LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 07:22 AM

I guess I should have mentioned, this would be for an exige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Time to get the Evora up on stands. Need to remove wheels, and change that vintage brake fluid. Lifted the Elise a zillion times. I like lifting Evora better.

First of all, an Evora has awesome deeply ribbed aluminium pads to lift on.

I stole a bit of Chrome Orange's idea, but a lot simpler (Lotus like?)

Needed:
4 stands. I like these, not cheap but perfect for our cars. And I'm getting under there!

Attachment 452961

Also, two jacks. I have the small one and a larger one from Harbor Freight. I know that place is quite questionable but these do work.

I used this method and it worked well!
Hockey puck or wooden pad that size.

Rhino ramp

This is the key: a thick piece of wood about a foot square.

This took maybe 20 minutes, first time.

Here we go.

Use large jack to lift by rear pad enough to place a stand under the front point (all stands are as short as they will adjust).

Attachment 452969

Place Rhino ramp under rear wheel.

Attachment 452977
I used this method and it worked fine!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #83 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 01:48 PM

Garage
Addendum. Last time I did not use such a thick wooden block, one about a half inch thick works fine and don't have to raise the smaller jack to its limit.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500

post #84 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 10:21 PM

Anyone try a pneumatic built in jack yet? I always thought it would be cool to have, though the extension probably is just enough to get the wheels off as in racing applications.

Ksport Pneumatic Air Jack - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC

Good thread! I appreciate the info

2012 Lotus Evora S CG 6MT
2006 Lotus Elise Aubergine (Soon For Sale)
post #85 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:44 AM

Garage
I have 4 stands and a good floor jack. Still it is a huge pain in the butt until I remembered I have jacks in my other vehicles. Two jacks is the way to go.

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
post #86 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 10:02 AM
JWA

I just came across these, which looks to be an excellent option for this problem on Evoras or Elises/Exiges: https://www.zl1addons.com/index.php/...or-jack-detail
post #87 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 04:57 PM

Good find. Sector111 also has the nifty lifty now too which should be helpful
post #88 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I just came across these, which looks to be an excellent option for this problem on Evoras or Elises/Exiges: https://www.zl1addons.com/index.php/...or-jack-detail
Seriously considering picking some of these up. What are thoughts on the safety aspect?

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 S PDK
2013 Evora NA IPS Nightfall Blue/Oyster
2015 VW Golf GTI DSG APR Stage 1
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Eurocompulsion Stage 2
post #89 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 06:52 AM
Asst. Helmet Tester

Garage
They say you can use these to change your jacks into jackstands, but I don't know any other jackstands with wheels on them.
It's a cool idea but when you consider that you would have to buy 4 jacks to make it work, I think I'd go with the sector 111 nifty lift or the jackpoint jackstands.

"I think you should name her Pippa, because she's British and has a nice looking rear end."

An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge unlike the rest The ALS Association Golden West Chapter Presents The PanAmerica Crew IBC
The most recent big adventure in the fight against ALS SailingforALS.com
and don't forget the epic charity road trip ThePanAmerica.com
post #90 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 07:25 AM
JWA

Yes, I'd say that the safety with that approach is mid-level, but it's a lot cheaper than the Jack Point approach.
post #91 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 07:09 AM
Asst. Helmet Tester

Garage
Is it really cheaper?

$300 for the pair of jackpoint stands or $300 to buy three additional harbor freight floor jacks to use with these jack-stopper things. (jack-stopper is what they should have named these things, and they could have sold a few to parents of teenage boys who are worried about long showers leading to fines from the water company)

I guess you could get a way with only using 3 floor jacks total, since you can get the first standard jack stand in on the front by jacking the rear on that side.

Either way, I can't justify spending that much and will keep using the jack under the tire technique as needed. Does help that I have a friendly lift nearby though.

"I think you should name her Pippa, because she's British and has a nice looking rear end."

An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge unlike the rest The ALS Association Golden West Chapter Presents The PanAmerica Crew IBC
The most recent big adventure in the fight against ALS SailingforALS.com
and don't forget the epic charity road trip ThePanAmerica.com
post #92 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 07:21 AM
JWA

By my calculation it's half the price, or less. Four Jack Point jack stands = $600 plus the jack. Four HF jacks ($59/each) plus four jack stoppers ($50/4) = $286.
post #93 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 AM
scv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet37ski View Post
Is it really cheaper?

