Insurance costs - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Insurance policies are only as good as their claims process. Over the past 20 years, I have had claims with Liberty, Allstate, Geico and Progressive and they have all been honest and relatively easy to deal with when you need to make a claim.

These specialty / niche companies like Haggarty or Grundy - can you guys post up if you have any claims experience with them and how it went?
There are plenty of people in this thread insured with non-specialty insurers whose rates are lower by a factor of 3 than the outrageous quote. Or what you are paying. I have USAA. My car is currently under repair in Las Vegas. $7000 (mostly labor) to replace wiring harness components and insulation on the bulkhead caused by pack rat damage. USAA originally wanted to send the car to a non-Lotus certified repair center here in Tucson. I suggested this wasn’t advisable for a car with 2+ years of warranty remaining. After some discussion they agreed to ship my car to the nearest Lotus dealer in Vegas in covered truck. That added another $900 to the bottom line. I’m only out of pocket for the $500 deductible.

I may be wrong, but it seems like you are dealing with the cognitive dissonance that comes from thinking you have a handle on a situation only to discover the information you are basing those conclusions on is in fact incorrect, or at best partially correct. To me it wouldn’t be worth the extra several thousand dollars per year in insurance costs to prove I’m right about how difficult Lotus ownership really may be. There are enough issues to being a Lotus owner without adding price gouging on insurance costs to the list.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:53 PM

Hagerty came in the lowest for my Exige. Nationwide has Lotus on the do not insure list in my state. I have friends in the insurance business who told me to absolutely get Hagerty so I dont get screwed if I get total loss. For agreed value of $45k I am at $1300 a year. I am 33 with two traffic violations. Progressive was $2200 for me. Hagerty for my e46 m3 is 500 a year lol. The cool part about Hagerty is that the only charge you for liability once so extra cars are cheap. My deductible is $500/$500.

2007 Exige S - in the works...
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I received a call today from the insurance company I have my buell insured through.

For them Safeco was their best option

Lotus $2,200
Alfa $2,080

I havenít had a change to give Hagerty s try. I forgot about someone else I know who sells insurance, I will give them a call hopefully next week.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:01 PM

Garage
Be sure to raise the deductible up to $1000... pays for itself quickly.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:18 PM

Garage
Try Ameriprise (Costco).
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Jesus, I'm almost 30 and only pay $1100 a year on insurance for my lotus evora 400, $1000 deductible.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:00 PM
Scott M

'14 Evora S. Erie Insurance is ~$700/year. $500 deductible, full coverage with 250/500 limits.
Clean record, defensive driving discount.

We have 5 cars and other stuff insured with them, so the cumulative relationship discounts are not trivial.

'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:07 PM

Garage
I just got my renewal from Hagerty and it went from $1038 for 2 cars to $1335 for just the Elise. I am late 50's and no accidents or tickets, so they should love me. They said it was due to higher claim costs in Georgia, but a 29% increase with one less car on the policy is a joke. A quick look at Grundy and they gave me a quote of $520. It seems like a great deal, so I am wondering what is wrong.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:45 PM

I have Hagerty as well. The rest of my cars are CSAA. Where you are makes a sizeable difference in cost, so these are apple-orange comparrissons, but still useful.

I should also note that Hagerty tries harder than all the other insurance companies I've dealt with to understand their customers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in