engine, rebuilding such and painting car back to original color and poof, its now worth $40+ million.
brgelise likes this.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:35 PM
tmr

Quote:
True, but even if the value stayed the same you've essentially lost money due to inflation.
This is correct, but in the whole scheme of things the Elise/Exige depreciate (adjusted for inflation) less than their contemporaries. Look at any German car, Corvette, or other performance vehicle that are the same age as your Lotus. Chances are that it will be worth much less of a percentage of the original cost than our cars are.

My Elise turned 15 years old last month and keeps holding its own in value (not adjusted for inflation). More importantly, it will be more likely to have a market than some other more common or complicated cars in the future due to the demographics of future buyers in my opinion.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying driving it and will pass it on in good condition to the next owner when the time comes.

'05 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Sport, HT, Stage II, Odyssey PC925, Cup 240r Wheels
'11 BMW 335i (Alpine White) M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, HK, Ipod adaptor, 6 MT, Performance Power Kit - Euro Delivery 5/11/2011 - daily driver
'87 Nissan Pickup (Burgandy) King Cab, used for hauling stuff
'17 Audi A4 Ultra (Monsoon Gray) Premium Plus - Wife's car - Delivery 2/17
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr View Post
This is correct, but in the whole scheme of things the Elise/Exige depreciate (adjusted for inflation) less than their contemporaries. Look at any German car, Corvette, or other performance vehicle that are the same age as your Lotus. Chances are that it will be worth much less of a percentage of the original cost than our cars are.

My Elise turned 15 years old last month and keeps holding its own in value (not adjusted for inflation). More importantly, it will be more likely to have a market than some other more common or complicated cars in the future due to the demographics of future buyers in my opinion.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying driving it and will pass it on in good condition to the next owner when the time comes.
I'm with you. It's nice owning a car that remains desirable over the years and will basically sell itself. I recently sold my E46 M3 for nearly the same as I paid for it 8 years ago after putting 60k miles on it. I drove it and enjoyed it a lot, but kept it in great shape. As with any of the cars I've owned though, I buy them for the enjoyment and not the investment value. It just so happens I like certain cars that are becoming the last of their breed, so to speak.

'14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
'02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
'01 M3 - Imola Red/Black (gone but not forgotten)
'08 RS4 - Imola Yellow/Black (gone but not forgotten)
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:35 AM

my hope is that my car is worth about the same in 5 years that I paid for it last january. Does that equate to a profit? No I don't think so. I am meticulous and do take care of my cars. I have already experienced some Lotus break in pains to the tune of $2500 but I really believe the car will settle in and be a great value versus the fun and enjoyment that it provides. This car has strangely opened up opportunities to meet new people both young and old and share their love of cars. we always try to be gracious and kind to those who can only dream of owning a car such as this. I realize it is not a super car to some but in my area of the world it is a sight to behold. When I visit the nashville Lotus,bentley and AM lot the car always holds it own in terms of wow factor. I think the Evora and R8's are the best bang for your buck in terms of ownership cost. To me the Evora is better and that is why I have one over the r8,well among other reasons. I have seen 3 r8's on the road within 75 miles of home. other than the evoras on the lot in nashville I have yet to see one on the road.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:59 AM

Garage
What a weird list of cars. Jeep Wrangler is #1??? What the *$%&?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in