$300 for the pair of jackpoint stands or $300 to buy three additional harbor freight floor jacks to use with these jack-stopper things. (jack-stopper is what they should have named these things, and they could have sold a few to parents of teenage boys who are worried about long showers leading to fines from the water company)

I guess you could get a way with only using 3 floor jacks total, since you can get the first standard jack stand in on the front by jacking the rear on that side.

Either way, I can't justify spending that much and will keep using the jack under the tire technique as needed. Does help that I have a friendly lift nearby though.
Two jacks and stands is cheapest and probably safest (with appropriate jack stands); also, equally quick. Must remember to set emergency brake to lock rear wheel.......

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #94 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 04:17 PM

Garage
I have looked through this thread and similar ways to jack the Elise so let me float this by the group before I try something silly and either crack up my Evora or hurt myself.

Here is the method I think would be best to get the Evora on 4 tripod-style jack stands (13" min. height)....

1) lift one side at lift point "B"
2) place jack stand under front lift point "A" and place race ramp facing backwards under the lifted rear tire.
3) lift opposite side at lift point "B"
4) place jack stand under front lift point "A" on said side and place race ramp facing backwards under the lifted rear tire.
5) with car planted on two rear race ramps and two front jack stands; use the Nifty Lifty bar to raise both rear wheels freeing race ramps. Place jack stands under Nifty Lifty or lift points "B" on both sides and lower vehicle. It will now be resting on the 4 jack stands.

After test lifting one side here are a couple of concerns that I have.

A) Rear wheels are higher than the front end. Could this be an issue whereby the car slides forward?
B) For step 2 above I am concerned of the angle that the jack stand will be placed under lift point "A". Has this caused sliding of the jack stand for anyone?

2016 Ruter #31 Bus, (not Ardent) Red
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1971 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow
post #95 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 05:06 PM

Garage
That's how I get all wheels up in the air, except I use 2 static jack stands in front, and instead of a Nifty Lifty bar in the rear, I set the wheels onto a board on top of my Race Ramps, which then allows me to take the jack out, and place 2 hydraulic jack stands on the B points. All of the stands with hockey pucks on them to avoid any scratching or slipping.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #96 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
By my calculation it's half the price, or less. Four Jack Point jack stands = $600 plus the jack. Four HF jacks ($59/each) plus four jack stoppers ($50/4) = $286.
Only two Jack Points are needed plus two regular jack stands ( I use the Sector 111 sold tripods). Jack Points under rear lift point oft one side position regular stand under front position, repeat on other side of car.
Attached Images

post #97 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 07:23 PM

Garage
I was looking at the jackpoints, however, I have a NAPA 3.5 ton pro jack which has a wider arm (6.5") than the jackpoint allows. I was very interested in this solution but I don't want buy another hydraulic jack after I just spent some coin on the NAPA one. This is why I am considering 4 Esco stands and the Nifty Lifty. Also, I can use the Nifty Lifty for both the Elise and the Evora..... bonus.

BTW, your jackpoints are the perfect height. Yours are the regular height, correct? If so I would not go with the low profile ones that they had suggested to you after the fact.

2016 Ruter #31 Bus, (not Ardent) Red
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1971 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow
post #98 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypaspazz View Post
I was looking at the jackpoints, however, I have a NAPA 3.5 ton pro jack which has a wider arm (6.5") than the jackpoint allows. I was very interested in this solution but I don't want buy another hydraulic jack after I just spent some coin on the NAPA one. This is why I am considering 4 Esco stands and the Nifty Lifty. Also, I can use the Nifty Lifty for both the Elise and the Evora..... bonus.

BTW, your jackpoints are the perfect height. Yours are the regular height, correct? If so I would not go with the low profile ones that they had suggested to you after the fact.
I do have the normal and LP caps but must use the normal on the Evora. Besides the height difference, the LP just didn't clear the underrated enough.
post #99 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texevora View Post
I think this is the BEST

2014 Evora (NA) / MT / 2-0
BOE Chargecooler Series (FUTURE)
post #100 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:05 PM

^ those are really cool if you don't need to take off the wheel for the job you're working on... Which in my experience is rarely the case

2005 Elise - Storm Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in